Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:19 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times

Advertisements

So many dreadful, violent things going on in the world lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:45 PM

504 posts, read 465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
What has the death of this unfortunate woman got to do with Nigel Farage ?
Are you saying that the subject of immigration controls shouldn't be raised at all ?
No I am not. Nor have I ever. I have been banging on about immigration from Blair's early days.

There is a sensible, rational way to do it. Then there is Farage, with his vile poster showing thousands of Syrian refugees queuing to try and get into Slovenia. And ludicrous scaremongering about 80 million Turks shortly to be arriving here via the EU. And claiming that we'll shortly be having women raped by asylum seekers who've sneaked through the tunnel.

I do love the way they feel the need to illustrate what a queue of foreign people looks like, their potential supporters being incapable of imagining such an image. I guess they have their audience sussed, much like The Sun.

Decent people are as disgusted as I, though insufficient numbers to swing the vote on Thursday.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It may come as a surprise to some that at least three of the books that Mr. Mair purchased are available from Amazon UK. Two are originally US Army publications; the other is a textbook used for years at MIT, one of America's most renowned universities. No one at the linked website cared to tell that part of the story.

They apparently do not carry Ich Kampfe. The statement that Adolf Hitler wrote the book is nonsense. I've appended a link to the Wikipedia article describing it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Special-For...s=incendiaries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/U-S-Army-Im...2VH6B1R4MQEBAP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-P...6576887&sr=1-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_Kampfe

Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Isn't it the manual/book crossed out as not to identify it rather than the other books you mention???

The Anarchists Cookbook is another such book, which is available on line including via Amazon.

BBC NEWS | UK | Boy in court on terror charges

Why the author of The Anarchist Cookbook wants it taken off the shelves - The Guardian

Not that it really matters.

Jo Cox murder suspect Thomas Mair 'bought book on how to make handmade gun', claim American researchers

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-22-2016 at 01:49 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 02:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't it the manual/book crossed out as not to identify it rather than the other books you mention???
I have no idea what book they crossed out or why. Read the reviews of the Army publications on amazon.com. Those are the real thing.

I posted the information to show that there are more than a few people who are interested in this material and that they need not search for obscure sellers.

Buy the books; they're not expensive. Then judge for yourself.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no idea what book they crossed out or why. Read the reviews of the Army publications on amazon.com. Those are the real thing.

I posted the information to show that there are more than a few people who are interested in this material and that they need not search for obscure sellers.

Buy the books; they're not expensive. Then judge for yourself.

Thomas Mair did manage to build a rudimentary gun from a manual, although thankfully he wasn't able to get his hands on more substantial weaponry like Omar Marteen in the US, or he could have targeted a remain in Europe meeting or a group of people rather than just the MP.

It's not illegal to sell these items over the internet however if you are found with them the Police can charge you with possession of information or documents likely to be of use in terrorism, namely the Anarchist's Cookbook, and also possessing articles for use in terrorism.

It's not the first time the far right has targeted people, indeed David Copeland made bombs and killed and maimed many gay people and ethnic minorities in London in the 1990's.

David Copeland: a quiet introvert, obsessed with Hitler and bombs - The Guardian

David Copeland - Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-22-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Today would have been Jo's 42nd birthday..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Today would have been Jo's 42nd birthday..
Yes, I heard about that too. So tragic..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, I heard about that too. So tragic..
It is awful. For the children, the loss of their mother, must be hard to accept as real. Accepting they will never see her again must be hard for them to grasp.

The killing, and why it happened is puzzling. So many family members, and neighbour's of the killer say he was a very quiet man, with no obvious political leanings.

What triggered this vicious murder? Apparently, from first eye witness reports, he didn't just shoot, and knife Jo, he then kicked her as well. That is real hate, and anger.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 AM

Portishead post haunting video of ABBA cover 'SOS' in tribute to Jo Cox | News | Culture | The Independent

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom