Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 PM

233 posts, read 344,659 times

Advertisements

The historic Brexit vote has just occurred. Scotland will likely have another independence referendum, perhaps followed by Northern Ireland because of support for remaining in the EU. London also voted to remain in the EU by a large margin. Some internet personalities have brought up the possibility of seceding from the UK to maintain the city's financial and market ties to the continent.

How plausible is London seceding from the UK to become a city-state? What would be required for this to happen? Also, would it have positive or negative effects for city residents?

Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
That will never happen.

I assume the process of becoming independent would be similar to the one Scotland went through.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Highly implausible as London unlike Scotland is not even a historic socio-cultural entity distinct from the rest of England in any way, shape or forum.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:21 AM

202 posts, read 224,644 times
It's just histeric reaction nothing will happen no country will secede from the UK.
Brits decided in democratic referendum so let's give it a chance, maybe it will be better for them and maybe not.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Impossible even though i'm sure the elites of the City are pushing for it but so are the common city given that London is probably the city who would be under the most economical pressure if it were to leave

Anyway, there are problems but there are in the UK as well. I'm not saying that the EU is functional but battling corruption is mostly to the countries that make it up. The EU itself has tried to bring the issue to the forefront putting pressure on the countries who have the most noticeable problems but it can't do much more than that.

In fact, i think the Remain campaign hasn't succeeded to highlight the many positives that come with being in the EU because it was driven by personal gains. For example, i have listed the positives on the threads several teams and the one who supported LEAVE has just chosen to ignore them and not to comment them. Why focus only on the negatives?

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-26-2016 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You can like what you want, it's a period of transition but at least at the end of it we will be free from what is an undemocratic and corrupt organisation run by Euro Monkeys like you.

Corruption across EU 'breathtaking' - EU Commission - BBC News

Corrupt European countries costing EU nearly £800bn a year, says study | Europe | News | The Independent

Corruption costs EU ‘up to ‘up to €990 billion a year’
You should direct that to improb below, he's the ruling politician pro-EU fanatic here...

I am just happy the UK is gone but I am also NOT pro-EU. I just see the whole process as a weakened Western influence on international matters, which is what makes me pleasantly surprised by the vote.

Ideally I'd like the EU to vanish but for now I'm only taking the best option available in reality, which means one Western country less in position to dictate politics.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You should direct that to improb below, he's the ruling politician pro-EU fanatic here...

I am just happy the UK is gone but I am also NOT pro-EU. I just see the whole process as a weakened Western influence on international matters, which is what makes me pleasantly surprised by the vote.

Ideally I'd like the EU to vanish but for now I'm only taking the best option available in reality, which means one Western country less in position to dictate politics.
Why are you even bothered about the UK, why don't just just get on with building your Federal Europe run by undemocratic leaders and Eurocrats.

As for the UK Economy it is still reseiliant, and we will make new Trade Agreements indeed the vast majority of British Exports are not to the EU, which is a very stagnant Trading Block.

There will be some short-term pain but Brexit will make us richer

The truth being a lot more countries may follow suit and gave a referendum on the EU, and good luck to them.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:35 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Why are you even bothered about the UK, why don't just just get on with building your Federal Europe run by undemocratic leaders and Eurocrats.

As for the UK Economy it is still reseiliant, and we will make new Trade Agreements indeed the vast majority of British Exports are not to the EU, which is a very stagnant Trading Block.

The truth being a lot more countries may follow suit and gave a referendum on the EU, and good luck to them.
Apparently you've missed or simply don't get my point that I am not pro-EU, meaning: I don't care about the EU either. If all countries leave the EU, I'd welcome it even more.

Prior to the UK leaving it was a different era in Europe though. The countries economically stronger and military stronger thought they can always get away and set the rules to which smaller countries should obey blindly. However the refugee crisis and the British crisis from yesterday are a landmark of a decline of power from the "West" which most people are yet to understand.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:36 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:

The point that i don't want the current EU, i want it to be changed. I actually even want there to be a referendum so that my country can put pressure on the EU to change or so that people can give indications to the Parliament. The problem is that you have focused on the negatives just as the LEAVE campaign has done when there are several positives from the EU aside from the common market but anytime i have listed them i have chosen to ignore them.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:46 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:

The new trade agreements are not going to be easy on the UK, I think lots of people have already said that. You will be negotiating a deal with an economy many times larger than your own one, the power balance is completely off.

And I don't understand how you can keep lying to yourself that the vast majority of British exports are not to the EU. Yes, it's probably not more than 50%, but it's close to that, which makes the EU, collectively, by far the largest trading partner of the UK, the second (maybe America) doesn't even come close to that.

And no country is gonna follow the UK, they will all stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom