Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times

Advertisements

I've got a few questions about calling a General Election. I hope you here can answer them.

The Fixed Term Parliament Act requires a 2/3 majority for a GE, and that's not going to happen. However, it was mentioned that a vote of No Confidence would allow 14 days for an alternative government, and if one couldn't be formed, then a General Election would happen.

Would that GE happen by default?
Would it require a simple majority vote?

For Boris Johnson, the risks of a No Confidence vote would be if some combination of opponents actually found an alternative government leader. From what I've read, it would have to be a Non-Corbyn led government. Some have said Ken Clarke, but exactly who isn't the issue if it's not Corbyn. Whoever it was would end up leading a government similar to Ramsey MacDonald in the early 30s. In that case it was a small number of Labour MPs aligning with a large, but non-majority of Conservative MPs. 90 years later, it would be a small number of former Tory rebels, aligning with Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, and a smattering of others.

However, if that Franken-Government couldn't be patched together, the No Confidence vote would get Boris Johnson to where he wants to go, a General Election.

So, my final humdinger question is:

Could Boris Johnson arrange for his own side (or even himself) to table a vote of No Confidence, and get his loyal 301 Tory/DUP MPs to vote against his government, but in reality it would be for the government, and force Labour, Lib Dems, and SNP into the position of voting to express support for the government?

I think there might be some opposition MPs who simply couldn't bring themselves to walk through that side of the lobby door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I would remind you jman0war that Labour led by that Marxist Corbyn has been arguing for the right to have a general election but now doesn't. Public opinion results show that he would markedly lopse and Labour for all their waffle knows this. Hypocrisy comes to mind.
Boris is the hypocrite here, he had the gall to say to labour yesterday that they are afraid to put it to the people!

A general election isn’t putting Brexit to the people, even most of the remainers wouldn’t vote for Corbyn.

Boris needs to put Brexit it to the people properly or quit.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Boris is the hypocrite here, he had the gall to say to labour yesterday that they are afraid to put it to the people!

A general election isn’t putting Brexit to the people, even most of the remainers wouldn’t vote for Corbyn.

Boris needs to put Brexit it to the people properly or quit.
This was my worry when Boris got the job as PM. A bull in a china shop approach, and it has turned out that way. Gawd knows what is going to happen next.

What he does has, is growing support in the country, which surprised me. There, to me, seems to be a feeling of we have to get behind this man, whether we like it or not. Do or die.

He says he would rather die in a ditch, than go crawling to the EU to ask for an extension.

Something´s got to give.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This was my worry when Boris got the job as PM. A bull in a china shop approach, and it has turned out that way. Gawd knows what is going to happen next.

What he does has, is growing support in the country, which surprised me. There, to me, seems to be a feeling of we have to get behind this man, whether we like it or not. Do or die.

He says he would rather die in a ditch, than go crawling to the EU to ask for an extension.

Something´s got to give.
I think the penny is dropping with a lot of people that the idea of just keep pushing forward and we’ll get past the line approach isn’t going to work.

If he has the support you suggest, then putting it to the people shouldn’t concern you.

Deep down you and all those wanting Brexit know that it wouldn’t wash today, if you weigh up the pros and cons of being in the EU, the UK’s interests are better served by staying.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I think the penny is dropping with a lot of people that the idea of just keep pushing forward and we’ll get past the line approach isn’t going to work.

If he has the support you suggest, then putting it to the people shouldn’t concern you.

Deep down you and all those wanting Brexit know that it wouldn’t wash today, if you weigh up the pros and cons of being in the EU, the UK’s interests are better served by staying.
I notice you didn´t comment in the other Brexit thread, about the telly show I saw last night, about Polish slavers. Don´t keep telling me our interests are better served by staying in the EU.

Let´s have a General Election, and find out just how much support Boris Johnson has. I´ll give you this prediction - he´ll win it.

He´ll win big, if the kiddies just stare at their phones, instead of voting.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I notice you didn´t comment in the other Brexit thread, about the telly show I saw last night, about Polish slavers. Don´t keep telling me our interests are better served by staying in the EU.

Let´s have a General Election, and find out just how much support Boris Johnson has. I´ll give you this prediction - he´ll win it.

He´ll win big, if the kiddies just stare at their phones, instead of voting.
He wont win big, he could lose more support, he's only advantage is Labour being led by Corbyn.

I didnt comment because you are a broken record on immigration.

I'll pop across there and answer you now so to keep you happy....

Old 09-06-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
He wont win big, he could lose more support, he's only advantage is Labour being led by Corbyn.

I didnt comment because you are a broken record on immigration.

I'll pop across there and answer you now so to keep you happy....
If you didn´t see the programme, what´s the point? Broken record? What the hell are these criminals costing us? Where are the benefits of EU membership you go on about? Ensuring more jobs for lawyers and prison officers?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Criminals from Lancashire move to Hampshire and vice versa, does that mean we would be better off if nobody could move between the two places without having visas and permits and border controls? Out of the 3-4m EU citizens in the UK how many are slavers? A few hundred? A couple of thousands? If they are criminals they can be deported, but why throw away the advantages the EU brings to tens of millions of law abiding people in the UK and elsewhere just because of the actions of a tiny minority?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
One has to laugh.
The people who have been demanding a second referendum for three years are now the very ones against a general election they know Labour will lose.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Criminals from Lancashire move to Hampshire and vice versa, does that mean we would be better off if nobody could move between the two places without having visas and permits and border controls? Out of the 3-4m EU citizens in the UK how many are slavers? A few hundred? A couple of thousands? If they are criminals they can be deported, but why throw away the advantages the EU brings to tens of millions of law abiding people in the UK and elsewhere just because of the actions of a tiny minority?
He knows that, he's not daft, just stubborn.

I wonder how many people cast their vote to leave back in 2016 and are now so stubborn that they just can't or won't back down, even thought they know deep down they were had over by Farage and Johnson or can now see the damage is just not worth continuing with Brexit

But stubbornness or pride won't let them admit it

It's a complete shambles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom