Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,300 times

Advertisements

The people DID vote it is the politicians who are a groan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
He was lucky we took him in, instead of leaving the long streak of p*** to the mercy of the Germans. He never did like us, and did his best to keep us out of the Common Market. I sure wish he had succeeded......
A very Anglo centric take on events. He was a pragmatist. Something the British tend to usually understand. He fought his corner and his country's interests, just as Churchill done for his own country.
You obviously should feel a degree of gratitude and debt to De Gaulle for pointing out the obvious.....

Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,723 times
The only useful outcome of Brexit will be an object lesson for the people that “democracy” is a scam in which the people are allowed to pick their masters from an artfully manipulated selection of members of the ruling class in order to give them the illusion of self-determination. It’s when the system breaks down and usurpers like Trump or Brexit slip through that all hell breaks loose.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
It’s a prime minister’s job to lie. Political power and truth are fundamentally incompatible.
The idea being to keep the truth away from the common awareness of the people. Smoke and mirrors. Its who sells the best lines. Short slogans usually does the job. Tell a lie often enough and the population en mass will believe it. A case of if the masses knew what we know they would likely agree but as they can't be told for varied reasons , we'll act on their behalf as if they knew, with full knowledge of their accord.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was just puzzled because I remember my parents being furious that DeGaulle never thanked the UK or US, took pot shots at both of us, and then for good measure they said that he spent the war in London. They hated his guts.

Mom spent the war working as a Rosie the Riveter, making bombers. Dad was in the army Aircorps, traveling with Montgomery in North Africa, went to Sardinia, then France, and ended up at the wars crimes trials.

On the other hand, they absolutely loved Churchill.
Ever considered what the average view of the man on the street would have been with regards the French, or Italians, or Spaniards and the rest during those times and for a considerable time after. I would think his name would not need to be De Gaulle to install dislike and distrust in the average Englander.
Anything 'foreign' sounding would be enough, if in possession of an accent then obviously no hope of redemption.
The love of Churchill didn't last long after the war ended of course.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
The only useful outcome of Brexit will be an object lesson for the people that “democracy” is a scam in which the people are allowed to pick their masters from an artfully manipulated selection of members of the ruling class in order to give them the illusion of self-determination. It’s when the system breaks down and usurpers like Trump or Brexit slip through that all hell breaks loose.
Perhaps the system needs shocks to re energise itself and awaken the masses? The Take Back Control can literally come to mean that not some Brexit sloganeering meaning lets not allow ourselves to be held to account.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Even the most stringent supporter of Brexit if honest, should arrive at the conclusion that the outcome of that vote was not what was voted for. It was made sound so easy, usually the case when an argument is built on falsehoods and lies.
As such only fair to take it back to the people again.
I think you're probably insulting the intelligence of many leave voting people with this statement. I knew what I was voting for when I voted leave. I want out, by hook or by crook, and I know plenty of leave voting people who feel the same.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I think you're probably insulting the intelligence of many leave voting people with this statement. I knew what I was voting for when I voted leave. I want out, by hook or by crook, and I know plenty of leave voting people who feel the same.
I think a lot knew what they thought they were voting for. Big difference from knowing. I have no idea of the intelligence en mass of either side to insult such a thing. I am however fully aware of the misconceptions and lies told by those including Boris, who at one time could have swung either way on the issue as was more in support of but career advancement and ego pushed him into the direction he took.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
A French lady friend whatsapped me from Paris a few days ago:
"Here they tend to forget a little bit what USA and Britain did for France in 2nd world war. No thanks from the French. Nothing. Sometimes I Feel like telling them, without the British and Americans you would have been German or dead."
Indeed.
It's what I've been hearing occasionally during my current visit to the US.
The French have short memories.
They've forgotten just how many of them collaborated with the Nazis.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The UK has a Parliamentary system. That mean we have Parliament to debate and pass laws on our behalf as they think fit. Referenda is not a part of that process and should never be. That is why referenda is advisory. That is, it can ignored.
The tricky part is when you spend millions of pounds delivering a leaflet to every household in the country committing to honouring the outcome of the vote.
Very tricky indeed.
Still Momentum have promised to block every street in Britain as their way of trying to block Brexit undeomcratically.
And playing right into Boris's hands.
I know Remainers consider themselves far more intelligent than Leavers but if the last three years are anything to go by they're sadly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom