Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:18 AM

27,213 posts, read 13,502,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've been reading a lot of news articles and reactions on the Brexit and I'm surprised the Queen hasn't made a statement or speech about it. The UK is in turmoil now and the Queen has always been seen as a symbol of stability and security. Her comments could go a long way to reassure Britons who are probably feeling anxious. Maybe I've missed something but I haven't read any comments from her. What are your thoughts?
The Queen has very little power in relation to political issues, she is more a figure head than anything else.

The Following were important events in terms of curtailing the power of Monarchy whilst establishing an independent Parliament, Law and Legal System in terms of England and later Britain.

Magna Carta 1215

The monarchy basically started losing material power with King John of England signing the Magna Carta [1215], which led to the rule of constitutional law in England. Translation: the beginning of the end of absolutism in royal rule in England. This was just 149 years after the Norman Conquest under William I.

English Civil War 1642-51 and Commonwealth of England/The Protectorate 1651-60

The monarchy continued to lose power by turns in the years since Magna Carta, culminating in the English Civil War. The Commonwealth of England (later, the Protectorate for the whole of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland) replaced the monarchy under Charles I of England, Scotland and Ireland. (We can safely generalise Charles I was a British monarch, even though history books conventionally identify him as "of England.")

The Restoration 1660

With the end of the Commonwealth/Protectorate in 1658-60, the monarchy was restored under King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland. However, Parliament limited Charles II's royal prerogative powers on constitutional grounds that he had no right to arbitrarily suspend laws enacted by Parliament. Translation: further loss of royal power.

The Glorious Revolution 1688

King James II of England and Ireland (and as James VII of Scotland) was overthrown by Parliamentary forces in a joint operation with Dutch forces under William of Orange, who then became "King Billy": William III of England, Scotland and Ireland (in addition to being Stadtholder of various areas in the Dutch Republic). But during William III's reign (jointly with Mary II), there was resistance to his/their validity to the throne (which is too involved to explain here).

United Kingdom 1707-1800 / 1801-1927 / 1921-today

The most prominent political feature of the UK that diluted the power of the monarchy was the Reform Act 1832 refashioned the British electoral system and extended the franchise. Translation: more power to the people and parliament.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 AM

18,534 posts, read 18,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhouse View Post
That is not the role of the Queen. The Queen has to be reent whatever the demos decides. She has to speak for us or she can get lost!
What does that mean..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom