Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
In a strange town I normally head to a bar first for a drink.The more neighbourhoood bar the better. Invariably the barstaff are the best judge of a restaurant in town.
That and common sense like how busy the place looks.How many cars are parked outside.

It's why I rarely go into a restaurant that I can't see into.

That's a fairly good strategy.

The locals generally now where to eat and drink better than anyonme else.

The Michellin Guide is useless if you are looking for a nice local restaurant, and Michelin doesn't even rate many cusines such as Indian and Italian very highly, and it is hardly a comprehgensive guide.

Many see Michelin restaurants as places to avoid because they are full of the most pretentious people who are more interested in being seen in an exclusive restaurant than in the food itself.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
You have to tell me what these are ...

Grilled shrimp on parmesan-covered Caesar salad are my deal breakers when I'm in the sun.
Like here.
www.sandbardining.com
Many a long lunch over bottles of iced,oaked Chardonnay on the beach.Fantastic place.
Tater Tots are grated potatoes formed into cylinders and either deep fried or baked.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:13 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tater Tots are grated potatoes formed into cylinders and either deep fried or baked.
Sounds like a cross between a Croquette and a Hash brown.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:

I'll keep an eye out for them.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

That's a fairly good strategy.

The locals generally now where to eat and drink better than anyonme else.

The Michellin Guide is useless if you are looking for a nice local restaurant, and Michelin doesn't even rate many cusines such as Indian and Italian very highly, and it is hardly a comprehgensive guide.

Many see Michelin restaurants as places to avoid because they are full of the most pretentious people who are more interested in being seen in an exclusive restaurant than in the food itself.
Excellent point. If I ever picked up a copy of Michelin, it would be to see where to avoid.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Sounds like a cross between a Croquette and a Hash brown.
That sounds like a good description. I don't eat them out, because they're deep fried, therefore greasy. On a rare occasion I'll buy a bag in the supermarket and bake them at home. In US supermarkets they're in the frozen section next to the bags of french fries.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:22 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Roscoe, I don't give a rat's patoot about Michelin. I'd rather go to a place that's popular with locals and survey what they're eating, then look at the menu.

I made a couple of trips to the Eifel region of Germany, as well as Luxembourg and Belgium and a tour through a large amount of what had been West Germany. I'll try things. My biggest regret was skipping a pizza joint in Echternach, Luxembourg, but I was traveling with my father, who fought in WWII, and the pizza joint wouldn't have been the place to take him. He was from the generation where the thought was that if he said something that the locals didn't understand, the solution was to raise his volume. Very embarrassing. . .

First off, Florida is an odd mix. Not a place that I've ever had an urge to go. If you enjoyed it, good for you. You would have gotten a better feel for the country in the MidAtlantic.

Chick Fil A is just another fast food joint. I tried it once. That was enough for me. I have no idea what the big deal is. If people like it in the UK, well, good for them. If they don't like it, good for them, too. I'm not a fan of fast food, but it does have a place in life for a lot of people.

You seem to look down on people in the US. Maybe you would have preferred an area with old money. There are places all over the country with old money.

Far from it.I have many good friendships with Americans forged over the years.
I bought a house in Florida simply because of the weather and outdoor pursuits such as walking along a beach and ending up in a nice beach bar smoking a decent cigar watching the sun go down.
It was on the Gulf Coast and more Old Florida than much of the rest of the state and Atlantic Coast which I always found rather dull and uninteresting.
Fortunately like you I never developed a taste for fast food.
Even the thought of purchasing a fast-food joint burger makes me feel queasy but good luck to those who like that sort of food.
As I keep saying, each to their won ..

Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for them.
I never eat them out. They're deep fried and very greasy. I get them in the supermarket and bake them. It's an occasional treat with something that french fries would go well with. Ore Ida came up with them, but they've lost the copyright. There's a subset that states on the bag "with onions" way better if you can find them. I like them with fish. Kids absolutely love them. In the US, people sometimes dip them in ketchup. I'd assume that malt vinegar would work as well.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Conkling's Law* in action.

* Rather like Godwin's Law and Hitler any internet poster whose argument is floundering inevitably blames Brexit
OK I had to laugh at that.

Hitler...

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Far from it.I have many good friendships with Americans forged over the years.
I bought a house in Florida simply because of the weather and outdoor pursuits such as walking along a beach and ending up in a nice beach bar smoking a decent cigar watching the sun go down.
It was on the Gulf Coast and more Old Florida than much of the rest of the state and Atlantic Coast which I always found rather dull and uninteresting.
Fortunately like you I never developed a taste for fast food.
Even the thought of purchasing a fast-food joint burger makes me feel queasy but good luck to those who like that sort of food.
As I keep saying, each to their won ..
I know I said before that I have not purchased a fast food burger since McDonald's came out with the fish sandwich. That's decades. In the last 10 years I think that I purchased fast food maybe 3 times, and I do recall that it was fried fish or clams and broccoli. If I want something fast, I'd rather go to a supermarket, get some shrimp steamed with Old Bay, take it home and refrigerate it, and eat that when it's totally chilled. That's a MidAtlantic treat in, usually, the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom