Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

This is all making me hungry for some Chick Fil A!

Old 10-11-2019, 11:54 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, supply and demand. Some US chains go over very well in the UK and Chick Fil A generally does a very good job vetting a location for a restaurant.

Here are some other US fast food chains doing well in the UK:

Krispy Kreme
Kentucky Fried Chicken
Pizza Hut
Burger King
McDonalds

Just to name a few US crossovers. They're doing well because people in the UK like them. Like I said, supply and demand.

I think we have some UK chain restaurants over here in the US as well. Pret A Manger springs to mind but I'm sure there are others.
Burger King & McDonalds are below average rated burger joints here in the US. Barely edible for most of us unless one is starving and nothing else is around. A place mainly for kids and millennial basement dwellers.

Pizza Hut is near the bottom of the pie chains. Overrated cardboard.

Krispy Kreme is just another donut. Most any local donut shop is better.

KFC is nowhere near as good as Chick Fil A.

If Chick Fil A can reproduce their recipe faithfully in the UK, then the Brits are indeed in for a treat.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's not like I eat at McDonald's with any frequency, I simply haven't bought a fast food burger since McDonald's came out with the fish sandwich. I spent much of my life near Philadelphia and I was more likely to buy a hoagie than patronize a fast food chain.
I didn't mean to imply that you frequented McDonalds. I was just noting that I don't frequent it EITHER.

So I really didn't have any way to compare it to a stateside experience when I was in Germany and we stopped there.

My favorite sandwich shop here isn't a chain at all.
https://www.eatlolas.com/

But honestly, these are too big. I generally either split one with my husband or eat half later.

When I was a teenager I worked at Burger King and I loved their fish sandwiches, though I haven't eaten at BK in decades.

Here in the south we don't call a fish sandwich a burger though. But we don't call submarine sandwiches hoagies either!

Old 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Burger King & McDonalds are below average rated burger joints here in the US. Barely edible for most of us unless one is starving and nothing else is around. A place mainly for kids and millennial basement dwellers.

Pizza Hut is near the bottom of the pie chains. Overrated cardboard.

Krispy Kreme is just another donut. Most any local donut shop is better.

KFC is nowhere near as good as Chick Fil A.

If Chick Fil A can reproduce their recipe faithfully in the UK, then the Brits are indeed in for a treat.
Oh I totally agree.

I don't eat at either Burger King or McDonalds, or Pizza Hut or Krispy Kreme or KFC for that matter. But I will stop in at Chick Fil A on occasion. I hope they can replicate the recipe across the pond.

Out of all those restaurants the only one I recommend is Chick Fil A actually. I hate the idea that someone might judge the US harshly based on a burger at McDonalds or Pizza Hut pizza! But hey, they are cheap and fast so there's that.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Ya gotta have baked beans with a full English breakfast Kathryn....... you know that!....... Or just beans on toast for those with a small appetite.
I had a full English breakfast last summer when we visited Hampton Court Palace. If was pretty good, except I didn’t like the bland baked beans.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I had a full English breakfast last summer when we visited Hampton Court Palace. If was pretty good, except I didn’t like the bland baked beans.
I realize that most British don't eat a full English breakfast all that often (nor do we often eat a full breakfast ourselves here in the US). But I really do like "rashers" (basically pork just cut somewhat differently from what I can tell) and even black pudding. But I'm with ya on the beans thing.
https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrisp...-british-bacon

Oh well.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that you frequented McDonalds. I was just noting that I don't frequent it EITHER.

So I really didn't have any way to compare it to a stateside experience when I was in Germany and we stopped there.

My favorite sandwich shop here isn't a chain at all.
https://www.eatlolas.com/

But honestly, these are too big. I generally either split one with my husband or eat half later.

When I was a teenager I worked at Burger King and I loved their fish sandwiches, though I haven't eaten at BK in decades.

Here in the south we don't call a fish sandwich a burger though. But we don't call submarine sandwiches hoagies either!
On the rare occasion that I need to pick up something to eat, I will get a fish sandwich at a fast food joint. I don't mind a rare stop at Captain D's.

The good thing with a hoagie was that you can get small sandwiches, usually 6 inch and sometimes 4 inch.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
On the rare occasion that I need to pick up something to eat, I will get a fish sandwich at a fast food joint. I don't mind a rare stop at Captain D's.

The good thing with a hoagie was that you can get small sandwiches, usually 6 inch and sometimes 4 inch.
My dad loved Captain D's!

When I was a kid, we used to eat fish and chips in Virginia at some place that had a British sort of theme. I can't remember the name and couldn't find it the last time we were there so maybe it's out of business. It was a fast food sort of place. It was DELICIOUS and one of the few times I've found a fish and chips place as good as the places I had them in the UK.

And this was even before I went to the UK. I do love me some good fish and chips.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:46 PM

391 posts, read 196,286 times
Quote:
I guess they're both crying all the way to the bank.

Same with Target in my case. I'm offended that my granddaughters may have to share a bathroom with someone with a penis. I don't see any sign of them going out of business so I'm pretty sure my being offended means nothing to them.
I'm rarely in Target either, but I thought in response to protest they had installed more single use bathrooms?
Lots of places these days (particularly restaurants) have mixed gender single use stalls and communal*hand wash etc..

Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
My dad loved Captain D's!

When I was a kid, we used to eat fish and chips in Virginia at some place that had a British sort of theme. I can't remember the name and couldn't find it the last time we were there so maybe it's out of business. It was a fast food sort of place. It was DELICIOUS and one of the few times I've found a fish and chips place as good as the places I had them in the UK.

And this was even before I went to the UK. I do love me some good fish and chips.
I think you're remembering Arthur Treacher's fish and chips. They had fish and chips and the side was hush puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom