Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:41 PM

490 posts, read 679,568 times

Advertisements

Man Utd

On the basis that you live closer to Old Trafford than most of their fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,228,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
My inclination would be towards Swansea City or Arsenal as they both play the type of football I like to watch.
As a non-soccer-knowledgeable-American, may I ask what type of football that is? Aggressive? Speedy? Technically sophisticated?

I have to admit that I find English football puzzling and frustrating to watch.

Though not as much as cricket. Good lord.

But I hope to learn to appreciate it. I've had quite enough of American football with its interminable delays and ubiquitous thuggery...

Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Man Utd

On the basis that you live closer to Old Trafford than most of their fans.
Maybe, maybe not. I just looked it up: 7,216.18795748 kilometres, or 4484 miles. Though I think that may be using the polar route.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As a non-soccer-knowledgeable-American, may I ask what type of football that is? Aggressive? Speedy? Technically sophisticated?

I have to admit that I find English football puzzling and frustrating to watch.

Though not as much as cricket. Good lord.
I actually find T20 cricket to be fun to watch. Obvoiusly test matches will not only test the players' endurance but also test any fan's dedication to the sport...

Old 10-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ah, there we go again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

Actually Newcastle had a good day yesterday too, managed a 2-2 draw with 10 Newcastle shirts against 12 Liverpool shirts (one of those shirts was black) for one half (in the first half it was 11 against 12) and one of those goals was a penalty.

However Sunderland had an excellent day, they scored twice, unfortunately in their own goal, added to the two Swansea put past them it's an awesome result.
I may be wrong, but this post seems to be absolutely drenched with sarcasm.

Buck up there, lad. Things could be worse. You could be forced to choose between elephants and jackasses at election time, as we Americans are.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I actually find T20 cricket to be fun to watch. Obvoiusly test matches will not only test the players' endurance but also test any fan's dedication to the sport...
I'm not sure what "T20" means, but I did try to swing a cricket bat once. Damned heavy!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what "T20" means, but I did try to swing a cricket bat once. Damned heavy!
Twenty20 is a shorter format designed to complete a match within an approximitely three-hour window to make it more spectator/television-friendly.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,232,174 times
Quote:
I may be wrong, but this post seems to be absolutely drenched with sarcasm.

Buck up there, lad. Things could be worse. You could be forced to choose between elephants and jackasses at election time, as we Americans are.
I also have to choose between the elephants and jackasses... Dual National.

The first paragraph was indeed self-deprecating (not so much sarcastic)

The second was actually honest (except for the 12 men Liverpool had, but the Referee was a little biased)

The third was entirely honest. You can tell a Newcastle supporter, because he's happy when Newcastle win, and even happier when Sunderland lose.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM

490 posts, read 679,568 times
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I just looked it up: 7,216.18795748 kilometres, or 4484 miles. Though I think that may be using the polar route.
4000 miles away + a fondness for prawn sandwiches = the perfect Man U fan!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:42 PM

586 posts, read 826,760 times
Quote:
They try and play possession football with a liking for attractiveness in the play. They still want to get the right result, which is winning, but they like to do it with a certain style. It's a fluid style of football and on occasions can almost look choreographed. Man City can also play this way as can Liverpool. Everton, with their new manager, look like they may well be heading in this direction too.

When it is done well it can sometimes resemble a style known as Total Football. This is more often used when describing the styles played by Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan(pre '00s) and Bayern Munich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom