Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have noticed proposals for Britain to sign agreements with Asian "Tigers", such as Japan and South Korea. You can be sure that the Asians will be looking for a one sided relationship, so they can strip mine what is left of the UK economy.
Well, sure, and the reverse is true too, that you can be sure that the UK will be looking for a one sided relationship, so they can strip mine their economies.

People don't enter trade negotiations for benevolent reasons, they're entirely economic reasons. If anyone is going to any negotiations with the impression that it's going to be a nice chat about how the other side and they can help one another out, they shouldn't be at those negotiations. It's a deal, not a marriage, and the UK needs to go there to try to get their unfair share, because that's what the other side is trying to do too.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times
It seems like beating a dead horse, or milking a dead cow. Let me repeat, nothing is going to change until after the UK has officially left the EU. That could be in two years if the divorce proceedings go well. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 06:03 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
It seems like beating a dead horse, or milking a dead cow. Let me repeat, nothing is going to change until after the UK has officially left the EU. That could be in two years if the divorce proceedings go well. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I am quite optimistic that Britain will get a free trade deal.

The French were making their mouths go, but seem to have been a lot more quiet recently, especially after yesterdays announcement that Hinkley Point C a nuclear power plant was to be delayed. Hinkley which will cost £18 Billion to build, is one of ten planned new nuclear power stations to be supposedly to be finaced and built by French Company EDF.

French companies such as Thales, also rely on a lot of UK Defence and Civil Projects and I have no doubt the awarding of contracts to French companies may well be delayed until negotiations start.

The Germans on the other hand know where there bread is buttered, the UK being their most lucrative export market in the entire world.

So any one who thinks we are going to go in to negotiations without a few Aces up our sleaves is sadly mistaken.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I am quite optimistic that Britain will get a free trade deal.

The French were making their mouths go, but seem to have been a lot more quiet recently, especially after yesterdays announcement that Hinkley Point C a nuclear power plant was to be delayed. Hinkley which will cost £18 Billion to build, is one of ten planned new nuclear power stations to be supposedly to be finaced and built by French Company EDF.

French companies such as Thales, also rely on a lot of UK Defence and Civil Projects and I have no doubt the awarding of contracts to French companies may well be delayed until negotiations start.

The Germans on the other hand know where there bread is buttered, the UK being their most lucrative export market in the entire world.

So any one who thinks we are going to go in to negotiations without a few Aces up our sleaves is sadly mistaken.
Basically I agree with you.

The French always were more talk than action, and the Germans like lots of good butter on their morning "Brötchen".

You may or may not have something up your sleeve. Not sure it's all Aces.

However, once the divorce proceedings start it will very quickly become obvious that they will be amicable and low key. The real movers and shakers in the EU and UK have no interest to start WW3.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,064,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Nope........ we can't cope with the immigrants we've got here already. Not enough houses, struggling schools, similar NHS.

May knows the score. We've had enough. There has to be real change. We're waiting patiently.
So May is now saying that the 800,000 Poles already in the UK can stay - is that OK?
Or are you expecting them to be sent back?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:27 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
So May is now saying that the 800,000 Poles already in the UK can stay - is that OK?
Phil.....Phil..... you have tried this before with me. Give up..... I know your game.

I have nothing against Polish people. I know our long history involving that country. I am talking about the problems too much immigration, too quickly is causing my country.

We cannot cope with it, and without leaving the EU, we can't bring it under control. The EU refuse to seriously discuss this issue. My concern is for the young people of this country. They are struggling to find decent paid work, and can't afford rents, or the price of homes.

Are you saying we CAN cope with massive immigration, continuing long into the future? If so, tell me how, and not hyperthetical schemes....... reality.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,584,436 times
Quote:
We already knew that " at least one in three " would get guaranteed British passports so no dramas there

Now as its been mentioned before on here my SOLE reason for voting was for immigration purposes or lack of them to be more precise....

Does that make me a racist? Chauvinist? Or anything else for that matter?

Of course NOT! ...... End of the day living here all my life I should have normal day to days things that are a given..... My own flat, lack of waiting time on an ankle operation in need and other things...

Because of the number I'm in dead stook and the annoying thing is I work EXTREAMLY hard for my money and pay a fortune in tax ....... What do I get in return

Now my hope it's to go to the US for a year or so to more experience outside of London which I've never done before but I'll only get a visa and WILL come home ....why the outrage when we suggest this arrangement for those who have been here a while already?

Phil I quoted your post as its a point that needs addressing it's not at all against you in any way so I apologise if it seems that way

Old 07-29-2016, 03:04 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,113,708 times
London touchdown

Old 07-29-2016, 03:04 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,064,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
We already knew that " at least one in three " would get guaranteed British passports so no dramas there

Now as its been mentioned before on here my SOLE reason for voting was for immigration purposes or lack of them to be more precise....

Does that make me a racist? Chauvinist? Or anything else for that matter?

Of course NOT! ...... End of the day living here all my life I should have normal day to days things that are a given..... My own flat, lack of waiting time on an ankle operation in need and other things...

Because of the number I'm in dead stook and the annoying thing is I work EXTREAMLY hard for my money and pay a fortune in tax ....... What do I get in return

Now my hope it's to go to the US for a year or so to more experience outside of London which I've never done before but I'll only get a visa and WILL come home ....why the outrage when we suggest this arrangement for those who have been here a while already?

Phil I quoted your post as its a point that needs addressing it's not at all against you in any way so I apologise if it seems that way
No apology necessary

It was a genuine questions - the Leavers wanted immigrants out and if May is saying it wont happen then what? If they all stay?

As to whether you'll get what you want and who was responsible for it, no need to rehash all of that

Old 07-29-2016, 03:20 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,584,436 times
Quote:
No apology necessary

It was a genuine questions - the Leavers wanted immigrants out and if May is saying it wont happen then what? If they all stay?

As to whether you'll get what you want and who was responsible for it, no need to rehash all of that
Personally I think ( only an educated guess mate ) ... That ones that's been here a certain amount of time or have had kids here etc will stay.

I think they will though introduce a points system and then issue visas were some will have to go back at some point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom