Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,334 times

Advertisements

Hi husband has accepted a job for 53000 in Devon. We are leaving a very good job and comfortable life in néw Zealand behind. This is a great career move in the long run for my husband and also for us to loom around and travel with children. But is this going to be enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Define enough.

Enough for what?

I'm not trying to be perverse.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnz View Post
Hi husband has accepted a job for 53000 in Devon. We are leaving a very good job and comfortable life in néw Zealand behind. This is a great career move in the long run for my husband and also for us to loom around and travel with children. But is this going to be enough?
Well here that would be good if that is his salary and your salary also.

Now i'm not sure about Devon but it would support you easily in the middle class bracket and you could probably fit 2 holidays a year.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnz View Post

its well above double the average industrial wage , depends what kind of lifestyle you want however

Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Most live on much less here. Salaries in Devon are very very low so 53k is a lot. However, some things here like water for instance, are a lot more expensive than the rest of the UK. It's a very pretty part of the UK, but it is a bit isolated, and I think that is reflected in the prices of some things. To be honest, I'd expect a pretty significant drop in standard of living (in strictly financial terms), as I experienced moving from the US. I'm not familiar with NZ, so the costs of living there may be more similar to the UK unlike my experience.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 AM

46 posts, read 139,608 times
Go for it, its a good enough salary based on sole income, but you might be living tight depending on the location you want and the rent you pay. Decide what you feel comfortable paying in rent and then go on sites to show what you can get first, don't make a move like this to put your kids in crap schools though, they have enough to deal with the cultural change and don't need extra stress, and of course you don't want your kids having a bad education. I don't know what your husband does for a living, but no doubt with the excitement, new chapter and pressure he will no doubt want to prove himself and get a pay rise within the first year. Obviously you need to know about the cost of utilities, if someone from from Devon could give an idea of what they pay..also when I lived in the UK I had to pay my own property tax when renting…it's always been included in the rent over here in California.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Most live on much less here. Salaries in Devon are very very low so 53k is a lot. However, some things here like water for instance, are a lot more expensive than the rest of the UK. It's a very pretty part of the UK, but it is a bit isolated, and I think that is reflected in the prices of some things. To be honest, I'd expect a pretty significant drop in standard of living (in strictly financial terms), as I experienced moving from the US. I'm not familiar with NZ, so the costs of living there may be more similar to the UK unlike my experience.
NZ is very expensive but wages are way lower than in the UK, so I doubt he'd experience a drop in financial living standards.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
It depends on your lifestyle, but I'd say it's easily enough. I grew up in a family of 5, my parents were making £20,000 a year, but that is 12 years ago. We were able to have holidays every summer, so it was not too bad at all.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
I live in Devon, this is a county of high priced housing but low wages, and £53K is a lot more than most people get.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
I think the OP has gone AWOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom