Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Not really Posh toffs say it as well.
Like Prince Charles! I heard him say "who the bloody hell wrote this", when doing a guest speaker part for the weather for a local news station.IMO, if he can say it, anyone can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
I do utter "sod off!" quite a lot. But regrettably despite my demure and/or angelic, elfin looks (ha!) I do swear like a sergeant-major sometimes (If you've seen "Full Metal Jacket", you'll know what I mean!)

And being of South African origin, I do sometimes utter a bit of Afrikaans at people (usually at other drivers) - but obviously being the "lady" that I am (as well fearing a mod jumping all over me, lol) I will refrain from repeating any here

But I don't think even they have anything similar to "Bloody Hell".
The mod is close friends with two Afrikaaners from PE and knows a lot of South African slang and profanity. That said most people don't. Just remember to be careful how you refer to your bokke .

I do like SA just now, now, now now, right now means of time spans, because they don't make sense.

As far as bloody hell I use it rarely, more frequently I'm more like 20 seconds into this clip.
https://youtu.be/ZDaDEi9KF0E

Old 03-01-2017, 12:54 PM

63 posts, read 73,338 times
Not sure about the Brits, but us Eastern Canadians do

Old 03-01-2017, 01:00 PM

473 posts, read 307,483 times
That sounds as soft as "candy land" or something.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Yesterday I heard Bloody Hell and Bloody good, both within a few minutes, spoken when he was making "tea" (dinner). I'm leaving for England in a week so I'll be spying on a lot of them to hear how they talk!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yesterday I heard Bloody Hell and Bloody good, both within a few minutes, spoken when he was making "tea" (dinner). I'm leaving for England in a week so I'll be spying on a lot of them to hear how they talk!
"tea" (dinner)? Bloody Hell, never heard that when I lived in England.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
"tea" (dinner)? Bloody Hell, never heard that when I lived in England.
Bloody Hell, every single evening the man asks what's for tea. So my answer was to make him a bloody cookbook and now I ask him what's for tea.

It's a north of England thing.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Bloody Hell, every single evening the man asks what's for tea. So my answer was to make him a bloody cookbook and now I ask him what's for tea.

It's a north of England thing.
Could be. In my wife's family it was breakfast, lunch, tea and supper.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
My Welsh father, now deceased, said it all the time, but, it was the first swear word (the bloody part was what he considered the worst!) that I got cuffed for trying to say when I was a kid.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Could be. In my wife's family it was breakfast, lunch, tea and supper.
Someone else says supper? I was embarrassed to admit it but where I live it's supper. Dinner is Sunday or something fancy in a restaurant or fancy dinner at someone's home. But I live in New England and we seem to be different.

I think the use of "tea" to mean supper is a northern thing. Just the same as, "The clock were slow." (which I just heard.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom