Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,810,472 times

Advertisements

ON TV just now its just been said that HM Queen Elizabeth has said that only , Bush and Obama have actually had State visits to the UK.. well theres something I never knew....just been told on the Andrew Neil politics show .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
ON TV just now its just been said that HM Queen Elizabeth has said that only , Bush and Obama have actually had State visits to the UK.. well theres something I never knew....just been told on the Andrew Neil politics show .
Two Presidents under the current Queen's Reign, the only other was Woodrow Wilson whose family originated from Carlisle.

There is a Wetherspoons pub in Carlisle called the Woodrow Wilson, however I don't think Woodrow Wilson would drink there if he were still alive.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-03-2017 at 03:31 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,287,400 times
Hey I was watching some cooking show on TV yesterday with Michael Buerk.

Apparently the Queen sent Eisenhower her recipe for drop scones as she'd promised at some function Eisenhower apparently replied by asking what caster sugar was.

Now I don't know about a state function, but personally I'd take the Queens recipe and correspondence over a state visit any day, and I'm for a republic of GB.

Just sayin...

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Two Presidents under the current Queen's Reign, the only other was Woodrow Wilson whose family originated from Carlisle.

There is a Wetherspoons pub in Carlisle called the Woodrow Wilson, however I don't think Woodrow Wilson would drink there if he were still alive.

Which in my opinion, makes Woodrow Wilson not a bad judge, a perceptive man of taste indeed.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Which in my opinion, makes Woodrow Wilson not a bad judge, a perceptive man of taste indeed.
Woodrow Wilson had teeth like a pit pony and have you ever been in a Wetherspoons.

As for Full State Presidential Visits we have had two in the current Queens reign and of course Woodrow Wilson's in 1918.

Donald Trump petition: What is a state visit? - BBC News

Pic Link

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Woodrow Wilson had teeth like a pit pony and have you ever been in a Wetherspoons.

As for Full State Presidential Visits we have had two in the current Queens reign and of course Woodrow Wilson's in 1918.

Donald Trump petition: What is a state visit? - BBC News

Pic Link

The condition of Pres. Wilson's teeth is immaterial to me, and yes, I have been in two Wetherspoon's pubs, the second because I thought that surely it couldn't be as bad as the first one was.
Unfortunately, IMO, it was.
I'm no one special, just a regular guy who enjoys a few vodka and tonics every once in a while, hopefully in pleasant surroundings, to me those two establishments didn't qualify as pleasant surroundings.
I felt as if I'd stumbled on to the set of one of those Channel 5 Benefit Street shows.
On both occasions the bar server's eyed actually narrowed when I asked what vodka did they carry, I thought that perhaps I'd asked, "Is your caviar Russian, or Iranian?"

Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 PM

20,802 posts, read 8,628,969 times
Trump is a 'blue collar billionaire' and hates formal occasions, having to wear a tuxedo, making small talk. He'd probably fly in one day and leave the next, meeting the Queen, May, popping in to say hi to Piers and Nigel!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:51 PM

18,544 posts, read 18,810,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Trump is a 'blue collar billionaire' and hates formal occasions, having to wear a tuxedo, making small talk. He'd probably fly in one day and leave the next, meeting the Queen, May, popping in to say hi to Piers and Nigel!
he certainly is, hes did whistle stops over Scotland when he visited this country, the man is very driven and a go getter , unlike some that went before him.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,330,894 times
Quote:
he certainly is, hes did whistle stops over Scotland when he visited this country, the man is very driven and a go getter , unlike some that went before him.
My opinion only, but since his mother was from the Isle of Lewis and was Scottish I would think President Trump would feel honored to visit his mother's homeland on an official basis but not necessarily a state visit.

at least I would if it were me.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 01-25-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 AM

9,184 posts, read 13,284,224 times
Quote:
Yeah, I read that too but I don't get it. Presidents have visited the UK - and the Queen - many times. For instance, Ronald Reagan was invited to Windsor Castle where there are pictures of him and the Queen horseback riding together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom