Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 01:21 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Herself alone: The image of the tiny 94-year-old widow, frail, bowed, solitary in socially distanced grief, is one of the most powerfully moving of her reign. It is desperately sad. The empty places surrounding her looked as though they had been left by her father, who died too young; her mother, her sister – and, now, her husband.

The Queen did look very alone and vulnerable, but the symbolism went further. For those of us who have had to deal with loss in this lonely year, and all those affected, it was almost a gesture of solidarity. She did not bend the rules just because she is the sovereign. Again, a small example to those in public life who sometimes forget that we are all supposed to be in this pandemic together.

Funerals, even Covid-era ones, can be beautiful affairs, and the one designed – that seems to be an appropriate word for it – by Prince Philip was a deeply moving and poignant event: far more so, indeed, than anyone could have expected. The man himself was responsible for the order of service and its organisation, and he gave himself an excellent send-off, and the coronavirus restrictions took nothing away. What a lady... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...stay-x3ngzgt76
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 03:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
You're right. That picture of her sitting there all by herself will stay in people's heads for the rest of their lives. It's sad but it's also an example of courage and decency. I think it should be drummed into the heads of any of these people who refuse to wear a mask or social distance "because we're so tired of this" or because the mask steams up my glasses" or "I have my rights."

She has always set a fine example for the world. I know I will remember her sitting there just as clearly as I still remember her coronation, with me as a kid, sitting on the floor in front of the black and white tv. I remember the narrator saying the coronation crown was so heavy that she'd had to practice wearing it. But there she was, crowned unexpectedly and at such a young age, doing what was required of her and doing it well.

That lady has weathered many a storm and although some may still not fully appreciate her, how can anyone not appreciate and respect a sole figure seated there, dressed in black, silently and bravely mourning the loss of her husband of 73 years.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:42 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
I agree the Queen was a sad and solitary figure and it brought back memories to me of the memorial service of the wife of our former Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam. Margaret died at 92 and he was wheeled in looking absolutely devastated. They had been married just on seventy years and he only lived another couple of years without her.

When people have been true life partners they must know it is going to end sometime but it does not make it any easier. But I expect the Queen will be around for another few years. She is so resilient.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You're right. That picture of her sitting there all by herself will stay in people's heads for the rest of their lives. It's sad but it's also an example of courage and decency. I think it should be drummed into the heads of any of these people who refuse to wear a mask or social distance "because we're so tired of this" or because the mask steams up my glasses" or "I have my rights."
Sorry, but how is this an appropriate comment? It’s almost as if you don’t know about some of the extreme things that have been happening in the UK. The Queen’s Government has proclaimed these rules; she can hardly go against them, can she?

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-18-2021 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Calgirl, the Queen doesn't make laws. The elected government does.

I see our Queen is in solidarity with the whole world. She sets the highest example for all of us in solidarity with us. And that is the greatest love within her life of sacrifice. No one in the world has any greater burden and responsibility than ER. God has placed her at the head for obvious reasons.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Calgirl, the Queen doesn't make laws. The elected government does.

Yes, I know; that’s what I wrote.

Quote:
I see our Queen is in solidarity with the whole world. She sets the highest example for all of us in solidarity with us. And that is the greatest love within her life of sacrifice. No one in the world has any greater burden and responsibility than ER. God has placed her at the head for obvious reasons.
I just don’t see this as a thread where it’s necessary to get political.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, I know; that’s what I wrote.

I just don’t see this as a thread where it’s necessary to get political.
kitty61 is correct and I don't see or want politics in this discussion. All I am saying is that the Queen set an example for the world (as she always has) and that even people who rebel against lockdowns, social distancing, mask wearing, could look at her and see how a person, even in the midst of deep grief, should act.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The funeral is here, for any one who wants to watch it or missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCY4b6GGkb4

Old 04-19-2021, 04:34 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
I watched the funeral , it had his signature all over it, respectful yet not self serving. I did not appreciate the constant commentary about the brothers William and Harry mending fences

Old 04-19-2021, 07:17 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
She is a true trooper. Setting an example, as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom