Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 02:59 PM

44 posts, read 102,940 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Scotland. We are currently in the states and thinking of relocating to the UK in next couple years.

We are looking for a town in preferably the south west of England that has:

1) lots of choice for organic/paleo:keto food /grocery stories. I have a lot of diet restrictions so this is important to us.

2) just glancing, we are looking for a town that looks esthetically something like frome, bath. Lots of independent shops. Old fashioned looking/euro looking streets. We love waking.

3) need a highly ranked university nearby. I am psychology/ linguistic researcher and so need a good university within 30 mins commute.

4) a place good for families. We have an 11 year old. Don’t need a lot of land of anything. A small garden would be nice.

5) we don’t care about nightlife.

6) we are a weird mix of academic and artsy as a couple. I love bio psych and linguistics but also make music and do photography.

Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Exeter or Bristol

Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
Yes, Bristol

Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
You’d be better off sticking to one of the cities.

The best Universities in the South West of England are:

1/ University Of Bath
2/ University Of Exeter
3/ University Of Bristol

Bath is a lovely picturesque city, with lots of nice architecture. But it is a very expensive city to live in.

Exeter is also really nice. There’s a cathedral there, and people sit around on the cathedral green, when the weather is good. Also, people go to the riverside, where there’s lots of places to eat. It’s not as expensive to live in Exeter, as the other two cities mentioned.

Bristol is also a great place, with decent transport links. It’s got a harbourside to visit, and there are lots of things to do there. It can be quite an expensive place to live, though.

There are some decent shops in all of the three cities, but I can’t help with specifics that you mentioned. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
What about Cardiff? I was there a month ago and was pleasantly surprised. It's near Bristol but also only 1.5 hrs away from the absolutely gorgeous Gower Coast. Cardiff also has a university and cheaper cost of living than other places in the South-West without being too far from major hubs like London or Manchester unlike Exeter which is nice but out of the way.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What about Cardiff? I was there a month ago and was pleasantly surprised. It's near Bristol but also only 1.5 hrs away from the absolutely gorgeous Gower Coast. Cardiff also has a university and cheaper cost of living than other places in the South-West without being too far from major hubs like London or Manchester unlike Exeter which is nice but out of the way.
Where did you visit in Cardiff? I’m guessing that you saw the castle and Principality Stadium at least. You can’t really miss either of those, as they are both in the middle of town.

Two of the best places in Cardiff, I reckon, are Bute Park - which is the park next to the castle. And Penarth - which is on the coast, but is nicer and quieter than Barry Island. A lot of people also go to Cardiff Bay, but I’ve never been that bothered about it, as it has a lot of concrete to it.

But yes, the Gower is a very nice area. Anywhere from there westwards, are where the good beaches are. Glad you enjoyed your trip there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom