U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,419,999 times

Advertisements

Due to the discrimination against Catholics and the Irish in the UK for so long, do you think that to this day, people of Catholic background and Irish ancestry tend to be more likely to be in poverty than people who are of Protestant or British background? Or is there not really any legacy left over economically speaking?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,954,870 times
I think the Irish after a few generations seem to blend into other British populations. Some of the most famous English entertainers have some Irish ancestry.

Kate Bush, David Bowie, Billy Idol, Johnny Lydon (Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols), most of the Smiths (including Morissey), Liam and Noel Gallagher, David Essex, Boy George, 3 of the Beatles etc. The list could go on and on. Anyway it shows the impact in just one area that the Irish have had on Britain.

There have been a couple of British PMs with Irish ancestry Tony Blair and James Callaghan even Maggie Thatcher had some Irish ancestry.

So in answer to your question I don't think now there would be any drawback to being Irish or of Irish ancestry in the UK. There are a large amount of English with Irish ancestry.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:17 AM

12,096 posts, read 9,538,899 times
No - there hasn't been any 'discrimination' against the Irish or Catholics in general in England for a very long time, many English people have Irish ancestory at some point in their family history.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 AM

14,255 posts, read 16,895,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Due to the discrimination against Catholics and the Irish in the UK for so long, do you think that to this day, people of Catholic background and Irish ancestry tend to be more likely to be in poverty than people who are of Protestant or British background? Or is there not really any legacy left over economically speaking?
There is no evidence of economic, social, educational or political discrimination against Catholics or the Irish in the UK.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 AM

62,809 posts, read 51,282,785 times
Is it still against the law for the monarch or heir to the throne to be married to someone who is Catholic? I've always heard that but don't know if there's any truth to it. I guess I could google it.

OK I just googled it and found that it's OK for them to marry a Catholic but they can't be one.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 AM

62,809 posts, read 51,282,785 times
Very interesting article about the monarchy being allowed to marry a Catholic. This guy makes an argument against it because when a non Catholic marries a Catholic, they have to swear that they will raise their children in the Catholic faith.

Why It's Absurd For Britain To Allow Catholics To Marry The Monarch - Business Insider

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Is it still against the law for the monarch or heir to the throne to be married to someone who is Catholic? I've always heard that but don't know if there's any truth to it. I guess I could google it.

OK I just googled it and found that it's OK for them to marry a Catholic but they can't be one.
Which is pretty irrelevant to just about everyone in the UK.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,221,104 times
The question was about English Catholics, but the replies are about the UK. I don't get the impression that the Catholics in Scotland are poorer than the protestants. Catholics in Scotland are descended from Irish or Highlanders.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
The question was about English Catholics, but the replies are about the UK. I don't get the impression that the Catholics in Scotland are poorer than the protestants. Catholics in Scotland are descended from Irish or Highlanders.
There is often a tendency to be rather binary when it comes to looking at religious discrimination. There are more than two religions and there are the non-religious as well.

With regard to Scotland, and according to the 2001 census and the Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, those raised with no religion are the least likely to have middle-class jobs. There is a much bigger gap between the non-religious and religious than there is between catholics and protestants.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,221,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There is often a tendency to be rather binary when it comes to looking at religious discrimination. There are more than two religions and there are the non-religious as well.

With regard to Scotland, and according to the 2001 census and the Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, those raised with no religion are the least likely to have middle-class jobs. There is a much bigger gap between the non-religious and religious than there is between catholics and protestants.
Interesting. My husband is Catholic and Scottish and had a middle class job. But he was the only one in his family of 5 kids that went to uni.

And as far as I've seen, the only time religion matters here is when it comes to sports - like Celtic v Rangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom