Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,402,594 times

Advertisements

I read Boris Johnson has had his warning from Conservative MPs supporting his leadership bid. He has better get us out of the EU by the end of October, or else......

These MPs have said to him, if he doesn't deliver, they will leave the Conservatives, and join the Brexit party.

Brussels say they believe Johnson will ditch his promises, and ask for another extension. Johnson will have only 100 days from when he is expected to enter number 10 as PM on July 22nd.

I don't have much faith in Johnson. I have a feeling a car crash is coming down the line. I will watch with interest just who he appoints into his cabinet. We need someone with guts now, to see this through, and get us out of the EU at the end of October. If Johnson fails, the British public will wipe the Tory party out at the next General Election.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,494,679 times
Has there ever been a Prime Minister who has appeared on Eastenders ?

https://twitter.com/Julian5News/stat...58995286609920

Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Farage stood as an MP seven times and was never elected, whilst UKIP never acheived that much.

If Farage is such a major force in politics then why isn't he sitting in the House of Commons.

Electoral history of Nigel Farage - Wikipedia

Nigel Farage's 7 Failed Attempts To Become An MP | HuffPost UK

Farage even walked away, and the Brexit Party is a one issue party, whilst Cameron's problems with his own backbenchers back in 2010/11 and the split in the Tory party were the main reasons for Cameron's referendum promise and his visits to the EU.

As for Brexit, many Tories played far more of a role than Farage, and those Brexiteers in the Tory party held real power and influence in relation to Cameron.

Whilst if predictions are right and Brexiteer Boris Johnson becomes PM, and deivers the Brexit he has promised, then Frage and the Brexit Party will become irrelevant.

If you recall Boris Johnson, did just as much Brexit campaigning as Farage and others during the referedum. Indeed Boris, David Davis and Liam Fox were known at the time as the three Brexiteers.

Which means nothing, indeed the SDP led the polls during part of the 80's but never became a real political force, and the SDP were not just a one issue party.

As for being in infancy it generally means an early stage in the development, and Nigel Farage himself is the first to afmit this, stating that a more established party such as Labour had a big advantage ion the recent Peterborough by-election over the recently established Brexit Party.

" Fear is the key to understanding why, fear most of all of Nigel Farage. This is the single most important factor propelling Boris Johnson towards Number 10. The leader of the Brexit party is not on the ballot paper, but he is the most influential personality in this contest. He is a giant magnet attracting clouds of iron filings in the direction of the former foreign secretary. By far and away his biggest-selling proposition to Tory MPs terrified of losing their seats is that he is the only one of them with the force of personality to stand any chance of suffocating the Brexit party and defeating Labour. "

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...nservative-mps

Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM

1,139 posts, read 463,030 times
Boris Johnson was on Eastenders? Heavens what a groan that is.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 AM

391 posts, read 195,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
A cuttings hatchet job from the painfully woke The New Yorker.
I think the new Yorker was woke, long before woke was woke. Any magazine of integrity, liberal or conservative, writing for its readers, (not foreign readers), about a personality in another country has a duty to supply both the conventional and alternative views, with emphasis on what is believed to be the lesser known among its readers of those views.

Specifically, what about the piece do you believe is inaccurate? Or is it that you just can't stomach valid criticism?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
I think the new Yorker was woke, long before woke was woke. Any magazine of integrity, liberal or conservative, writing for its readers, (not foreign readers), about a personality in another country has a duty to supply both the conventional and alternative views, with emphasis on what is believed to be the lesser known among its readers of those views.

Specifically, what about the piece do you believe is inaccurate? Or is it that you just can't stomach valid criticism?
It's the usual canter through what he did at university and his racy private life interspersed by a succession of Boris-haters,including an embittered ex-wife, venting their spleens.
Do we really care what his housemaster wrote when he was 17 ?
It's the year 2019.Anyone under the pensionable age doesn't really care what he got up to as a teenager or in his private life.
His two-term office as mayor of one of the greatest cities on earth which saw huge amount of financial growth and investment is dismissed as " To Johnson’s credit, nothing went disastrously wrong during his eight years as mayor. "
And the author is disingenuous with the truth.
The " Road to Mandalay " incident ? A scandalous affront ?
" In January, 2017, inside the Shwedagon Pagoda, a Buddhist shrine in Myanmar, a microphone picked up his muttered recital of a colonial-era poem (Kipling again), before the British Ambassador stopped him. "
What the hack fails to mention is the reason why he was reciting the poem is because it had just been performed at an official function organised by his local hosts.
It's a cracking poem - here's Charles Dance giving it welly at the commemoration held in London to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Victory over Japan Day on 15th August 2015.
It's a lament not an insult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRt50wyaLg

The EU is terrified of Boris because they know he's the complete opposite of the Theresa May doormat.
The British Establishment is terrified of him because they know he's popular and cuts across all classes and age groups.
The media is jealous of Boris because he's paid £250k to effortlessly churn out well-written columns.
He's not perfect by any means but I'd take him now over any of those other chinless wonders who won't deliver Brexit on Oct 31st.

But what's not surprising is how much of the media that hates Brexit hates Boris too.
Including The New Yorker and the really dreadful New York Times.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
It's the usual canter through what he did at university and his racy private life interspersed by a succession of Boris-haters,including an embittered ex-wife, venting their spleens.
It's the year 2019.Anyone under the pensionable age doesn't really care what he got up to as a teenager or in his private life.
His two-term office as mayor of one of the greatest cities on earth which saw huge amount of financial growth and investment is dismissed as " To Johnson’s credit, nothing went disastrously wrong during his eight years as mayor. "
" In January, 2017, inside the Shwedagon Pagoda, a Buddhist shrine in Myanmar, a microphone picked up his muttered recital of a colonial-era poem (Kipling again), before the British Ambassador stopped him. "
What the hack fails to mention is the reason why he was reciting the poem is because it had just been performed at an official function organised by his local hosts.
It's a cracking poem - here's Charles Dance giving it welly at the commemoration held in London to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Victory over Japan Day on 15th August 2015.

The EU is terrified of Boris because they know he's the complete opposite of the Theresa May doormat.
The British Establishment is terrified of him because they know he's popular and cuts across all classes and age groups.
The media is jealous of Boris because he's paid £250k to effortlessly churn out well-written columns.
He's not perfect by any means but I'd take him now over any of those other chinless wonders who won't deliver Brexit on Oct 31st.

But what's not surprising is how much of the media that hates Brexit hates Boris too.
Roscoe, do you realize who the intended audience for that type of article in the New Yorker is? It's people in small towns in the US. The magazine is in many small-town libraries in the US, as is the New York Times. There's a reason that people in the US can frequently be heard saying, "Well, I wouldn't want that to see that on the front page of the New York Times." Before USA Today, the New York Times was the closest thing to a national newspaper. The New Yorker is the magazine equivalent. A story about Boris Johnson isn't intended for you, it's intended for people in small-town America who may or may not remember him as the mayor of London, but don't know much about him. The mayor of London isn't important to small-town Americans. The Prime Minister of the UK is of interest to them.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Roscoe, do you realize who the intended audience for that type of article in the New Yorker is? It's people in small towns in the US. The magazine is in many small-town libraries in the US, as is the New York Times. There's a reason that people in the US can frequently be heard saying, "Well, I wouldn't want that to see that on the front page of the New York Times." Before USA Today, the New York Times was the closest thing to a national newspaper. The New Yorker is the magazine equivalent. A story about Boris Johnson isn't intended for you, it's intended for people in small-town America who may or may not remember him as the mayor of London, but don't know much about him. The mayor of London isn't important to small-town Americans. The Prime Minister of the UK is of interest to them.
Sorry,but I struggle to accept The New Yorker's core audience is small town America.
I would have put it more at liberal,metropolitian,Democrat-voting mainly university cities from New York to the East Coast and everything similar in between.
I actually like the magazine and read their stuff regularly.
But I know where their political sympathy lies.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:16 PM

391 posts, read 195,191 times
Quote:

Your opinions on the issue, no more than my own, are worthless. I asked you if there was something inaccurate about the piece, and you failed to identify anything.

SB295 is correct that liberals in small towns rely on their libraries for the likes of the NYer and much else. That is not to say it isn't also read by city folk, or that they are not the majority of readers.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Your opinions on the issue, no more than my own, are worthless. I asked you if there was something inaccurate about the piece, and you failed to identify anything.

SB295 is correct that liberals in small towns rely on their libraries for the likes of the NYer and much else. That is not to say it isn't also read by city folk, or that they are not the majority of readers.
We're both discussing an article we read online which rather negates the argument that small town America goes to a library to read a physical copy of The New Yorker.
But you justify my point exactly.
It's a cuttings rehash.
History.
The same old chestnuts reheated.
It counts for nothing because everything about Boris is already factored in to him becoming Prime Minister.
It's a wonderful affirmation of the British ability to forgive and forget.
Cometh the hour,cometh the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.