Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM

97 posts, read 189,585 times

Advertisements

Almost every time, when I fill an application form for a job position in the UK I must (!!!) to disclose my nationality. Why do I have to disclose my nationality? If you (employer) want to know am I illegible or not to work in the UK it is enough to ask: Are illegible to work in UK or not? I don’t have to disclose my national background. But not, together with the question about illegibility I must to state my national background! There is hidden discrimination behind it.

The other thing is age. Why do they ask me about my age? Britain has antidiscrimination law. Why employer have right to ask it? The potential employee (especially during recession) will be afraid not to answer this question. And even if he / she enough brave not to disclose it there is almost always no option to do it. 99% of the websites with applications form just state you must to state your age. Otherwise application cannot be send (or you cannot to go to the next step). There is hidden discrimination again!!!

I am not crazy but I will not ever believe that employers in UK will not base their decision on nationality and age. All this rules is just theoretical dummy, if here is not even simple protection in terms of questions in job applications which you cannot ask.
All this employees protections just a myth !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM

554 posts, read 736,370 times
Are you applying directly for a job (e.g. sending a CV/application form directly to an employer?) or are you trying to apply for jobs through recruitment websites? There is a difference.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
Are you applying directly for a job (e.g. sending a CV/application form directly to an employer?) or are you trying to apply for jobs through recruitment websites? There is a difference.
If I apply to graduate program directly to the company, employer asks these questions. When you fill the online application you cannot simply go to the next page until you stated this information.

If I apply through agencies, the same – they ask it.

Surprise! If I apply even to the same companies in the USA – nobody asks these questions (in the US part of the company).

If I send just CV straight to employer (I don’t state this info) but anyway latter they ask my passport at the interview. And give me the decision after several days and during these days they already have my age/nationality data (from my passport).

I understand that they should see my documents if they take me for a job, but they take my passport before they made the decision regarding my candidature. Than I can conclude that their decision also can be based on my age and nationality.

If they tell me yes (we give you a job), just after that they should require your passport where they can see your age, nationality and etc.

I am not a crazy, buy I just see how inefficient is the employee protection is here.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
If I apply to graduate program directly to the company, employer asks these questions. When you fill the online application you cannot simply go to the next page until you stated this information.

If I apply through agencies, the same – they ask it.

Surprise! If I apply even to the same companies in the USA – nobody asks these questions (in the US part of the company).

If I send just CV straight to employer (I don’t state this info) but anyway latter they ask my passport at the interview. And give me the decision after several days and during these days they already have my age/nationality data (from my passport).

I understand that they should see my documents if they take me for a job, but they take my passport before they made the decision regarding my candidature. Than I can conclude that their decision also can be based on my age and nationality.

If they tell me yes (we give you a job), just after that they should require your passport where they can see your age, nationality and etc.

I am not a crazy, buy I just see how inefficient is the employee protection is here.
Well:

Quote:
Date of birth

You shouldn’t ask someone for their date of birth on an application form. People selecting candidates for interview or interviewing shouldn’t be influenced by someone’s age.

You can include a question on date of birth as part of an equality monitoring form if you use one.
https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventi...on/recruitment

Report them. I suggest you call Acas on 08457 47 47 47, if the employer has no objective reason for asking your date of birth in the application process (e.g. military/police) then the company is breaking the law. Alternatively visit their web-site at http://www.acas.org.uk/

Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
Well:

https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventi...on/recruitment

Report them. I suggest you call Acas on 08457 47 47 47, if the employer has no objective reason for asking your date of birth in the application process (e.g. military/police) then the company is breaking the law. Alternatively visit their web-site at http://www.acas.org.uk/
You must be kidding me. Thank you for information. I can report 99% of the companies. To be honest (if I even make report) I doubt that anybody will care about it in UK. This is not the United States where this practice is taken very seriously.

Almost every single application for a graduate program in the UK required you to state age and nationality. And you have no option to skip it!

If you apply for more advance position to big companies there is the same story!

If you just send the CV to employer they require your passport (like I wrote above).

To be honest I have seen only once the option where I could chose not to disclose this information. Like I said before people can be just afraid not to disclose it because they need job. They can logically think that if they chose the option “not to disclose” or “don’t want to say” their application will go straight to the bin. I am sure that it will go there!

This kind of questions should be illegal!

I definitely will investigate this website.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM

It is what I read on the Acas website:

Can employers ask for a job applicant’s date of birth on application forms?
The Equality Act 2010 does not expressly prohibit employers from asking job applicants for their date of birth on application forms. However, it is not good practice to do so, as this could infer that the employer may discriminate on the grounds of age.

Acas - Rights and responsibilities at work

This is not a requirement; this is only weak recommendation that is constantly ignored.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
It is what I read on the Acas website:

Can employers ask for a job applicant’s date of birth on application forms?
The Equality Act 2010 does not expressly prohibit employers from asking job applicants for their date of birth on application forms. However, it is not good practice to do so, as this could infer that the employer may discriminate on the grounds of age.

Acas - Rights and responsibilities at work

This is not a requirement; this is only weak recommendation that is constantly ignored.
You are correct, it is only a recommendation not to ask for dates of birth. But the reason that the Government recommends that employers do not ask is the same reason that you're worried about them asking for your date of birth. i.e. It could be evidence of age discrimination.

If an employer does not interview and hire people from all age groups, then their insistence on providing dates of birth on the application form will confirm that they are discriminating on grounds of age. If you are applying to multinationals (and it sounds like you are) then they will be aware that the penalty for breaking this law is an unlimited fine, and as such they will have a policy in place to keep them on the right side of this law. That almost certainly means that they will interview a proportion of employees from each age group.

I don't know how the UK compares to the USA in this respect, you could well be right that the USA has a better track record. I note that the USA introduced anti-ageism legislation in 1967, and the UK has only had equivalent legislation since 2006.

If I could offer some personal experience though, it would be that graduate training programs are the most competitive jobs you can apply for. I graduated in 2006 from a good university at the height of the economic boom and I couldn't even get an interview. Only a few of my university friends ultimately got one of those jobs. (2 out of 50 or so friends, and everyone I knew was applying for these types of jobs.) Things are even worse now, The Daily Fail reports that up to 160 applicants are now chasing every graduate job. (1) It stands to reason that to get one you either have to be extremely brilliant or extremely lucky. I don't know you, maybe you are brilliant in some respect or maybe you'll get lucky. But the facts are that you're aiming very high, and I wouldn't rush to conclude that ageism or your nationality will be the reasons you find this difficult.

Eoin

(1) Up to 160 graduates chase every job: Leading firms see increase in number of applications for each role | Mail Online

Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP View Post
Yet if you're a Muslim you are allowed to wear a burka with your face completely covered if you go through airport security as you've got 'human rights'.

It's quite funny really.
Explain?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Explain what?
1. Women wearing a face covering of any kind are not permitted to pass through UK border control without showing their face to confirm their identity.
2. Even if they didn't have to show their face (and again I tell you they do), it would have absolutely nothing to do with ageism in recruitment. If you want to make an analogy then fine, but at least try and pick one that makes some sort of sense.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yet if you're a Muslim you are allowed to wear a burka with your face completely covered if you go through airport security as you've got 'human rights'.

It's quite funny really.
No, I am not a Muslim. But your joke could be offensive for some groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom