Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 AM

7 posts, read 78,675 times

Advertisements

I am from Australia, and have been unfortunate enough to end up in this apathetic city for a short period. I will be leaving soon, and I would like to inform and warn anyone who is considering visiting here or moving here on any basis for any length of time.

While the city centre is of a generally acceptable appearance, the real Liverpool is never far away, only a few kilometres from the city centre things start to deteriorate dramatically in urban areas and but for a few areas in south Liverpool, they really do not improve.

The local government has thrown some effort at patching up the city, but the city only, and it’s mainly cosmetic, and it’s only because of this 2008 European capital city of culture business, which no scouser could care less about.

As for this myth about scousers being so friendly and so on, well I just can’t fathom where that idea ever came from.

Liverpool is not a fit place to live and city is nothing more than a derelict, dirty run down hole.

It is bursting at the seams with people who live on benefits, the city is awash with rubbish and litter, filthy streets are everywhere and crime is not just common place but entirely normal.

There are unemployed uncontrollable louts everywhere you go, in every part of the city, who do nothing every day of the year but wander around the streets in their tracksuits smoking, drinking, stealing and generally being a nuisance and pest to society.

The people litter and rubbish every area of the city and have absolutely no respect for anyone but themselves and have no conscience. Throwing litter and rubbish from moving cars, taxis and public transport is commonplace as is littering the streets and public areas despite there being bins nearby.

The streets, parks and open places are decimated by the people who can’t be bothered to place rubbish in a bin and so are bedraggled by rubbish and litter.

Employment wise, there are few decent opportunities for professionals as companies don’t want to set up operations in Liverpool. Adding to that, the wages are ordinary and you will earn much more doing the same job down the road in Manchester.

Finding decent housing is a trial and is difficult to come across, as is even finding an area where you feel safe enough to live day to day and have your belongings stored.

There is a prevailing underlying threat of violence everywhere and to be perfectly frank, the people of this city are mostly unpleasant and deserve nothing more than to remain in this vile society they have made for themselves.

Last edited by thebigbear; 05-09-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,222 times
I'm not surprised considering yob culture prevails in many parts of England. There are only a few exceptions in more exlusive areas. You get local chavs ruining things for others even in affluent market towns in the Cotswolds such as Tetbury although it is much better than the old industrialised towns and cities of the north.

Liverpool has a bad reputation. I was under the impression it has improved in recent years with many new international restaurants and a cool nightlife. Perhaps it is just another media hype. England is certainly crime-ridden. I'm always careful about unprovoked violence when I'm in cities.

I hope the new mayor of London Boris Johnson can bring about some positive changes in London with his tough attitude towards youth crime. I'm afraid it might be too late. It seems like you can only find some peace in the English countryside and in the larger cities only in a few expensive neighbourhoods which ordinary people obviously cannot afford to live in. In many ways the social structure in England reminds me of non-European countries with its gap between have and have-nots. As many young working class lads feel they have been born into a class and only have a few options in life they do their best to feel proud with what they have and who they are. From that we get reverse snobbery and political correctness which permeates England these days. How unfortunate.

Last edited by internat; 05-09-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,351 times
Utter claptrap...I think maybe ThebigBEAR belly gives the game away with his mention of Manchester...A Utd supporter are you belly???

[mod] Leave out the personal attacks[/mods]

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-09-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbear View Post
I am from Australia, and have been unfortunate enough to end up in this apathetic city for a short period. I will be leaving soon, and I would like to inform and warn anyone who is considering visiting here or moving here on any basis for any length of time.

While the city centre is of a generally acceptable appearance, the real Liverpool is never far away, only a few kilometres from the city centre things start to deteriorate dramatically in urban areas and but for a few areas in south Liverpool, they really do not improve.

The local government has thrown some effort at patching up the city, but the city only, and it’s mainly cosmetic, and it’s only because of this 2008 European capital city of culture business, which no scouser could care less about.

As for this myth about scousers being so friendly and so on, well I just can’t fathom where that idea ever came from.

Liverpool is not a fit place to live and city is nothing more than a derelict, dirty run down hole.

It is bursting at the seams with people who live on benefits, the city is awash with rubbish and litter, filthy streets are everywhere and crime is not just common place but entirely normal.

There are unemployed uncontrollable louts everywhere you go, in every part of the city, who do nothing every day of the year but wander around the streets in their tracksuits smoking, drinking, stealing and generally being a nuisance and pest to society.

The people litter and rubbish every area of the city and have absolutely no respect for anyone but themselves and have no conscience. Throwing litter and rubbish from moving cars, taxis and public transport is commonplace as is littering the streets and public areas despite there being bins nearby.

The streets, parks and open places are decimated by the people who can’t be bothered to place rubbish in a bin and so are bedraggled by rubbish and litter.

Employment wise, there are few decent opportunities for professionals as companies don’t want to set up operations in Liverpool. Adding to that, the wages are ordinary and you will earn much more doing the same job down the road in Manchester.

Finding decent housing is a trial and is difficult to come across, as is even finding an area where you feel safe enough to live day to day and have your belongings stored.

There is a prevailing underlying threat of violence everywhere and to be perfectly frank, the people of this city are mostly unpleasant and deserve nothing more than to remain in this vile society they have made for themselves.
Funny that, it comes very close in describing london as a whole. Scousers being supposed friendly?? I think its more on the terms of "universal"

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Time for a little balance methinks...I could have written this myself..

Urban Dictionary: liverpool

Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM

no not at all, i am not a man utd fan.

what has football got to do with anything i wrote in any case?

say whatever you like obviously, but i know how things are in liverpool which is why i posted this.

agree there would be parts of england in the countryside and soon that must be a pleasant place to live as internat says.

how on earth did this country end up with cities like liverpool, which is in such an awful state. it honestly is in no better condition than many areas of eastern europe that i have travelled to numerous times.

im told other cities are on par with this place or perhaps worse.

a sad sad indictment on those who have governed this country and who continue to do so.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 AM

You don`t say which beacon of the civilised world you usually spend your time residing in. I`d like to know. Maybe we could all take heart in the knowledge that perfection does indeed exist, and maybe learn from it...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 AM

as for you lincolnshire, ive looked at the urban dictionary link you added.

i have been to all the cultural museums, the maritime museums, read about and been to the heritage buildings, been to the football grounds and so on and so on and all the rest of the historic sites around town

liverpool clearly once was an important thriving city, but it no longer is and those days are a long way gone

Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 AM

i am from melbourne

Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM

Let`s try again...

Interesting [ and I must admit surprising ] views of Melbourne deprivation.

Suburban scars: Australian cities and socio-economic deprivation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom