U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,733,247 times

Advertisements

Asked to pick Britain's best friend in the world, voters remain strongly pro-American, despite the impact of the Bush presidency.

Happy in Europe but still best friends with the US | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM

643 posts, read 1,083,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Asked to pick Britain's best friend in the world, voters remain strongly pro-American, despite the impact of the Bush presidency.

Happy in Europe but still best friends with the US | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

I would have to say despite all the jokes and everything, it is evident that both countrys do get along - even if things did take a turn for the worst after the oil spill!

Britain also need America economically so it is wise to stay on their good side.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,398,001 times
Kind of an old article - that was written before the "Great Recession" and Obama's election. Would be interesting to how those two events may have changed opinions.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 AM

38,704 posts, read 98,959,026 times
Quote:

For what it's worth, the feeling is mutual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I would have to say despite all the jokes and everything, it is evident that both countrys do get along - even if things did take a turn for the worst after the oil spill!
I've heard a similar sentiment many times from Brits who seem to think Americans were particularly angry at Britain for the oil spill, or at the very least, it tarnished Britain's reputation here. It didn't. Some politicians tried to make hay out of the foreign ownership, and it might have worked if BP were associated with a country that is hostile or even ambivalent to U.S. interests. As it stands, the American public was simply not very concerned about the "British" angle. It makes me wonder just how the story was presented in the British media and how much they played the "Americans hate Britain now" tune. For the American public, it wasn't much more than a footnote.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM

109 posts, read 196,497 times
When I went home I heard a lot of people griping about Americans being mad because BP (formerly British Petroleum) was called British, therefore everyone hates the Brits. Never ever saw such a thing in the US. Was not true at all. Like a lot of media, they have to create opposition based on nothing.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM

134 posts, read 289,354 times
I'd ignore that.

BP was called British Petroleum and in the US it bought out AMOCO - the American Oil Company. AFAIR, nobody talked about 'the AMOCO problem'.

The story was indeed, to some extent, presented in the UK as "Americans hate Britain now" and that wasn't helped by Mr Obama persisting in referring to the company as 'British Petroleum'.

The 'Red Top' newspapers in the UK probably made a big fuss about it, but I doubt that many people were particularly bothered.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM

728 posts, read 1,606,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
When I went home I heard a lot of people griping about Americans being mad because BP (formerly British Petroleum) was called British, therefore everyone hates the Brits. Never ever saw such a thing in the US. Was not true at all. Like a lot of media, they have to create opposition based on nothing.

That was really a media created deal. Most everyone know, myself included, like and respect the Brits. Good people.....

Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM

433 posts, read 442,808 times
Quote:

Most Americans like the Brits as well. On my trips to the UK and in my contacts all over the world I've yet to meet anyone from the UK who expressed dislike of Americans on me personally because I'm American. Here in podunk Texas everyone we encounter is enamored of my DWs accent- although many don't have a clue as to where she came by it!

I would question the comment "despite the impact of the Bush presidency"- Bush was very pro UK, unlike Obama who seems prefer our political and economic foes over our best friends and allies.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM

8,024 posts, read 11,375,763 times
it's like any friendship, there is ups and downs, but when all is said and done, we are still close allies who have done a lot for each other, a lot of americans and brits have died in the wars we have fought side by side, thus we will always have a strong bond, because many people have made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our shared values. we have a similar-ish culture etc also, britain couldn't count on france and ireland as much as we can count on the usa, and america can count on the uk even more than canada

Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 AM

19,773 posts, read 28,279,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
it's like any friendship, there is ups and downs, but when all is said and done, we are still close allies who have done a lot for each other, a lot of americans and brits have died in the wars we have fought side by side, thus we will always have a strong bond, because many people have made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our shared values. we have a similar-ish culture etc also, britain couldn't count on france and ireland as much as we can count on the usa, and america can count on the uk even more than canada
well said,
America has cemeteries filled with veterans that gave the ultimate sacrifice
fighting side by side with the brits- against tyranny and to fight opression-without the brits and americans, most of the world would be speaking german
d-day alone an estimated 10,000 allied forces died, mostly americans and british

yes this was years ago, but both our nations, fought not only for ourselves, but to free other nations.

bp oil spill, did NOT reflect on the brits,
most of the people i talk to, admire the brits, and would like to visit someday.

besides, when many of us, research our family trees, our bloodline, and sir-names......they often come from great britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom