Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Let's just hope there is not another World War, the UK could find it's self on 'the other side' to a combined Europe.
It wouldn't be the first time that the USA fought a war against countries in Europe. Or that Canada and Australia have, either.

There won't be a physical war. If there is a "war", it will be a war of tariffs. But there are plenty of countries outside of the EU for Great Britain to trade with.

Not to mention, the EU isn't all that solid. It is barely holding together economically. I can't see a united effort at war when the EU hasn't been physically invaded ( by warriors, not economic refugees )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
I have seen different scenarios of conceivable futures.

A new version of a Russian empire? Belarus was mentioned. Perhaps Putin can entice a few countries to join with offers of resources, such as natural gas.

For example, perhaps Putin could offer Orban a better deal than the EU.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have seen different scenarios of conceivable futures.

A new version of a Russian empire? Belarus was mentioned. Perhaps Putin can entice a few countries to join with offers of resources, such as natural gas.

For example, perhaps Putin could offer Orban a better deal than the EU.

Well one fallacy from the provided scenario is that you can never have a bloc the equal of another bloc it is dependent on for energy.

Flip the switch and the the little egotistical bloc that thought it could, is back in the cold and the dark.

Much of the EU is too dependent on Russian natural gas, they've been warned many times, but, hey they know what they're doing right. As the saying goes hubris precedes nemesis.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
My favourite German word is Schadenfreude - to take pleasure from someone else's misfortune.
I was thinking about this last night as the EU budget meeting ended in stalemate.
The EU is struggling to set a budget for the next 7 years because of the massive 12% hole in funding caused by the UK's Brexit.
I wondered how Germany and France who'd delighted in sending Cameron away with crumbs all those years ago will be breaking the news to their taxpayers that they'd be coughing up a lot more.
And then there's poor old hapless Leo Varadkar the Irish PM.
Allowing himself to be used by the EU as a negotiating pawn and enjoying his time strutting across the international stage in Brussels he might have been expecting a few favours.
But Ireland faces a hefty increase in contributions and cuts in funding to its farmers and infrastructure projects.
And this week Little Leo tendered his resignation as PM after being whupped into third place in a general election behind the IRA-controlled Sinn Fein with polls showing only 1% of voters cared about how he'd performed on Brexit.
Oh dear.How sad.Never mind.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:23 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Congrats on y’all taking back your country
Your closest ally is in your corner. The UK is too great of a country to accept being overrun with foreigners who don’t have any intentions of living as British people.

Hopefully a way is found to encourage Scotland to accept the new reality and reaffirm their commitment to remaining in the UK.
Too late with stopping the U.K. being overrun with foreigners who have no intention of integrating.
That ship has sailed I think.
I wouldn’t like to see Scotland secede either, to me they are British, like the Welsh and Northern Irish, they just have different accents.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Too late with stopping the U.K. being overrun with foreigners who have no intention of integrating.
That ship has sailed I think.
I wouldn’t like to see Scotland secede either, to me they are British, like the Welsh and Northern Irish, they just have different accents.

Actually rather than being overrun with foreigners who have no intention of intergrating most recent immigrants to the UK ( I'm talking the last 10 years or so ) who generally come from Eastern Europe have intergrated very well.
They're opening businesses,being promoted to senior jobs in industry, going to university,their kids are in school, they're becoming part of the community.
The vast majroity of immnigrants come to Blighty to better themselvs and they add immensely to the sum total of our country.
It's the others we're trying to stop coming in ...

Old 02-22-2020, 02:04 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Actually rather than being overrun with foreigners who have no intention of intergrating most recent immigrants to the UK ( I'm talking the last 10 years or so ) who generally come from Eastern Europe have intergrated very well.
They're opening businesses,being promoted to senior jobs in industry, going to university,their kids are in school, they're becoming part of the community.
The vast majroity of immnigrants come to Blighty to better themselvs and they add immensely to the sum total of our country.
It's the others we're trying to stop coming in ...
Please tell me you aren't talking about the immigrants from outside the EU. The ones we have always had the ability to stop (actually we've always had the ability to deport EU migrants too, but lets ignore that for one moment).

Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Please tell me you aren't talking about the immigrants from outside the EU. The ones we have always had the ability to stop (actually we've always had the ability to deport EU migrants too, but lets ignore that for one moment).
No, it's the unskilled migrants from the poorest areas of Eastern Europe who don't speak very good English I'm talking about.
But then you know that.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:10 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
No, it's the unskilled migrants from the poorest areas of Eastern Europe who don't speak very good English I'm talking about.
But then you know that.
I didn't know that, considering you said "recent immigrants generally from Eastern Europe". We could have deported them before under law anyway.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I didn't know that, considering you said "recent immigrants generally from Eastern Europe". We could have deported them before under law anyway.

This is the moment where the barman has given me a knowing look.
I'm going to edge away slowly from the wild-eyed obsessive at the end of the counter.
Cut and run.
Haul ass.
It's a hopeless cause.
I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom