Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:29 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times

Advertisements

I dont know why he came out with this statement but here it goes. Eric Bristow: Ex-darts champion loses Sky role for football sex abuse comments - BBC Sport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont know why he came out with this statement but here it goes. Eric Bristow: Ex-darts champion loses Sky role for football sex abuse comments - BBC Sport
Eric Bristow has just damaged his own career and reputation, perhaps people should think before they tweet.

As for his comments, they were disgusting.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Eric Bristow has just damaged his own career and reputation, perhaps people should think before they tweet.

As for his comments, they were disgusting.
This is a very difficult subject, but it must be faced by the authorities in football. How did this man get away with this abuse for so many years? Are there other's guilty, and is this the tip of the iceberg.

What Bristow said is the elephant in the room, even though he was brutal in his wording.

How could so many boys be abused, and not one spoke out? I can understand this happening with a few, but hundreds?

The guilt of the abused must be hard to deal with, and their parents gaining knowledge of what happened to their sons as children must be devastating.

I believe, from what I have heard on television, this man threatened the children with harm to their families, and as small children they believed him.

But, why as adults, didn't at least some of them seek out this man? I can't understand it, because I don't care how young I was, it would have eaten at me to get revenge on this pig.

My guess is some children thought they had to go through this ordeal to get the chance to become professional footballers. Some would have been filled with ambition, and this man would have taken advantage of this.

Surely, the now adult men must be racked with guilt they didn't speak out, and save some from abuse? I am not trying to lay blame on these now adult people. I just struggle to understand how this happened, and for so long. I say this understanding the shame they felt, and reluctance to go public.

I am not being insensitive, but I just fail to understand it.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is a very difficult subject, but it must be faced by the authorities in football. How did this man get away with this abuse for so many years? Are there other's guilty, and is this the tip of the iceberg.

What Bristow said is the elephant in the room, even though he was brutal in his wording.

How could so many boys be abused, and not one spoke out? I can understand this happening with a few, but hundreds?

The guilt of the abused must be hard to deal with, and their parents gaining knowledge of what happened to their sons as children must be devastating.

I believe, from what I have heard on television, this man threatened the children with harm to their families, and as small children they believed him.

But, why as adults, didn't at least some of them seek out this man? I can't understand it, because I don't care how young I was, it would have eaten at me to get revenge on this pig.

My guess is some children thought they had to go through this ordeal to get the chance to become professional footballers. Some would have been filled with ambition, and this man would have taken advantage of this.

Surely, the now adult men must be racked with guilt they didn't speak out, and save some from abuse? I am not trying to lay blame on these now adult people. I just struggle to understand how this happened, and for so long. I say this understanding the shame they felt, and reluctance to go public.

There was a big scandal in Scotland with 20 years of abuse at Celtic and which was covered up by Celtic management. In the end one of the perpetrators went to jail for two years but, one wonders, how many other kids were abused in the interim because of the cover up. Unfortunately, such is the influence of Celtic in Scotland that this particular scandal never gets the air time it should.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:57 AM

296 posts, read 261,161 times
Quote:
The thing is anyone that has any sort of knowledge on Eric, knows that he speaks with a bit of "tounge in cheek". Him calling dart players "real men" is an example.
I remember him losing in the world championship ( there was only one back then ) & saying " i keep getting knocked out by wallies", that was his way.
So, a huge over reaction, as usual...., just a witch hunt by sjw idiots, did the same to Glen Hoddle

As to the abuse, sorry but none of this surprises me, when i was young, there were boys in my class that were abused & what happened...? Yep, they were then made fun of by the other boys. The guy was arrested, but not charged, he was only sacked & probably went on to work somewhere else.
All this acting "high & mighty" crap displayed on this forum & others does not impress me one bit!
Only a few years ago in the US, same thing, i can gurantee that more & more will follow Pizza Gate anyone?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.876b9fee9320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUGj5IhepMg

Old 12-04-2016, 04:00 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

The yougsters probably feared speaking out and also feared for their footballing careers if they said anything, then there is the stigma of being abused, the media attention, and the possibility of going to Court.

As for taking the law in to there own hands, many did contemplate it, including Ex Newcastle United player Derek Bell who went looking for his abuser with a knife.

Those in power have used their power to conceal what has gone on, whether it be television entertainers and celebritities, politicians, police chiefs, the church, schools, young offenders institutions, social work departments, boys clubs, football clubs or numerous other such organisations.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The yougsters probably feared speaking out and also feared for their footballing careers if they said anything, then there is the stigma of being abused, the media attention, and the possibility of going to Court.

As for taking the law in to there own hands, many did contemplate it, including Ex Newcastle United player Derek Bell who went looking for his abuser with a knife.

Those in power have used their power to conceal what has gone on, whether it be television entertainers and celebritities, politicians, police chiefs, the church, schools, young offenders institutions, social work departments, boys clubs, football clubs or numerous other such organisations.
It is obvious as various scandals have come to light, how some people with authority, and access over children, abused that power.

The church, children's homes, show biz stars, and now football.

There is another scandal brewing over ex PM Edward Heath. I have known about this man for a few years, from internet articles. If half I have read, turns out to be true, then Heath, and what he allegedly got up to with children, will be a massive scandal.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Its alleged Heath was involved not only in abuse of boys but some murders too, while on a boat with other men, there is also a list of names that used this guest house, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_Gu..._abuse_scandal names on youtube..........I read that some boys were taken from homes and the street , dressed up in fairy costumes etc and abused, some reports say some boys were put in a tumble drier, if these stories are true its horrific, but the thing is that back then hardly anyone listened to complaints, Orphanages and childrens homes were targeted sadly and who would listen to these children....Jill Dando its said was on their tails before she was murdered, but that was all covered up well too, I remember a young friend when I was young who was attacked by a man up a dark close in Glasgow, she told her mother who told her not to tell anyone, this was back in the 1950s so if a mother then told her child not to tell ,how many more did the same....what was she thinking,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom