Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
.......One of the biggest group of people that moved to UK lately ( putting pressure on their social security network ( or so it's perceived) ARE EU MEMBERS; namely - Eastern Europeans.

Who would be undocumented aliens if the EU were not forcing Britain to take them.

Hey, if I lived in some poverty stricken hopeless backwater and could move to Britain with no restrictions what-so-ever and even financial aid, I'd have moved to Britain before now. It's not difficult to understand why the Eastern Europeans are arriving in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Isn't it a little arrogant to claim you know the motivation of voting "Leave" from 17.5M people?

Hell I've got about 10 people I know voted leave, their motivations are all entirely different.

I didn't vote, support Brexit and support open borders, how's that for you, a one-two punch!

I just googled it, scroll down to page 4, figure 1:

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/upl...ting-Leave.pdf

Immigration was the leading factor, yet not the only one but that's what I said...

Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Who would be undocumented aliens if the EU were not forcing Britain to take them.

Hey, if I lived in some poverty stricken hopeless backwater and could move to Britain with no restrictions what-so-ever and even financial aid, I'd have moved to Britain before now. It's not difficult to understand why the Eastern Europeans are arriving in droves.

Of course...or maybe not, just make sure if you immigrate:

1 - you have the money to do so
2 - you are stupid enough to think rents are cheap in London
3 - you can survive the drastic change in climate to North Europe
4 - you have masochistic desire to deal with embassies, consulates and what not since according to EU bureaucracy you cannot just move to a different EU country and live there as if you are citizen of it, only citizens can live indefinitely in their own EU countries.

btw friendly advice; avoid paying attention to Erasure, she only sees the world in the context of US-Russia politics, all other countries be it UK, EU or China do everything in attempt to conspire against Russia (with help from America...).

Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

Immigration was the leading factor, yet not the only one but that's what I said...

I'll see your immigration poll and raise you with one on sovereignty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...vour_of_Brexit

Old 02-06-2020, 11:51 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Agree.
( Unless of course they'd have tonnes of money.
like those Russians residing in wealthy suburbs of London, as Brave New World once mentioned. .
Which is one of the major sources of Russian corruption BTW.)

Quote:
No arguments here, but with over million of them moving in, it sure added to the part of "erosion of national identity" to which I believe all Europeans are entitled to - both "Eastern" and "Western" nations. ( And that includes Great Britain.) However American concept "labor market dictates it all" works AGAINST the national identity.

And Eastern European labor offered in case of EU was indeed cheaper than ( in this case) the British one.

Last edited by erasure; 02-06-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 12:34 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Of course...or maybe not, just make sure if you immigrate:

1 - you have the money to do so
2 - you are stupid enough to think rents are cheap in London
3 - you can survive the drastic change in climate to North Europe
4 - you have masochistic desire to deal with embassies, consulates and what not since according to EU bureaucracy you cannot just move to a different EU country and live there as if you are citizen of it, only citizens can live indefinitely in their own EU countries.

btw friendly advice; avoid paying attention to Erasure, she only sees the world in the context of US-Russia politics, all other countries be it UK, EU or China do everything in attempt to conspire against Russia (with help from America...).

*sigh*
Euro, I understand you are trying to stay relevant attempting to turn every thread you jump in to be "something about Bulgaria." But obviously whatever you state here is irrelevant ( yet again,) since for example "drastic change in climate to North Europe" has nothing to do with tonnes of Balts and Poles moving to UK.
THEIR climate is not all that different.
So please, try to sound more intelligent next time ( and this includes giving your *friendly advises* to anyone.)

Old 02-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
*sigh*
Euro, I understand you are trying to stay relevant attempting to turn every thread you jump in to be "something about Bulgaria." But obviously whatever you state here is irrelevant ( yet again,) since for example "drastic change in climate to North Europe" has nothing to do with tonnes of Balts and Poles moving to UK.
THEIR climate is not all that different.
So please, try to sound more intelligent next time ( and this includes giving your *friendly advises* to anyone.)

I am not trying to "state relevant" , the only thread I've made about Bulgaria was the one with Bulgaria in the title where russian users never stopped posting about Novosibirsk, Krasnodar and other russian cities...

Anyway, and no: I didn't like it when Farage ran his Brexit campaign on the slogan that 29 million Romanians and Bulgarians will come soon so the UK should leave. Not a single word about Russia was mentioned back then and Russia has absolutely no dealing with it....except the fact that both America and Russia want Europe divided but the same can be said about Mexico, Uganda and every other country.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'll see your immigration poll and raise you with one on sovereignty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...vour_of_Brexit

OK not saying you're lying or anything but this is a free encyclopedia vs Academic source, in any case even if it was about "sovereignty" it's hilarious and still immigration had played a major role.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:11 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
OK not saying you're lying or anything but this is a free encyclopedia vs Academic source, in any case even if it was about "sovereignty" it's hilarious and still immigration had played a major role.
See my earlier post where I wrote that there were lots of reasons why people voted Brexit including immigration.
But my own personal view is that the immigration issue was part of a much bigger beef over sovereignty and the ability to control our own borders.
The ******** Polls mentioned in the Wiki article were a fairly regular and generally accurate series of polls carried out by Lord ******** throughout the referendum and election campaigns.
And I have absolutely no idea why the name A.S.H.C.R.O.F.T. is bring censored by BS.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:20 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:

Actually you'll see that out of 4 selection criteria immigration only came first in 40%. 60% of leavers primary motivation of only four options was not immigration. With a less restricted set of options Immigration as the primary reason may easily switch between either sovereignty or EU payments, or something else entirely not given as an option.

Since there were only 4 options to choose just by random chance 25% would select immigration as the primary reason to leave, So Immigration was only 15% above background too.

One thing that's interesting is remainers chose immigration as the primary reason leavers voted leave as a majority ~55%, which might explain more why people think immigration was the issue, not that it was the issue.

I think that survey is pretty busted to be honest (I do data science in a professional capacity) it's too narrowly scripted to derive real intent, and there are better mechanisms than ranking the options with such a narrow group of options, like select all that apply, which turns out more organic rankings, as there is the hidden option of no selections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom