Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,945,266 times

Advertisements

Although on the climate front, the Northwestern corner of the US has a climate that's very similar to the UK. Cities like Seattle could be a good fit. If you're going to the UK I wouldn't necessarily recommend London, it's a great place to live if you have a lot of money, but if you're on an average wage you may struggle to get by. I'd suggest looking at another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,318,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I'm a Canadian but the bolded part of your post interests me. it sounds to me you as if you want to go to a country where the people would be very receptive to hearing you talk frequently about atheism and evolution. I don't understand that obsession.

I've been an atheist all my adult life. It's never occurred to me to bring up the subject in a social setting and I would consider it very rude to try to force someone to listen to me talk about it, particularly if they were religious.

I learned about evolution in school. Why would I talk about it to anyone? They learned about it in school too. They might believe it or they might not. That's their choice. Why should I care?
This. A couple of times I've been ambushed by some random Bible-quoting people while living / working in Georgia and Tennessee , but even there it was not a norm (and I would usually just tell them that I was Jewish, not 100% true but it worked to make them leave me alone). Generally, your religious views are your personal matter and while it's OK to mention them, you're going to commit a major faux pas if you make it a topic of conversation. It's like discussing one's bowel movements - there's always a time and a place for this and it's usually not now and not here.

I don't think OP would have a problem being atheist, as long as he's not coming across as a militant atheist that annoys people by forcing his religious views on them.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,005,568 times
So what if there are people that do not believe in evolution. They are not hurting you. Also so what if you see people that have faith and believe in God. Even if they share about him and Jesus Christ, they are not causing harm to you. Anyway you will encounter people of faith no matter where you ever move to, yet in some locations it be more obvious than others.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 AM

969 posts, read 828,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Although the US is technically the more secular society, it was founded on secular principles and those rights are supposedly guaranteed by the Constitution, whereas the UK is officially an Anglican country. In practice the UK is actually a more secular society. Religion isn't a big part of life for the majority of the population.
In the first case, you're referring political secularism (separation of Church and State). In the second, to ontological secularism (areligiosity, atheism, physicalism, naturalism etc.). These are two different concepts, and they're not interrelated by entailment.

ie. Making a country politically secular doesn't make the citizens more ontologically secular, and vice-versa.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:08 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,783,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post
Thank you very much for the your comment. Good to hear that. Illinois state seems very quality, especially I like Chicago. I hope Chicago has good job oppurtunites, cheap cost of living for the min. wage workers because I have to live that way for a while.. Then I can work as a computer technician and I can earn $13-14 per hour.

I lived in Illinois my entire life. Chicago is NOT cheap to live. Illinois is currently the highest taxed state in the U.S. Rent on a one bedroom apartment will be anywhere from $900-$2000 a month or more. You also stated earlier you do not like hot humid weather, well Chicago in the summer is typically 80-95 degrees Fahrenheit and VERY humid!!

Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,507,521 times
Quote:
Hello everybody. I live in Republic of Turkey and English is not my native language. So I am sorry for my English. I am trying to improve it..

First of all, I would like to introduce myself; Actually I am really interested in computer hardware, history and science. I am searching about Evolution in these days and I really liked that. Darwin was a British which was best known for his contributions to the science of Evolution. Actually there are so much British scientists in the world.. And I've always respect for British people. They deserve that.

I respect all nationalities and religions. But I want to feel safe and free to explain my own ideas.. Because I am an atheist. I know British and American people will respect my ideas but when I married with religious lady or grew child, will it be a problem ? And in which country can I teach better evolution to my child ? Which country's educational system teaching Evolution better?

I am 19 years old and Turkey is not for me to the live. I know you don't want any more immigrants in your country.. Yes you are right. But I won't come that country with my own culture. I will live there just like a British or American so I am not a threat for your history and culture. I will work hard and deserve that country, I am sure I will.

And Uk or Usa which one is the cheapest country for the live ? Can you tell me about living conditions ? I don't want to live London or NYC I want to live Leeds, Sheffield (UK) -- Chicago, Oregon (US) so I can pay cheaper rent than other cities. Permanent resident is the most difficult thing for me. Is the only way get that permanent resident to marry with someone ? Any other way ?

Thanks.. I hope you will help me.

Regards,
Do not marry an American or British citizen just to leave Turkey and get the benefits of living in the U.S. or the U.K. It is entirely unfair to these women to do that.

There is, as far as I know, still a Green Card Lottery as a method to obtain permanent residency in the U.S.
Try that. I know a guy from East Germany who won a Green Card that way.

In the meantime, pursue legal methods to move to another country other than Turkey. Look around for other countries than the U.S. and the U.K., too. How about a country which is closer to Turkey? You can probably apply to more than one country at a time.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 AM

92 posts, read 87,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do not marry an American or British citizen just to leave Turkey and get the benefits of living in the U.S. or the U.K. It is entirely unfair to these women to do that.

There is, as far as I know, still a Green Card Lottery as a method to obtain permanent residency in the U.S.
Try that. I know a guy from East Germany who won a Green Card that way.

In the meantime, pursue legal methods to move to another country other than Turkey. Look around for other countries than the U.S. and the U.K., too. How about a country which is closer to Turkey? You can probably apply to more than one country at a time.
No, I've NEVER thought: ''I'll marry with someone to get permanent residency'' It is a shameful and disgraceful thing for me! I CANNOT agree that!

Unlike, I'm looking for loyal, family-oriented girl. So that I can fell in love with her and I can live with her forever because my personality is based on loyalty. And I'm not a guy for the one night relationship.

I've just asked that question on ''Genaral U.S'' you can look here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...sh-caring.html

Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 AM

50,500 posts, read 64,412,886 times
Quote:
Hello everybody. I live in Republic of Turkey and English is not my native language. So I am sorry for my English. I am trying to improve it..

First of all, I would like to introduce myself; Actually I am really interested in computer hardware, history and science. I am searching about Evolution in these days and I really liked that. Darwin was a British which was best known for his contributions to the science of Evolution. Actually there are so much British scientists in the world.. And I've always respect for British people. They deserve that.

I respect all nationalities and religions. But I want to feel safe and free to explain my own ideas.. Because I am an atheist. I know British and American people will respect my ideas but when I married with religious lady or grew child, will it be a problem ? And in which country can I teach better evolution to my child ? Which country's educational system teaching Evolution better?

I am 19 years old and Turkey is not for me to the live. I know you don't want any more immigrants in your country.. Yes you are right. But I won't come that country with my own culture. I will live there just like a British or American so I am not a threat for your history and culture. I will work hard and deserve that country, I am sure I will.

And Uk or Usa which one is the cheapest country for the live ? Can you tell me about living conditions ? I don't want to live London or NYC I want to live Leeds, Sheffield (UK) -- Chicago, Oregon (US) so I can pay cheaper rent than other cities. Permanent resident is the most difficult thing for me. Is the only way get that permanent resident to marry with someone ? Any other way ?

Thanks.. I hope you will help me.

Regards,
Firstly, the US has always welcomed LEGAL immigrants. I have never lived in the U.K., so I can't speak for them. It is my impression that it is cheaper to live in the US than England. I do not know what the process for immigration involves, but I think if you have a profession, and are employable, that is important.

There are plenty of atheists in America, and most people will respect your (lack of) beliefs, unless you insist on talking about it all the time. People do not really discuss religion or politics, except among close friends. Many Americans are religious. You would not be likely to meet a religious woman who would consider marrying an atheist, but there are plenty of women who are either non believers, or don't care, one way or another.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:27 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,034,509 times
Hi Whocares386,

I have never been in the UK section on here before - thought I'd have a look. You won't want to hear where I spend most of my time, if and when I come here, ...Christianity. LOL

The thing that comes to mind is that aspiration and desire can be a kind of torment - constantly dwelling on what you want, but don't yet have. It is true for everyone. There will always be something that you don't have, even if you have lots of stuff. ...the reality is that circumstances come and go, as do opportunities, and it appears to be total random chance as to what it is or, who it is, and we respond to it as we see fit. Now, many of those things happen to us without our direct and intentional effort, ...and this is where an element of faith or belief comes in - I'm not going to push a god or belief system onto you - the only thing I would suggest is that everything that comes to you is for you - it is neither good nor bad, but for your betterment, mainly with respect to how you respond to it.

So, the key question is 'is there a principle that will help me here?' And the answer is to 'find your peace, in your own identity - your 'I AM' state', in the situation. And it then follows, that one should 'take no thought' particularly for aspiration, desire, etc., but just do the next thing that comes along which is the 'right' thing to do'. And the right thing to do is love others as you would love yourself.

...I can't make a visa appear for you - indeed, no-one here can - am just trying to help management of aspiration and desire. I hope that's ok, and an acceptable comment on this thread.

So, meditate on who you are, and watch and wait for what comes to you. It is for you.
Best regards,

Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM

92 posts, read 87,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Hi Whocares386,

I have never been in the UK section on here before - thought I'd have a look. You won't want to hear where I spend most of my time, if and when I come here, ...Christianity. LOL

The thing that comes to mind is that aspiration and desire can be a kind of torment - constantly dwelling on what you want, but don't yet have. It is true for everyone. There will always be something that you don't have, even if you have lots of stuff. ...the reality is that circumstances come and go, as do opportunities, and it appears to be total random chance as to what it is or, who it is, and we respond to it as we see fit. Now, many of those things happen to us without our direct and intentional effort, ...and this is where an element of faith or belief comes in - I'm not going to push a god or belief system onto you - the only thing I would suggest is that everything that comes to you is for you - it is neither good nor bad, but for your betterment, mainly with respect to how you respond to it.

So, the key question is 'is there a principle that will help me here?' And the answer is to 'find your peace, in your own identity - your 'I AM' state', in the situation. And it then follows, that one should 'take no thought' particularly for aspiration, desire, etc., but just do the next thing that comes along which is the 'right' thing to do'. And the right thing to do is love others as you would love yourself.

...I can't make a visa appear for you - indeed, no-one here can - am just trying to help management of aspiration and desire. I hope that's ok, and an acceptable comment on this thread.

So, meditate on who you are, and watch and wait for what comes to you. It is for you.
Best regards,
Thank you for your precious comment for me, it'll help me a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom