Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 AM

703 posts, read 446,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Your analogy has nothing to do with the issue at hand. It is all about the guide lines he created that chose to break but we all know that. Obviously nothing more to be said to you as you applaud the arrogance on display and blinded to personal ideology. As no one else appears to have more to add on this thread, I'm out.
Sometimes it's better to admit you/he are wrong in both decision made and response than to continue to defend something frankly indefensible .

Hopefully the arrogance clearly displayed and the lame attempts of the ideologically biased will resonate to the British public.
Probably not enough in itself, but the sad state of the nation with little to point towards improvement will assist in the removal of the present shower holding the reigns.

I'll leave the mirror gazing to those of more of a narcissism nature than myself. Know anybody that fits that description? Right first time.

I've had my say, hence will not be responding to yourself or that other bloke apparently experiencing difficulty expressing the point they are attempting to make.

I guess it comes around to attempting to defend the indefensible.

I can't remember who said 'the Tories have an unshakeable belief in their own worth' but it sums things up pretty well. As I've said before they are brilliant at talking the talk, presenting a digestible front to the public and of course the backing of vested interest.
Walking the walk is where they fall apart. They just can't live up to the bull****.
Look at the pandemic handling now. They delayed the start of the lockdown - a scandalous error of judgment which must have cost many lives. Do we hear any heartfelt talk of regret? No.
And why? Because they didn't think people would abide by the rules over a sustained period. Got that wrong didn't they!
Did they learn anything from other earlier peaking European countries? No, because our government knows better. Any guilt expressed about our sky high death rate? No, 'this isn't the time to compare countries.'
They have displayed and continue to display trade mark arrogance with the EU over Brexit, acting like a bunch of squabbling school kids whilst constantly branding the EU for lack of progress. The EU incidentally has shown patience and dignity throughout.
Of one thing I am certain - whatever this government fouls up it can always rely on blinkered support from this forum.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:44 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Oh dear. Some like Cummings come to think of it, just can't own up to mistakes made. Britain through inept policy by government has become a country to feel the up most sympathy for. What a sorry state it finds itself.

Actually wrong again. Right wing press , usually fully toeing the line of Conservative government have come out against the latest shenanigan's. I accept it must be hard to accept that the blame in this instance cannot be laid at the feet at ideology. Sometimes doing wrong, well simply remains wrong.
The welfare of the nation must come first.

Being patriotic is speaking out against stupidity. Not a case of 'My Country Right or Wrong'. Nothing patriotic in not demanding public health shouldn't be paramount. Or that the nation is becoming a global joke. I mean it is not even that the government is on top of the crisis.

Armed aggressor? The issue is startling clear. People who are in a position of influence, be that either manipulating public opinion (Cummings) or nation (Boris) require to be able to hold the trust of people.
By breaking own rules/guidelines, instead of usual Tory arrogance should at least humble oneself, and admit they got it wrong. But of course in all fairness, such an admission would require the likelihood of resignation.
yes it shouldnt come down to political parties at all its to do with integrity and fairness.. Im a Tory and still think Cummings should have been sacked . Boris should be ashamed of himself over this..

Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I can't remember who said 'the Tories have an unshakeable belief in their own worth' but it sums things up pretty well. As I've said before they are brilliant at talking the talk, presenting a digestible front to the public and of course the backing of vested interest.
Walking the walk is where they fall apart. They just can't live up to the bull****.
Look at the pandemic handling now. They delayed the start of the lockdown - a scandalous error of judgment which must have cost many lives. Do we hear any heartfelt talk of regret? No.
And why? Because they didn't think people would abide by the rules over a sustained period. Got that wrong didn't they!
Did they learn anything from other earlier peaking European countries? No, because our government knows better. Any guilt expressed about our sky high death rate? No, 'this isn't the time to compare countries.'
They have displayed and continue to display trade mark arrogance with the EU over Brexit, acting like a bunch of squabbling school kids whilst constantly branding the EU for lack of progress. The EU incidentally has shown patience and dignity throughout.
Of one thing I am certain - whatever this government fouls up it can always rely on blinkered support from this forum.

If the Tories are as you say they are why have they been in power for a decade,mostly of austerity,yet still command an 80-seat majority in Parliament with Labour disappearing into the distance ?

Take your time.You've got another four and a half years to come up with the answer

Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
You tories love to look at the surface of issues because you don't often like the underlying detail - hence your love of statisics which we know are never accurate and can therefore be spun to suit.

Why do you think there is an 80 seat majority? A sudden swing to right wing ideology? I think not.
Brexit and a loss of faith in Corbyn are the reasons. Try and spin that as much as you like but they are the reasons. If you believe that swing will be repeated in four years you're in cloud cuckoo land.

What part of the Tories won an overwhelming majority at the last election statistic do you believe is inaccurate ?

Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM

703 posts, read 446,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
What part of the Tories won an overwhelming majority at the last election statistic do you believe is inaccurate ?

The answer is in my post that you quoted. How about answering it rather than evading it by asking another pointless question. This forum is becoming increasingly irrelevant and the arrogance tedious.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Your analogy has nothing to do with the issue at hand. It is all about the guide lines he created that chose to break but we all know that. Obviously nothing more to be said to you as you applaud the arrogance on display and blinded to personal ideology. As no one else appears to have more to add on this thread, I'm out.
Sometimes it's better to admit you/he are wrong in both decision made and response than to continue to defend something frankly indefensible .

Hopefully the arrogance clearly displayed and the lame attempts of the ideologically biased will resonate to the British public.
Probably not enough in itself, but the sad state of the nation with little to point towards improvement will assist in the removal of the present shower holding the reigns.

I'll leave the mirror gazing to those of more of a narcissism nature than myself. Know anybody that fits that description? Right first time.

I've had my say, hence will not be responding to yourself or that other bloke apparently experiencing difficulty expressing the point they are attempting to make.

I guess it comes around to attempting to defend the indefensible.
Personal ideology?

You know I'm an anarcho-capitalist don't you?

I just won't hold someone to a standard I won't be prepared to meet, and I abhor hypocrisy, oppression and intolerance.

My analogy has everything to do with the subject at hand, you're expecting Cummings 4 year old son to stay with two parents infected with Covid while they go through the process of recovery (and may leave them incapacitated or dead in that process). So the analogy is you want that 4 year old to stay in a burning house, while the fire brigade put out the fire. You're just so focused on Cummings you're ignoring a child that is at risk because in your opinion he violated lockdown procedures.

However Cummings did not violate the guidelines, there was an exception for kids at risk, what do you call a kid whose parents both have Covid? Not at risk? If so then he did nothing wrong anyway, because there's no risk of infection, when they traveled. If the kid is at risk, because of the effects of Covid on both parents, and the virus, then the exception applies. Jeez even a NHS medical advisor stated that the exception applied.

That's ok though, don't let facts stand in the way of ideology, I figure you raised it because you're projecting trying to defend an indefensible position.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Personal ideology?

I just won't hold someone to a standard I won't be prepared to meet, and I abhor hypocrisy, oppression and intolerance.

My analogy has everything to do with the subject at hand, you're expecting Cummings 4 year old son to stay with two parents infected with Covid while they go through the process of recovery (and may leave them incapacitated or dead in that process). So the analogy is you want that 4 year old to stay in a burning house, while the fire brigade put out the fire. You're just so focused on Cummings you're ignoring a child that is at risk because in your opinion he violated lockdown procedures.

However Cummings did not violate the guidelines, there was an exception for kids at risk, what do you call a kid whose parents both have Covid? Not at risk? If so then he did nothing wrong anyway, because there's no risk of infection, when they traveled. If the kid is at risk, because of the effects of Covid on both parents, and the virus, then the exception applies. Jeez even a NHS medical advisor stated that the exception applied.

That's ok though, don't let facts stand in the way of ideology, I figure you raised it because you're projecting trying to defend an indefensible position.
he used the loophole for children at risk from sexual and physical abuse..

Old 06-05-2020, 11:33 AM

434 posts, read 247,991 times
Quote:
Personal ideology?

Except there was no risk to the kid. Cummings has relatives round the corner in London he could have lined up - he didnt even attempt his. NHS guidance is to ring your GP who will arrange emergency childcare. If the GP is not available ring 111 and they will arrange it.

Government guidance has now been changed to so that relatives are nolonger acceptable child care.

Your also conveniently missed out the jolly to Bernards castle 'cause there isn't any excuse to that other then it was his wife's birthday and he fancied a day out.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Except there was no risk to the kid. Cummings has relatives round the corner in London he could have lined up - he didnt even attempt his. NHS guidance is to ring your GP who will arrange emergency childcare. If the GP is not available ring 111 and they will arrange it.

Government guidance has now been changed to so that relatives are nolonger acceptable child care.

Your also conveniently missed out the jolly to Bernards castle 'cause there isn't any excuse to that other then it was his wife's birthday and he fancied a day out.
I never missed that, I've said it was I'll advised, but, taking is son to be taken care of by his parents? Nope I'll never buy that's a violation, even if it is, I'd never expect ANYONE to abide by it. I mean how many idiots would sit and die in their houses if the government enacted an emergency law to demand it, also banning home delivery? Only the folks who deserve it.

Which family was "round the corner"? His sister took care of his son in Durham, his wife's parents live in Chillingham Castle (not round the corner). Was it the Uncle who died on April 5th?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I never missed that, I've said it was I'll advised, but, taking is son to be taken care of by his parents? Nope I'll never buy that's a violation, even if it is, I'd never expect ANYONE to abide by it. I mean how many idiots would sit and die in their houses if the government enacted an emergency law to demand it, also banning home delivery? Only the folks who deserve it.

Which family was "round the corner"? His sister took care of his son in Durham, his wife's parents live in Chillingham Castle (not round the corner). Was it the Uncle who died on April 5th?
actually it would have been a violation to take the son to his parents as older people are more at risk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.