Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times

Advertisements

Yes, I like Britain too. I wish I could move there for the football. But I think I'd have to a good bankroll of pounds to watch stadium football there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
It would all be worth it if things like this happened more frequently...

Baffling, Magical Six-Pass Arsenal Goal Is A Magical Gift From Heaven

Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I also like The Arsenal but they are so frustrating, and could be held guilty of the expression that they flatter to deceive.

So often they fall at the critical hurdle and though they are great when they are on song, as they are of late, if you were a hardened supporter you might wonder when it's going to go pear shaped.

Still, though it's early days the league looks more open than in recent times.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
Maybe when the pundits look back they'll say things changed when Fergie left?? No doubt one of the great managers in English football perhaps even globally. Moyes, no slouch himself, has big shoes to fill. But perhaps the fact that more non-English players are now in the English game probably will really change things in the league in the next few years. not sure if there's a limit or if that will change. And with more and more money coming in well.....the Premiership arguably can look at little different in more ways than one.

And it's kind of quaint and nostalgic to see Association Football Rules of 1863.....This was one of them:

'No player shall wear projecting nails, iron plates, or gutta percha on the soles or heels of his boots'...
;-).... and there was no goalkeeper then....

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It would all be worth it if things like this happened more frequently...

Baffling, Magical Six-Pass Arsenal Goal Is A Magical Gift From Heaven
Huh. I had to watch that about a dozen times to figure out how that wasn't offside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I also like The Arsenal but they are so frustrating, and could be held guilty of the expression that they flatter to deceive.

So often they fall at the critical hurdle and though they are great when they are on song, as they are of late, if you were a hardened supporter you might wonder when it's going to go pear shaped.

As a Chicago Cubs fan, I think I can relate. They last won the championship in 1903. They last made an appearance in the championship series in 1945. They've been tantalizingly close several times since.

When the movie Fever Pitch was re-scripted for an American audience, they based it around the protagonist's obsession with the Boston Red Sox. The major complaint about the American version of the movie (other than it just sucks overall) is that they gave it a typical "Hollywood" ending by having the Red Sox actually win the championship rather than have the protagonist endure yet another season of futility. They didn't originally intend to do that though. When the movie went to script the Red Sox hadn't won the championship in some 80 years. And then in the middle of production, I'll be damned if they didn't finally win it. So they kinda had to re-write the movie around the end of the championship drought.

Last edited by Drover; 10-22-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If you want a team that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, wins big over much larger clubs (against form), and will never fail to provide immense frustration and continual barely enough disappointment to give hope in competition, the transfer market, sponsorship or just plain idiotic club management decisions I'd suggest my home team Newcastle United.
So true but I still watch Newcastle whenever I can.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh. I had to watch that about a dozen times to figure out how that wasn't offside.
I will NEVER understand the offside rule in soccer.

Quote:
As a Chicago Cubs fan
You have my profound sympathy.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I will NEVER understand the offside rule in soccer.
You know how in hockey, you can't cross the blue line before the puck does? Same deal in soccer, only think of the deepest defender other than the goalkeeper as a moving "blue line." If you as an attacker cross behind the deepest defender before the ball does, you're offside.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know how in hockey, you can't cross the blue line before the puck does? Same deal in soccer, only think of the deepest defender other than the goalkeeper as a moving "blue line." If you as an attacker cross behind the deepest defender before the ball does, you're offside.
Thanks. That helps.

Sorry about the Cubbies.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That helps.

Sorry about the Cubbies.
I suppose I could always become a White Sox fan....

... *shudder* ...

... no I couldn't.

Of course I never hear the end of it from my wife's downstate family members who are Cards fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom