Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 03:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is better for the country if he lets William take it.
I agree with that. Pass Charles over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 03:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Meghan being preggers is a valid (and the only good) reason for her not to attend the Duke's Funeral thus less gibberish about her and Harry.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Prince Phillip was a bad father to Charles. He thought Charles wasn't masculine enough so he sent him to that awful Gordonstoun school to toughen him up. Never taking into account that Charles wasn't like that. Charles was the type who became an artist and organic gardener, not a tough guy. He had a miserable time of it at that school.

Then Charles was forced to marry Diana and he did as he was told. For doing "the right thing" he ended up being portrayed as the bad guy. It wasn't his fault. I can remember when he wanted to stay and hang out with his kids and he liked giving them their baths and generally taking care of them. And I remember the "firm" told him he could not do that--he needed to carry on with his duties. So that made it look like he didn't care.

I think Charles is very misunderstood. He's a good person who was made to look bad because he did as he was told. He also stayed with Camilla all these years because she is his true love. If only he had been allowed to marry her when he wanted to.

I, too, don't think the queen will last much longer. Whether she still cared about Phillip (after all his mistresses and whoever was his "woman friend" in his final years) I don't know, but it still comes as a terrible loss on top of what Harry and Meghan have done. You can only take so much.

Meghan will not attend the funeral because she is pregnant, but Harry will go. I wonder if he'll stay around and maybe talk with his family or will he just vanish again.
Some good points here. Maybe Charles was a bit of a flousey, toughening him up for the onslaught of Royal life and press intrution may have been a bit of tough love. Didn't work though, he told Diana he wasn't going to be the first prince without a mistress - charming! Poor old Prince Charles being pressured to marry Diana at 33 years old when she was a 19 year old virgin. I feel sorry for him - not!

This was wrong of the Duke and Queen though, different times I guess.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:42 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Meghan being preggers is a valid (and the only good) reason for her not to attend the Duke's Funeral thus less gibberish about her and Harry.
She is not due until July, so she is perfectly fine to travel...especially by private plane.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Some good points here. Maybe Charles was a bit of a flousey, toughening him up for the onslaught of Royal life and press intrution may have been a bit of tough love. Didn't work though, he told Diana he wasn't going to be the first prince without a mistress - charming! Poor old Prince Charles being pressured to marry Diana at 33 years old when she was a 19 year old virgin. I feel sorry for him - not!

This was wrong of the Duke and Queen though, different times I guess.
Mistakes were made, but the royals are all a product of their upbringing, the same as we are. My parents made mistakes, and so did Charles’. Hindsight is 20/20. He is the last royal child who was raised as an anachronism. It’s not his fault. In return, he gets to be the King of England.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:56 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Charles also has been ahead of his time regarding organic farming, architecture, and music. He is an accomplished watercolorist. I don’t agree with many of his other viewpoints, but like most of us, he is a complex human being with negatives and positives.
I stopped talking about this subject trying to stay on topic but clearly there is no stoping it. This is exactly why I want Charles passed over. He is an idiot to support all this stuff and as king he won't be able to. I think his mom has lived so long because she thinks he is an idiot and doesn't want him to have the crown.

But I, and many others in England, would be prefer to get rid of the Monarchy rather than let Charles have it... so it would be better for the "firm" and the English people who want the firm to give it to William.

I really hated Phillip after Diana died but over the last 20 years I have learned more about his life and now I have changed my mind. Also unlike Prince Albert he truly stood back and let his wife be the queen - takes a real man to do that. Unlike Albert who tried to rule through and around Victoria.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:49 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:

But I, and many others in England, would be prefer to get rid of the Monarchy rather than let Charles have it... so it would be better for the "firm" and the English people who want the firm to give it to William.

I really hated Phillip after Diana died but over the last 20 years I have learned more about his life and now I have changed my mind.
Unfortunately for you, and your alleged many others who want to get rid of the Monarchy, you don’t get a say in who succeeds to the throne when the Queen eventually dies, it’s called the line of succession, and Charles is next in line.
I’m ambivalent about the Monarchy, but I could care less if you think that it would be “better for the firm” if William leapfrogged Charles, as nice a guy as William seems, it’s not his turn yet.
You say that you hated Philip after Diana died, why?, were you privy to the Royal Family’s discussions about Diana in Buckingham Palace, or Kensington Palace?
Probably not, you got your insight from the media, as we all did, and some pseudo journalist no doubt said something along the lines of “Philip dislikes Diana”, and you thought, ‘how can a nasty old man say that about our nice Princess?’

Old 04-09-2021, 06:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
I stopped talking about this subject trying to stay on topic but clearly there is no stoping it. This is exactly why I want Charles passed over. He is an idiot to support all this stuff and as king he won't be able to. I think his mom has lived so long because she thinks he is an idiot and doesn't want him to have the crown.

I really hated Phillip after Diana died but over the last 20 years I have learned more about his life and now I have changed my mind. Also unlike Prince Albert he truly stood back and let his wife be the queen - takes a real man to do that. Unlike Albert who tried to rule through and around Victoria.
He is NOT an idiot to support these things--organic gardening, architecture, painting.

It's due to Prince Charles that some of England's most beautiful architecture even exists today. He has helped to preserve beautiful buildings that greedy developers wanted to tear down. When people in a town didn't want to lose a building they loved, they could always call upon Prince Charles and if he could, he would step in and do whatever he could to save the building. That matters and he can still do it as king.

Organic gardening is important and he can still support it as king. I am always impressed when I visit the UK and there's so much organic food and food in general is so much better than the chemically infused junk we get over here in the US.

And supporting the arts is important. He can do that as king too. It's not a popularity contest. Charles is next in line to be king and he will be a fine one. This is not Hollywood and just because William is younger and has a pretty wife shouldn't mean that the rightful heir should be skipped over.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Prince Phillip was a bad father to Charles. He thought Charles wasn't masculine enough so he sent him to that awful Gordonstoun school to toughen him up. Never taking into account that Charles wasn't like that. Charles was the type who became an artist and organic gardener, not a tough guy. He had a miserable time of it at that school.
Drama it may have been, but I cried watching “The Crown” episode about Charles at Gordonstoun. My own son—due to learning disabilities—has had a terrible time at school, so it really hit close to home.

Having said that, I think it is unfair to judge Philip by this. That was a completely different generation; emotions and expectations were vastly different than now. Philip himself was raised practically as an orphan, had virtually no home life, and would have had limited examples of good parenting. No doubt Philip thought that school was for the best; I myself have made mistakes with my children despite having the best of intentions.

I think a bigger problem in Charles’ life is the distance from his mother at an extremely young age.

Quote:
I think Charles is very misunderstood. He's a good person who was made to look bad because he did as he was told. He also stayed with Camilla all these years because she is his true love. If only he had been allowed to marry her when he wanted to.
What I’ve read is that Camilla was tired of waiting around for Charles, not necessarily that he was forbidden from marrying her.

Quote:
I, too, don't think the queen will last much longer. Whether she still cared about Phillip (after all his mistresses and whoever was his "woman friend" in his final years) I don't know, but it still comes as a terrible loss on top of what Harry and Meghan have done. You can only take so much.
Only one of Philip’s biographers is definitive about any affairs. Philip denied it his entire life, as did all the women he was linked to.

This is an interesting article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...p-affairs.html

Quote:
What on earth is wrong with organic gardening?

Quote:
Also unlike Prince Albert he truly stood back and let his wife be the queen - takes a real man to do that. Unlike Albert who tried to rule through and around Victoria.
I agree with this mostly, although my understanding is that Philip did make all the familial decisions.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
His contemporaries had doubts and few expected much of him and yet he proved to be an important, perhaps even a great king. I am writing of Edward VII.

With the exceptions of George VI and Edward VIII, since and including George III, the heirs have on the whole done their nation quite well. Charles will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom