Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,669,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Republicans have been perfecting it for the last eight years.
Perhaps that true, so now you decide to join the party and call it something else..

Old 02-01-2017, 12:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,738,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't see where it's a vote against "coastal elitists" though. It was more about illegal and refugee immigration. Same as Brexit. Even many of us liberal Democrats are opposed to open borders. It has to stop.
It's about trade too, or more to the point, existing lousy trade deals that have harmed American middle class workers like nothing else before. The highly educated and highly paid New Yorkers and Californians didn't feel it because these issues didn't affect them at all. But people up and down the rust belt, where plenty of once thriving cities have turned into ghost towns, felt it keenly. Right to the very end, Obama was still hawking that stupid TPP deal, and Hillary only changed her tune after seeing the backlash from American workers over TPP.

Instead of acknowledging these middle class folks' concerns, Hillary mocked them and called them homophobic, xenophobic, deplorables, whatever. So they silently took their revenge at the voting booth. Who's laughing now?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:52 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Mod Note:
While this is obviously an inflammatory topic, keep it civil, no name calling or divisiveness. Save that for P&OC, thus forum is predominantly Brits, and ex-pats, we have a reputation to uphold in regards to political discourse without the need to spill each others blood (literally or figuratively). With a few notable historic exceptions.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM

729 posts, read 430,044 times
In my first post, I meant Breitbart Jerusalem.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
The reality is you can't blame all Americans for Trump, Obama, or Bush. USA is 45% Liberal, 45% Conservative, 10% Moderate. Whoever wins the 10% of swing voters wins the election. USA had a lot of conservatives during Obama's 8 years and now under Trump there are still lots of liberals.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,687,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Perhaps that true, so now you decide to join the party and call it something else..
???

Old 02-01-2017, 05:19 PM

70 posts, read 65,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
More than three million Americans voted against Trump than for him. He is an idiot and we know that but don't hate us all .He will be gone in four years and we will fixe all he screwed up.

Lets hope its that easy....

Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
I love the comments from GraceC, Kambam, Censusdata, English Dave, mco65, Samiamnh.

G1 and In_newengland, and you other haters, can seethe. President Trump has done more for women's rights by trying to block the spread of sharia law in our nation. And the right to an abortion doesn't mean pro-life taxpayers have to pay for it. And shove your con-artist line back where the sun don't shine. Trump is a man of his word and at this point anyone trying to deny that is just bitter and likely envious that he's got more success in one day than you'd have in a lifetime.

And for the record, we LOVE Steve Bannon too. The attacks on him are pure idiocy. He's a veteran and a patriot who loves this nation dearly. I think he even has children who serve in our military. They tried to label him anti-Semitic. Have you clowns never heard of Breitbart Israel? The idiots with their smears have never even actually been to the website. And truth be told, democrats have a history of being anti- Semitic and anti-Israel. A pro-Israel platform was booed at a recent Democratic National Convention (I think maybe 2012), and the guy on stage had to just force it through.
Your name calling and extreme anger don't do your cause any good. I am not a hater. Far from it.

Again, the stereotypes and labeling of people as one thing or another is divisive and inaccurate. Most people choose on a case by case basis and since neither party is very acceptable, they choose what they believe to be the lesser of two evils.

To take away something like abortion is a step into the distant past and it's largely driven by the extremist religions on the right. Their religion shouldn't be a part of our government.
We should be getting something like maternity leave--I think they have that in the UK?

Trump as a con artist is well known.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.fbf7d176c116

The former customers said they were taken in by false promises including advertisements in which Trump promised seminar attendees would learn his personal tricks for succeeding in real estate from instructors he had personally hand-picked.
He got out of the resulting lawsuits by paying people off to the tune of $24 million.

Most people wouldn't like this either:

Donald J. Trump proudly acknowledges he did not pay a dime in federal income taxes for years on end.

But he did that by using legal tax loopholes. However, in the 1990s he stretched the limit in tax avoidance so far to the limits that his own advisers told him he would be in trouble if he were audited. He avoided reporting hundreds of millions of dollars in taxable income.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/u...trump-tax.html

And, to this day, he has not reported his most recent income taxes. While he was running for office, he lied and told everyone he was being audited and could not report his taxes but that he would report them later on. Later on.....he told everyone that he is not going to release his taxes. That sounds like something sneaky was going on AND it makes him a liar too.

There is no law that requires the president to make his tax information public, but they always do anyway. Trump, by not doing so, raises suspicion.

Things like this, and a lot of others, are being overlooked because he is saying what he thinks the people want to hear. He may not be all bad. He might be able to bring some jobs back, but those coal mining jobs are not coming back and neither are many factory jobs--no matter what he says. Times have changed. Things are automated now. Robots do things. Maybe he should set up some sort of program to train people for the jobs of today.

One good thing he is doing is the immigration crackdown. But if that's all people see, they are not seeing the entire picture and especially, they are not seeing how negatively his actions affect many Americans.

How any of this makes me a bitter, envious hater is beyond me.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 PM

729 posts, read 430,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Your name calling and extreme anger don't do your cause any good. I am not a hater. Far from it.

Again, the stereotypes and labeling of people as one thing or another is divisive and inaccurate. Most people choose on a case by case basis and since neither party is very acceptable, they choose what they believe to be the lesser of two evils.

To take away something like abortion is a step into the distant past and it's largely driven by the extremist religions on the right. Their religion shouldn't be a part of our government.
We should be getting something like maternity leave--I think they have that in the UK?

Trump as a con artist is well known.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.fbf7d176c116

The former customers said they were taken in by false promises including advertisements in which Trump promised seminar attendees would learn his personal tricks for succeeding in real estate from instructors he had personally hand-picked.
He got out of the resulting lawsuits by paying people off to the tune of $24 million.

Most people wouldn't like this either:

Donald J. Trump proudly acknowledges he did not pay a dime in federal income taxes for years on end.

But he did that by using legal tax loopholes. However, in the 1990s he stretched the limit in tax avoidance so far to the limits that his own advisers told him he would be in trouble if he were audited. He avoided reporting hundreds of millions of dollars in taxable income.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/u...trump-tax.html

And, to this day, he has not reported his most recent income taxes. While he was running for office, he lied and told everyone he was being audited and could not report his taxes but that he would report them later on. Later on.....he told everyone that he is not going to release his taxes. That sounds like something sneaky was going on AND it makes him a liar too.

There is no law that requires the president to make his tax information public, but they always do anyway. Trump, by not doing so, raises suspicion.

Things like this, and a lot of others, are being overlooked because he is saying what he thinks the people want to hear. He may not be all bad. He might be able to bring some jobs back, but those coal mining jobs are not coming back and neither are many factory jobs--no matter what he says. Times have changed. Things are automated now. Robots do things. Maybe he should set up some sort of program to train people for the jobs of today.

One good thing he is doing is the immigration crackdown. But if that's all people see, they are not seeing the entire picture and especially, they are not seeing how negatively his actions affect many Americans.

How any of this makes me a bitter, envious hater is beyond me.

I'm going to be honest, most of us don't care what The New York Times and Washington Post have to say. They hate Trump, the shareholders, the editors, everyone, they hate him. They're biased. It's as clear as day.

Secondly, I apologize to YOU for the name-calling. I don't know if you're a democrat, but they sort of do it far more then we do. How many times have I argued with democrats and all they resort to are the usual labels: bigot, racist, sexist, etc. We've been attacked almost as much as Trump for supporting him, since day one.

Abortion issue: I can agree that trying to overturn Roe vs. Wade should not be a priority. I'm pro-choice, so I honestly hope it doesn't happen. But there are a lot of pro-life people that don't want their hard-earned tax dollars going to fund abortion for people who can't afford their own. Simple as that. Maybe people who support Planned Parenthood can fund it some way in the future, but pro-lifers have every right to refuse to pay.

Tax issue: He didn't pay because he didn't have to. Who wrote the laws at the time? Who made it so that a billionaire like him could write-off his huge loss in the the 1990s (under Bill Clinton's economy)? He was brilliant to take advantage of such a law. Are you going to pay more than you have to? With all the property Trump has in New York City alone, he contributes A LOT in taxes to the city, state and federal government in other ways; via wages to his employees, sales taxes on things he sells in his properties, property taxes, employing so many New Yorkers, gainful employment I might add. The list goes on. And we don't care about his taxes. He's doing a great job in his first two weeks.

Con artist? LOL, Trump University? The university had a very high approval rating from MOST of the students. In the lawsuit, the LEAD plaintiff was dismissed, since she originally gave praise to the program. I have buyer's remorse for wasting money on a college too. A lot of us do. Just tell them to grow up and move on. That's life. If he really paid them $24 Million, they should be glad they got that much. They knew what hey were getting into. Quite frankly, a seminar can only teach you so much. Honestly, it always boils do to whether YOU have the work ethic to make your own dreams come true or not. How many people have degrees, a mountain of student debt, but no good job afterwards? Another shade for another tree....

He can create new jobs. We can tap into out own resources and stop giving so much to fake-friends like Saudi Arabia. Automation? One thing about automation is that one of the main driving factors pushing employers to use it, well what is expediting the transition, is the demand for increased minimum wage. These small and medium-sized businesses cannot afford to give $15/hour. Another thing, WE can make our own robots! Why not? And people would be needed for maintenance as well. I do get that some of the jobs definitely wouldn't last forever, though. I think coal could come back temporarily. Manufacturing, well, it depends on what's being made (like hopefully our own homemade robots). I do get that we want cheap stuff, and that cheap labor gives us cheap stuff. This is a difficult balancing act. We can't be too protectionist, we can't let the environment be decimated like the pre-EPA era. But we also can't keep letting things go the way they've been going; the bad trade agreements, massive trade debts, losses of jobs, being financially-bound to enemies, etc. It's a delicate balancing act.

We all want that green-energy boom. But in the mean time, we can use our resources; our shale oil, our natural gas, until green energy is truly ready for "prime-time." LOL, most people can't afford a Tesla. There needs to be some competition in the electric-car market, or something.

You're right that people should not get distracted and too lax. We're going to hold all of them accountable, even Trump if need be. I'll be honest, I hope we don't go to war.

Nonetheless, one of many reasons we nominated Trump is because of another big problem. Our government is corrupt. A lot of people can't see it. Some hide it better than others. But they are. All parties; democrat, republican, etc. It's sort of difficult to explain without proof, but they are. If anything, Trump's pace compared to the sluggish pace of congress has to make you wonder, why are they so slow? How do lobbyists get away with so much? And why isn't there more proof? They hide it well and the media hides it for them (including NYT and WaPo. I'm sorry, but Hillary and Bill are probably the biggest crooks to ever to seek the presidency). If they implemented good policy, maybe no one would care. But Big Pharma needs to be tackled. Some unions need to be tackled. Some multinational companies need to be tackled. These politicians who want to keep us in wars need to be outed (McCain, Graham, etc). But why won't anyone do it? They're all puppets to the lobbyists. How many strings are pulled by George Soros? Why were so may so anxious to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and sell us out? This just boils down to human nature, and how power corrupts. Someone in power is always up to something. Trump isn't perfect. But he's a stark contrast to those snakes.

I don't know how you feel about that, but there's something to it. There's got to be. I'm not going to argue about this. I believe there is a lot of corruption, and most Americans should too.

Last edited by Manimuni; 02-01-2017 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,687,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
I'm going to be honest, most of us don't care what The New York Times and Washington Post have to say. They hate Trump, the shareholders, the editors, everyone, they hate him. They're biased. It's as clear as day.
Look your taking the thread some place it was never intended but this is one thing I want to address becuase I won't address the name calling.

The press is doing their job .Trump supporters only attack the MSM when they call out Trump for his arrogant and many ignorant comments.It's called doing their JOB. It is the job of the "free press" to question it's leaders and call the leaders of the country out on every little thing.When people call the NY Time and the Washington Post "biased" I just laugh at them and think about how uneducated they are about the Freedoms the United States Constitution offers and how a real "free press" is there to enlighten and inform them and protect them. "biased"...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom