Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the UK have closer ties with Australia, Canada and NZ with free movement of people among thes
Yes 36 81.82%
No 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:54 PM
pdw

2,722 posts, read 3,139,488 times

Advertisements

I would add too that I hope when Britain cuts ties with the EU, it at least has an open immigration policy with it. Switzerland isn't part of the EU, but it's part of the Schengen area that allows free travel across borders. This makes the most sense, especially considering the amount of Brits living in continental Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 02:56 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I would add too that I hope when Britain cuts ties with the EU, it at least has an open immigration policy with it. Switzerland isn't part of the EU, but it's part of the Schengen area that allows free travel across borders. This makes the most sense, especially considering the amount of Brits living in continental Europe
Britain has already rejected Schengen, the Euro and Eurozone in the past and we will decide on our own policies now.

This doesn't mean immigration will stop, just that it will be controlled.

Doesn't the EU get it, that precisely because of things such as Shenegen and the lack of proper border controls and the Eurozone crisis that we are leaving the EU.

The Court case with the ECB last year over the rights of Euro Financial Transactions and Clearing outside of the Eurozone, the Financial Transaction Tax (FTT) and new EU Financial Regulations, the Tampon VAT Tax and indeed Juckers arrogance were also recent aggravating factors.

Not so fast, François: EU clearing land grab is complex - Risk.net

UK wins in European Central Bank court challenge - BBC News

UK, EU leaders set to clash over financial regulation | Reuters

Final decision on financial transaction tax expected in June - The Guardian

U.K. Vows To Abolish 'Tampon Tax' After European Union Vote

EU referendum: No new reform deal for UK after vote, Jean Claude Juncker warns | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Leave EU and we’ll make your lives a misery: Juncker’s warning to Britain - Sunday Times

EU Chief Juncker Warns UK Over 'Deserters' - Sky News

Honestly if you want to lay the blame for Brexit anywhere, it should be layed at the feet of people like unelected Jean-Claude Juncker and his threats to Britain as well as his cronies such as Herman Van Rompuy, Martin Schulz, Donald Tusk etc coupled with the rigidity of political leaders such as Francois Hollande.

The British people do not like being threatened by corrupt non-elected despots like Juncker.

Luxembourg PM Juncker to resign over spy scandal - BBC News

EU's Juncker releases secret 'Luxleaks' tax advice - Telegraph

Commission spokesperson dodges awkward questions on tax evasion, while Juncker dodges the press – EurActiv.com

Jean-Claude Juncker can’t shake off Luxembourg’s tax controversy - The Guardian

Jean-Claude Juncker affair exposes deeper EU problems - Telegraph

Juncker Faces Uncertain Future Amid Tax Loophole Investigations - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Well at least most of the British people

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-03-2016 at 04:04 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,584,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If they are happy with that, then yes.
This

Agreed completely as personally I think I can speak for most Brits when I say I'm quite fond of Canadians, Aussies and kiwis, I've always got on with them so I'd jump for joy should this occur

Brits that leave GB usually venture to the said countries plus USA so anything that makes travel/immigration easier and possible gets my vote

OP great thread btw

Old 07-04-2016, 03:06 PM

8,573 posts, read 8,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
On the contrary, since the US is looking bad for its resistance to revised immigration policies, and since much of the opposition to immigration focuses on those immigrants who don't speak English and who have a culture and/or religion that won't assimilate, it seems to me that any consideration of increasing the amount of British immigrants would have a warmer reception. Two birds with one stone.
What people need to understand is that the supposed evil US immigration policies are those which make life difficult for undocumented migrants.

The USA is more open to immigration from legal sources than are most. In addition, it is one of the few places where some one born within its borders is automatically a citizen, even if the parents aren't citizens or legal residents.

I very much doubt that preferential immigration status for immigrants from the UK will be tolerated. That of course assumes that the British will even want to migrate to the USA, given that both countries face similar problems.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
This

Agreed completely as personally I think I can speak for most Brits when I say I'm quite fond of Canadians, Aussies and kiwis, I've always got on with them so I'd jump for joy should this occur

Brits that leave GB usually venture to the said countries plus USA so anything that makes travel/immigration easier and possible gets my vote

OP great thread btw

I can well hear the non white Commonwealth jumping for joy at the notion of a dual Commonwealth being set up.

Not going to happen. Either free movement will be available for all Commonwealth citizens, or for none at all. The realities suggest that the UK will maintain current rules, with EU citizens losing their free access.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I can well hear the non white Commonwealth jumping for joy at the notion of a dual Commonwealth being set up.

Not going to happen. Either free movement will be available for all Commonwealth citizens, or for none at all. The realities suggest that the UK will maintain current rules, with EU citizens losing their free access.
Sorry don't follow mate.

If your a British, Australian, New Zealand or Canadian citizen skin colour doesn't matter does it?

Plus yes the free access from eu citizens is exactly what we are trying to stop well this end anyway

Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You're assuming it would go unnoticed by the left that the US would be letting in more white immigrants and fewer nonwhite ones. It wouldn't. The liberal media and establishment would strongly decry it as "racist."

And you don't think that it will be racist if whites are given advantages to migrate that non whites wouldn't have?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 PM

1,104 posts, read 923,939 times
Quote:
Do you think now that the UK is out of the EU, should it build stronger ties with certain Commonwealth countries?
Absolutely! To have a Commonwealth system with less immigration control between selected countries would be wonderful. There shouldn't be any superstate idea, countries should essentially choose for themselves on the terms THEY thought would suit them. But I wish the press or the squabbling parties here would get to grips with this idea because that would be an opportunity for all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's very hard to get into this country. Hubby has a friend back in England with plenty of money, a good lawyer, and after about eight years of trying, he finally gave up.
You'd think being such close military allies that we would essentially have more advantageous immigration flexibility for professionals and retirees, but as a Brit, if I was at retirement age today, I'd have better chance of setting roots in Brazil, Croatia, or the Philippines than the US. And one of your most popular politicians has pretty much run his ticket on even MORE control over immigration? When I hit my late sixties, I'm buying a snowy mansion in Siberia and living the rest of my days there just to spite you.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Absolutely! To have a Commonwealth system with less immigration control between selected countries would be wonderful. There shouldn't be any superstate idea, countries should essentially choose for themselves on the terms THEY thought would suit them. But I wish the press or the squabbling parties here would get to grips with this idea because that would be an opportunity for all involved.

You'd think being such close military allies that we would essentially have more advantageous immigration flexibility for professionals and retirees, but as a Brit, if I was at retirement age today, I'd have better chance of setting roots in Brazil, Croatia, or the Philippines than the US. And one of your most popular politicians has pretty much run his ticket on even MORE control over immigration? When I hit my late sixties, I'm buying a snowy mansion in Siberia and living the rest of my days there just to spite you.
Completely agree great post my thoughts exactly

Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Sorry don't follow mate.

If your a British, Australian, New Zealand or Canadian citizen skin colour doesn't matter does it?

Plus yes the free access from eu citizens is exactly what we are trying to stop well this end anyway

I don't think that one need to too bright to figure out why Canada, NZ, and Australia will be included, and India, and Nigeria not.

In fact India and Nigeria are way more importantly economically to the UK these days than is NZ.

So why again will NZ be included and India not?

Any way I suspect that Canada and Australia have better things to do than bother with a UK no longer anchored to the larger EU zone. The USA and Asia now are more relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom