Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 17,306,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I seem to be getting a lot of Arsenal recommendations.

If I decide to become a Gooner, will I have to learn a song?

Yes- this one;

Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 AM

14,806 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:

If you become a Gooner I for one will never speak to you again!! - although it could be worse I suppose, you could decide to follow Spurs which really would be tragic! :-D

Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times
I am enjoying this thread immensely. Jezer, you are insane. And let me be the first to add that it's good to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks to all of you crazy Brits (and my fellow Yanks who have commented so tellingly)!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you become a Gooner I for one will never speak to you again!! - although it could be worse I suppose, you could decide to follow Spurs which really would be tragic! :-D
I appreciate your candor, but I haven't the foggiest notion of why you feel so strongly that way. Is your resistance to Arsenal and 'Tot'num' analogous to American baseball fans who despise the New York Yankees (I know I do. The mere sight of a NY cap -- or da sounda da noo yawk accent, for that matter -- makes my gorge rise)?

Could you enlighten me a bit? I'm interested in both positive and negative motivations, here.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
LOL

I kind of envy you Midwesterners. Missouri folks have their choice of the Royals or Cards, or even the Chicago teams.
Chicago teams have very little market share in Missouri. Any market share they do have would almost certainly be attributed to transplants.

The Cardinals market share, on the other hand, swells well northward into Illinois. It's kind of annoying actually.

What's interesting is that while the entire southern half of Illinois is Cardinals territory, Rams territory stops dead at the borders of the metro area. With the exception of Metro East, Bears territory extends basically the entire length of the state, even well south of STL. So you have a whole swath of people who are Cardinals fans in spring and summer, then Bears fans in fall and winter. But you won't find that Bear fandom crossing over to the other side of the river into MO, even up north and outside the STL metro.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chicago teams have very little market share in Missouri. Any market share they do have would almost certainly be attributed to transplants.

The Cardinals market share, on the other hand, swells well northward into Illinois. It's kind of annoying actually.

What's interesting is that while the entire southern half of Illinois is Cardinals territory, Rams territory stops dead at the borders of the metro area. With the exception of Metro East, Bears territory extends basically the entire length of the state, even well south of STL. So you have a whole swath of people who are Cardinals fans in spring and summer, then Bears fans in fall and winter. But you won't find that Bear fandom crossing over to the other side of the river into MO, even up north and outside the STL metro.
Wow. Who would have guessed that the stolid Midwest could harbor such complex loyalties and hatreds?

The whole situation sounds disturbingly like 1914 in the Balkans. One hopes that Prince Fielder will avoid visiting Sarajevo!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 PM

14,806 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
I appreciate your candor, but I haven't the foggiest notion of why you feel so strongly that way. Is your resistance to Arsenal and 'Tot'num' analogous to American baseball fans who despise the New York Yankees (I know I do. The mere sight of a NY cap -- or da sounda da noo yawk accent, for that matter -- makes my gorge rise)?

Could you enlighten me a bit? I'm interested in both positive and negative motivations, here.
I am a Chelsea supporter! football in the UK is full of rivalries and both Arsenal and Spurs are 'other' London clubs - Chelsea supporters have a particular 'dislike' of Spurs - me included! (One of my closest friends is a Spurs fan though - the fool!) :-)

Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times

Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,585,803 times
Good stuff!..Btw... I know Onslow's with Everton..but what about Mrs Bucket and Richard??? Torquay??????....Rushden and Diamonds???....;-).

And Stoke shojuld be probably singin' this one after that game with manu! ...I felt kind of bad for Mark!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf

Yes- this one;

Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,585,803 times
Oh and yeledaf..I would say the Gooners are a fine fine football team as are the Chelseas, the manus, the Villas etc. But I would humbly put it to you that with Liverpool you, you ,will never ever walk alone!' if you put your hand in Mr. Shankly's ...Wins are always the goal when slapping the Anfiled sign but defeats are just dust-ups where one gets up and tries and tries ag'in...the battle goes on! .............;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom