Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:58 PM

1,129 posts, read 468,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The day finally arrived. I thought a few times it may not, especially under the poor leadership of Theresa May. But we made it in the end.

Unlike a couple of posters in this thread, I think most understand we voted to leave for the future of the young of this island of ours. We have been sold out for many decades, going back to the 60s really.

Europeans want closer union to ensure no more awful wars between them. Twice we of this country shed our blood in the 20th century in European wars. But, we have a different thinking mentality to them. We never voted to join an organisation that would ensure continual mass immigration from Europe, taking valuable housing, use of our NHS, schools for their children, and even criminal gangs. Foreign beggars on our streets, holding babies wasn't something we voted for either.

I never thought I would hear English people say they feel unsafe walking through their own town centres feeling they're being sized up by groups of young eastern european immigrants. This mass immigration could not continue, and had to end. Our so called betters just couldn't see it, and were astonished to lose the 2016 vote.

Once we regain control of our borders, and can bring in our own laws, we can remove european criminals, and send them back home. We can ensure English people get priority over much needed social housing. Foreigners who don't work - out. We have had enough of being ordered about by the EU.

Some parts of this country never recovered from Thatcher's reign. They felt ignored, and forgotten. I don't expect any miraculous change any time soon. But surely, those forgotten must feel a glimmer of hope now?

I won't be here to see how things pan out. But, with all my heart I hope the young of England have more of a chance now to get a job, and a home of their own. It never seemed much to ask when I was young. I just wish the same for them.
Really good to hear from you Dave, even if it’s just to copy and paste the same old rubbish.......

Joking aside, I hope they are keeping the trifle coming and looking after you well in your new place and hope you stick around long enough to enjoy your Brexit.......

Last edited by britinspain; 02-01-2020 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 02:42 PM

13,571 posts, read 9,982,990 times
Quote:
The day finally arrived. I thought a few times it may not, especially under the poor leadership of Theresa May. But we made it in the end.

Unlike a couple of posters in this thread, I think most understand we voted to leave for the future of the young of this island of ours. We have been sold out for many decades, going back to the 60s really.

Europeans want closer union to ensure no more awful wars between them. Twice we of this country shed our blood in the 20th century in European wars. But, we have a different thinking mentality to them. We never voted to join an organisation that would ensure continual mass immigration from Europe, taking valuable housing, use of our NHS, schools for their children, and even criminal gangs. Foreign beggars on our streets, holding babies wasn't something we voted for either.

I never thought I would hear English people say they feel unsafe walking through their own town centres feeling they're being sized up by groups of young eastern european immigrants. This mass immigration could not continue, and had to end. Our so called betters just couldn't see it, and were astonished to lose the 2016 vote.

Once we regain control of our borders, and can bring in our own laws, we can remove european criminals, and send them back home. We can ensure English people get priority over much needed social housing. Foreigners who don't work - out. We have had enough of being ordered about by the EU.

Some parts of this country never recovered from Thatcher's reign. They felt ignored, and forgotten. I don't expect any miraculous change any time soon. But surely, those forgotten must feel a glimmer of hope now?

I won't be here to see how things pan out. But, with all my heart I hope the young of England have more of a chance now to get a job, and a home of their own. It never seemed much to ask when I was young. I just wish the same for them.
Dave, it's great to hear from you.

I've been thinking about the Brexit thingy, wondering how you've been getting on, and if you've been able to keep an eye on things.

Best wishes, my friend, and, hang in there.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:

More than the news about the brexit I'm so happy to hear that you are here and posting. That is more important to me . good luck English Dave with your health

Old 02-01-2020, 07:12 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,794,161 times
Heartiest congratulations and best wishes for a bright future as an independent, proud Great Britain!
(Hope the Scots come to their senses and then I'll happily say United Kingdom).

And may the English speaking peoples become ever closer and ever stronger.
Mazel Tov!

Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 AM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Heartiest congratulations and best wishes for a bright future as an independent, proud Great Britain!
(Hope the Scots come to their senses and then I'll happily say United Kingdom).

And may the English speaking peoples become ever closer and ever stronger.
Mazel Tov!

I think the CHinese are going to buy the UK

Old 02-05-2020, 07:30 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Quote:

We always had the ability and power to do this, as all EU countries do. For some reason, successive governments just refused to use this law.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:51 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
We always had the ability and power to do this, as all EU countries do. For some reason, successive governments just refused to use this law.
Probably because it's never been made clear to the people just who exactly is responsible.

Now its 100% crystal clear who is responsible. Thus they can be held to account.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That could explain what I saw. It was bizarre. The interviewer finally told Juncker that the fishing rights played a big part in the UK wanting to leave. Juncker was dumbstruck. I thought maybe it was because Luxembourg is landlocked, but your take on it could be the reason.
A few years ago I notice online comments abut the EU beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire.

If the EU isn't an empire yet, it does seem to be headed that way.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Not so. The EU court of human rights have repeatedly overruled the High court in England.

Well, they're out now, it was a great idea initially as a customs union but then the EU decided it wanted a political union and voted themselves in control, the EU does not like sovereign nations. Too bad.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:25 AM

27,044 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Not so. The EU court of human rights have repeatedly overruled the High court in England.

Well, they're out now, it was a great idea initially as a customs union but then the EU decided it wanted a political union and voted themselves in control, the EU does not like sovereign nations. Too bad.
The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU, it's a seperate entity altogether and 47 countries are members of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and not 27 as in the EU.

There has however been some talk of Britain leaving the ECHR in the future.

The EU Court is the seperate European Court of Justice (ECJ) which decides on disputes between EU members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom