Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Canada 5 15.63%
United States 11 34.38%
Australia 11 34.38%
France 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM

431 posts, read 522,497 times

Advertisements

Pretty self explanatory. When it comes to culture, history, ect. which country (and I suppose it's people) do you, as Brits, feel like you have the strongest connection to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,604 times
Difficult one, as I think nearly all the options tick the right boxes. But having visited Canada, I would have to say that that country is very similar to the UK in various aspects.

It may not have the in-depth history compared to the UK, but culturally, temperately, socially etc, I do believe both countries have a great deal in common with each other. More so given Canada is part of the Commonwealth.

That's my choice anyway, and I'm not truly British but South African (another former British colony)

Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 AM

132 posts, read 139,265 times
to me the United States... have spent time there and have lots of American friends. Love the place and people.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
The USA feels nothing like the UK. When one is in Australia or New Zealand it feels like it could be part of the UK in many respects.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:56 AM

132 posts, read 139,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The USA feels nothing like the UK. When one is in Australia or New Zealand it feels like it could be part of the UK in many respects.
to you maybe... me and plenty of others disagree.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
to you maybe... me and plenty of others disagree.
Having lived stateside for 16 years I have to agree with Jaggy.

Moving to the US showed how much a difference in "vibe" there was. Being back in the UK for the first time in 16 years I can confirm the difference in "vibe" coming the other way too.

Most ex-pats in the US I know also feel the same. Superficially the US and UK seem similar, but long term typical lifestyle is totally different.

YMMV but the people living in the US from the UK all tend to agree.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 AM

431 posts, read 522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well I wasn't really asking which country feels the most like the UK, I just meant which country do you have the strongest connection to. For example Canada is the most similar country to the USA but I feel a stronger connection to the UK over Canada. I think it's because we (US & UK) share a close history, we have been very strong allies, and we are both the major english speaking powerhouses when it comes to the western world. For example, if the USA isn't racing in the olympics but Canada and the UK are, I definitely will cheer for the UK over Canada, and I know that many of my friends and family are the same way. Interesting responses so far...figured Australia would be high up there, makes sense.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Having lived stateside for 16 years I have to agree with Jaggy.

Moving to the US showed how much a difference in "vibe" there was. Being back in the UK for the first time in 16 years I can confirm the difference in "vibe" coming the other way too.

Most ex-pats in the US I know also feel the same. Superficially the US and UK seem similar, but long term typical lifestyle is totally different.

YMMV but the people living in the US from the UK all tend to agree.

I don’t think the reality of expat Brits in Australia is really much different, though.

There’s been a lot of analysis and research into why the return home rate for Brits is so high. 50% who have taken the effort and spent a fairly hefty sum of money to gain permanent residence status leave within a pretty short timeframe, with more following later. That is high.

It didn’t take much searching to find this. 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia's traffic and TV - BBC News Some of the detail seems a little odd (some of the demographic stats seem a little ‘off’ what’s usually quoted, and while Tony Abbot was born in the UK when his parents were living there for a few years, his mother is from a Dutch-Australian family), but its just so consistent with other studies and what I've heard.

Some of the issues discussed here are pretty explainable: people who’ve had to take a few steps backwards in terms of their career not fully anticipating the follow-on for the life-style they can afford. Distance, yes, but that’s an issue for all migrants - even Kiwis will spend 8 hours in the air if they’re travelling home from parts of WA, while someone from the East coast of the US or Canada will spend almost 24 hours getting home.

Difficulty making friends? I’ve heard that a lot, but it’s probably the flip side of unexpected cultural and lifestyle differences.

Perhaps those going to the US have the benefit of exposure to a lot of American culture and personalities before they leave, so at least have their eyes wide open. But for Australia? The fantasy made-for-export world of 'Neighbours', or expats like Kylie Minogue who've lived in the UK full time so long that they seem very British to any Aussie who's old enough to remember them?

It just seems that there are lot of broken dreams.....

Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I don’t think the reality of expat Brits in Australia is really much different, though.

There’s been a lot of analysis and research into why the return home rate for Brits is so high. 50% who have taken the effort and spent a fairly hefty sum of money to gain permanent residence status leave within a pretty short timeframe, with more following later. That is high.

It didn’t take much searching to find this. 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia's traffic and TV - BBC News Some of the detail seems a little odd (some of the demographic stats seem a little ‘off’ what’s usually quoted, and while Tony Abbot was born in the UK when his parents were living there for a few years, his mother is from a Dutch-Australian family), but its just so consistent with other studies and what I've heard.

Some of the issues discussed here are pretty explainable: people who’ve had to take a few steps backwards in terms of their career not fully anticipating the follow-on for the life-style they can afford. Distance, yes, but that’s an issue for all migrants - even Kiwis will spend 8 hours in the air if they’re travelling home from parts of WA, while someone from the East coast of the US or Canada will spend almost 24 hours getting home.

Difficulty making friends? I’ve heard that a lot, but it’s probably the flip side of unexpected cultural and lifestyle differences.

Perhaps those going to the US have the benefit of exposure to a lot of American culture and personalities before they leave, so at least have their eyes wide open. But for Australia? The fantasy made-for-export world of 'Neighbours', or expats like Kylie Minogue who've lived in the UK full time so long that they seem very British to any Aussie who's old enough to remember them?

It just seems that there are lot of broken dreams.....
I don't disagree with anything you've said, and think it underlines the naiveté of many discussions of this type. Superficially the similarities between anglocentric country A and anglocentric country B are so many that person A with little real experience of anglocentric country B thinks living there will be the same enough to not cause issues. However shortly after their arrival the unexpected differences are front and center some handle them, some tolerate them (some leave later) and some leave.at the first opportunity.

I've never met anyone who is from the US, UK, Canada, Oz, New Zealand, South Africa who emigrated for career reasons to either the US or UK and not had to make significant adjustments to live in that different culture. Every one of them thought it would be more or less the same with some minor adjustments.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

It didn’t take much searching to find this. 'Boomerang Poms' flee Australia's traffic and TV - BBC News .....
"watching terrible Australian TV"

Talk about First World Problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom