Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,228,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
You can't just manufacture affection just like that. Like true love, it will come to you. Whatever team you choose though, please don't refer to them as "we"; it sounds a bit pretentious when you don't even understand the accent and vocabulary of the locals. Accept you'll never be one of them.

You get your typical American "massive Liverpool fan" or whatever complaining on YouTube videos because he can't understand Scousers and he wants subtitles. Don't be that person.
I do. I won't.

P.S. What's "Scousers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Man Utd

On the basis that you live closer to Old Trafford than most of their fans.
This made me chuckle! :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I do. I won't.

P.S. What's "Scousers"?
Don't go for Liverpool! If you must go for a team in that city go for Everton (much nicer fans) - I suggest you go for a team based in the city you would most like to visit if you ever came to the UK perhaps?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM

16,545 posts, read 17,308,515 times
Funny how no-one has suggested Stoke.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Don't go for Liverpool! If you must go for a team in that city go for Everton (much nicer fans) - I suggest you go for a team based in the city you would most like to visit if you ever came to the UK perhaps?
Given the two options, I'd be more inclined to back Everton after learning that Onslow from "Keeping Up Appearances" is an Everton supporter. Onslow rules.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Thanks. Excellent suggestion. But I have two concerns.

First, the maternal side of my family is from Nuneaton, and I don't think they have a team. (I must confess, in fact, that I'm not even sure where Nuneaton is located.)

Secondly, I'm a lifelong George Orwell addict, and I have always been fascinated by Wigan, owing to Orwell's masterpiece The Road to Wigan Pier. I seem to recall Wigan as a Premier league team, but I think they've been relegated...

I hear good things about Liverpool, though. As I mentioned above, I have a friend from Bootle, which I believe is in that vicinity.

Another possibility might be Bristol (providing of course that Bristol has a Premier League team). That was my mother's port of departure when her family emigrated to the States in 1913, just in time to prevent her father and her six brothers from becoming fodder for Douglas Haig and Lord Kitchener.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,586,124 times
Quote:
I hear good things about Liverpool, though. As I mentioned above, I have a friend from Bootle, which I believe is in that vicinity.
You are a lucky guy then! A nice pleading phone call and a plane tix could get you into a famous stadium over there in 'Pool!..Oh the places you can go to.....;-)....

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You are a lucky guy then! A nice pleading phone call and a plane tix could get you into a famous stadium over there in 'Pool!..Oh the places you can go to.....;-)....
No luck, I'm afraid. He lives in Poland now.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,586,124 times
oh sorry there. But perhaps instead of 'Pool you could see how the Polish football league plays....;-)...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
oh sorry there. But perhaps instead of 'Pool you could see how the Polish football league plays....;-)...
Indeed. Poland is amazing. I've been there a few times. The Krakow followers are pretty rowdy. Luckily, I haven't the foggiest what they're shouting at each other and at me. Sounds fierce, though. So Many Consonants -- So Few Vowels!

The US needs to up our economy and resuscitate the old dollar before I can afford to visit Britain again. Pity...my one trip there (how many years ago? ten?) was such a joy. Folkstone, Battle, Canterbury, London, Oxford, Warwick, the Cotswolds....even an official greeting from a semi-royal person who said something like "We ah sew veddy veddy PLEEZD that you ah HEEAH with us ah-toDAY." It was terrific.

Of course, that's back when I was semi-important myself. Seems like a lifetime ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom