Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,468,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well thank you for being reasonable, because I think this person is trying to ask a legitimate question of some kind, yet he/she is labeled as "Russian troll" just because.

Hopefully we'll be able to put his/her restless mind to rest, instead of seeing the same questions popping up over and over again.

And if everything fails, at least we'll be referring him/her back to this post of yours.
Perhaps they are, but at the same time, we've seen these threads pop up numerous times on this forum. It always goes to the tune of " If US is such a terrible country then why hasn't X done....". It's pretty clear that it's the same user going by a different name.

As far as Russian trolls are concerned, well that is a legitimate thing online, but I wouldn't label you as such, because I know that you are a woman of integrity, which I respect, even if we are likely to disagree on a number of issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,040,479 times
СтепанРиз

Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post
It is wrong for any country to intervene unless of course the people of that nation welcome such intervention.

I believe it is always wrong to target civilians and those responsible must answer for it and I am sorry for your coworkers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my question: If so many Europeans feel strangled by US dominance, why doesn't it just end the alliance and treaties it has with the US?

I feel this way because I've been spending a lot of time over at Quora and they definitely feel this way. In fact, a lot of Europeans wants the US to collapse and be replaced by Russia or China or better, by them. They believe that the US is an incompetent power and that the world would be better led by another.

Also, I've come across Americans who live live in Europe and have had to deal with such resentment. So again, I ask, wouldn't it be much healthier if the Europe severs its ties with the US and find its own path?

What's your opinion in all of this?
Hmmm.....you picked an American sounding name and asked a provocative question. I think that you are posting here because it's your job. That's what I think.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:04 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Despite a bit of 'ribbing' the US and the other Anglo nations have always 'had our back' and I hope and like to think the favour is returned.
I don't know if there is a term for this, but the US should be ready to be a good ally in terms of trade.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 AM

245 posts, read 309,836 times
American here. I've been to England and have been learning a lot about these issues ever since Brexit started.

The "Five Eyes" group is the most important military/intelligence alliance in the world. I think most English-speakers are raised to have an instinctual affinity for one another. Perhaps there is an element of laziness to it because we don't want to learn another language, but for the most part it is the result of hundreds of years of shared history and culture. Even though we may have some minor disagreements, it would be totally unthinkable to break relations; like breaking relations with your own brother. The other NATO nations are more like cousins. I think one of the underlying emotions in Brexit was that Britain was never fully "European". They are there own entity but with one foot in Europe and another foot towards the west.

As far as the other European nations go, they may have issues with Americans, but very few would prefer to align with Russia. The internet community is not always reflective of the general population.

The quote American Sniper: "There are 3 types of people: Sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves" Europe is the sheep, US is the sheepdog, and Russia is the wolf. (In Asia, China is the wolf.) Sometimes, the sheepdog nips at the sheep heels and is a bully, but at the end of the day the sheep know who they prefer.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 673,828 times
The UK foreign policy over the last 100+ years has been to try keeping on good terms and in strong alliances with three different groups.

In no particular order

The USA
The countries of neighbouring continental Europe
The countries of the British Empire which then turned into countries of the Commonwealth

At different times more emphasis might have been placed on one of those compared with the others but in general the UK has tried to balance them all.

That's why the UK has always been a strong supporter of NATO which ties the US in with continental European countries and has never been that keen compared with many European countries on making the EU into a fully fledged alternative power to the US, wanting to have cooperation within Europe but not so far integrated as to make the the EU a totally independent rival to the US.

If you are not the US, not in the European institutions and not in the Commonwealth then the UK probably doesn't have very strong links with you, eg Latin America, Francophone Africa, Russia etc.

The rise of China tests that policy, the UK will need to have strong links with China in the 21st century if it wants to be successful, but how to do that without alienating any of the three traditional focuses of international relations?

Old 06-22-2019, 06:13 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
What do you think, you live in Europe, I think you have an idea?

I don't live in Europe, but I've met enough of Europeans to be aware that the anti-American sentiment exists there, in Great Britain including, and it has little to do with Russia.
The best way I can put it - part of Europeans think that in the long run the influence/domination of the US serves first and utmost American interests, while destroying in the process THEIR cultures and hurting THEIR economic interests.

(BTW in my book G.B. IS part of Europe, Old Europe to be precise.)

Old 06-22-2019, 06:25 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Perhaps they are, but at the same time, we've seen these threads pop up numerous times on this forum. It always goes to the tune of " If US is such a terrible country then why hasn't X done....". It's pretty clear that it's the same user going by a different name.

Yes, but I was pretty certain that this person was not trying to troll, but to get the answers to the questions that genuinely troubled him/her, keeping in mind that wherever this person came from, things are perceived over there differently than in Europe/US.

Quote:
As far as Russian trolls are concerned, well that is a legitimate thing online, but I wouldn't label you as such,

Yes "Russian trolls" are a real thing, but I can recognize them a mile away, even when their English is not outright of *retarded* kind, but very, very good.
So as I've said, the OP was not a "Russian troll" but had a genuine curiosity, posing his/her questions.

Quote:
because I know that you are a woman of integrity, which I respect, even if we are likely to disagree on a number of issues.

I think I am disintegrating here slowly but surely, as in "falling apart," but thanks for the compliment anyways.)))

Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
British people often complain about the wars, racism, US imperialism, US corporations, US influence, US anything, if so, why do the people of the UK allow themselves to ally itself with the US? Why doesn't the UK isolate it like what it is doing with North Korea or Iran? Why doesn't the the UK ban US corporations and kick out the US military? Why don't British people just keep the US out for good so that they won't be so hateful?....
Rubbish! The English want to live like the Americans!

My best friend is English, he refers to England as "Little America." The desperate slathering of Olde England is still there, but it is wrapped around an American heart.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Rubbish! The English want to live like the Americans!

My best friend is English, he refers to England as "Little America." The desperate slathering of Olde England is still there, but it is wrapped around an American heart.
Based on a sample of one.

I never knew that the English were identical in opinion. I mean it's clearly demonstrated by their unified stance on Europe, oh... wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom