Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

As a fresh air fiend, one of the things I enjoy about staying in England is the lack of screens on the windows. I love to have the windows open and the fresh air wafting in. It's a novelty when I go there--open the windows and stick your hand right out! No screen!

Here, even one shrill, humming mosquito buzzing around the room can drive you nuts. Then they bite you--that hurts and itches. So we need the stupid screens.

With summer here in the north, it's been 35C with high humidity. You have to run the a/c and it's a waste of electricity to open the windows and let the heat and humidity in. We close the blinds and curtains and sit in the dark to keep the heat out. You can't really be outside. It's horrible but at least summer in the north only lasts three months.

It's only about 27C today and all windows are open with the curtains fluttering. We cherish days like this, there are so few of them. Yes, as someone said, screens are due to our wretched climate. You should see what we have to do in winter for the sub freezing temps and all the ice and snow! No rest for the weary.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a fresh air fiend, one of the things I enjoy about staying in England is the lack of screens on the windows. I love to have the windows open and the fresh air wafting in. It's a novelty when I go there--open the windows and stick your hand right out! No screen!

Here, even one shrill, humming mosquito buzzing around the room can drive you nuts. Then they bite you--that hurts and itches. So we need the stupid screens.

With summer here in the north, it's been 35C with high humidity. You have to run the a/c and it's a waste of electricity to open the windows and let the heat and humidity in. We close the blinds and curtains and sit in the dark to keep the heat out. You can't really be outside. It's horrible but at least summer in the north only lasts three months.

It's only about 27C today and all windows are open with the curtains fluttering. We cherish days like this, there are so few of them. Yes, as someone said, screens are due to our wretched climate. You should see what we have to do in winter for the sub freezing temps and all the ice and snow! No rest for the weary.
I don't think we have mosquito's here......... at least if we do, they don't bite. When I'm in Greece the little suckers eat me alive. Nothing worse than being woken at 3am by that high pitched buzzing near your ear!!.......

We are lucky here bug wise. We get flies of course, but not enough to worry about. As I said, all our house windows have been open all day, and no flies buzzing round.

Now, if we have the back door open while Judy is cooking, the flies must smell it, and in they come. I have my trusty swatter that I bought in Turkey. Unlike a rolled newspaper, they never see it coming. Something to do with the small holes in it I was told. It doesn't displace the air, and give them flying away time.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:

The 35°C days were only a handful; our summers aren't that hot otherwise, average high of 29°C. I don't have A/C. I get some would prefer it; but 2/3rds of the summers in New England isn't that hot, mild enough a good breeze + fan can take care of it nicely.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Just a word to the wise to Americans suffering from problems with flies, and other insects. Don't use fly spray to kill them. Just spray clothing starch........ they will then just glide out of the window.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I don't think we have mosquito's here......... at least if we do, they don't bite.
We absolutely do have mosquitoes here, and they certainly bite. If you live anywhere near a river or reservoir, you can't open your windows in the summer without them getting in and biting!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
We absolutely do have mosquitoes here, and they certainly bite. If you live anywhere near a river or reservoir, you can't open your windows in the summer without them getting in and biting!
Yeah? Well I'll go ter end er street......... I've never lived near water.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Actually, since I'm living by the ocean right now, I could pretend I was in England! Turns out there are no mosquitoes by the ocean. I don't know how far inland this benefit extends, not very far probably, because the town sprays for mosquitoes in the rest of the town.

We have window fans that we install in summer so that we can sleep at night--dh was messing with one the other day, got fed up with the screen and took it right off. So we have no screen on that window. But a big fan is blocking it instead.

Without screens, don't birds ever fly into the house? Bats?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM
B87

Quote:
Yeah? Well I'll go ter end er street......... I've never lived near water.
All of London's reservoirs and numerous small streams and rivers can be found in W and SW London. They love it here!

There are 34 species of native mosquito in the UK.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Without screens, don't birds ever fly into the house? Bats?
I've never had a bird fly in the house. A couple have hit the glass though over the years........

Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM
B87

Quote:
I've never had a bird fly in the house. A couple have hit the glass though over the years........
I've heard of pigeons and parakeets that have flown into open windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom