Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times

Advertisements

If I'm not mistaken, I believe most, if not all, of the Founding Fathers, were of British heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe most, if not all, of the Founding Fathers, were of British heritage.
I was objecting more to the fact that Scotslass was using cultural references to support her claim that the US "was made by" the British. While I have great respect for our Founding Fathers, they would have had nothing to found without the settlers and general public, who did indeed come from a variety of cultures. Our government may be thanks to the Founding Fathers but our heritage and cultural influences, not necessarily. And to say those other cultures hasn't helped "make" our country is kind of insulting.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I was objecting more to the fact that you were using cultural references to support your claim that the US "was made by" the British. While I have great respect for our Founding Fathers, they would have had nothing to found without the settlers and general public, who did indeed come from a variety of cultures. Our government may be thanks to the Founding Fathers but our heritage and cultural influences, not necessarily. And to say those other cultures hasn't helped "make" our country is kind of insulting.
That wasn't me that said that.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
That wasn't me that said that.
Sorry, I'll change the name

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM

161 posts, read 684,926 times
Quote:
Alexander Hamilton was partly of French descent and I think John Jay was of full French descent. I'm not sure on the heritage of James Madison and a couple of the other "founding fathers," but the rest are of British descent with a mixed bag of Scottish and English. Thomas Jefferson was Irish. However, there was a slew of other nationalities here all at the same time.

This is a general response:

If you really want to be technical about who founded America, I guess it would Native Americans since they were here before anyone else.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream138 View Post

If you really want to be technical about who founded America, I guess it would Native Americans since they were here before anyone else.
We were talking about colonization (white man).

Quote:
Every line of strength in American history is a line coloured with Scottish blood. ... ”
— Woodrow Wilson
Also the declaration of independence was based off our the Scottish declaration of Arbroath.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream138 View Post
Alexander Hamilton was partly of French descent and I think John Jay was of full French descent. I'm not sure on the heritage of James Madison and a couple of the other "founding fathers," but the rest are of British descent with a mixed bag of Scottish and English. Thomas Jefferson was Irish. However, there was a slew of other nationalities here all at the same time.

This is a general response:

Thomas Jefferson was Welsh and English.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM

English became the official language, not French, not German, not Spanish.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
English became the official language, not French, not German, not Spanish.
English is the most common language in the US but the US has no official national language.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
English is the most common language in the US but the US has no official national language.
and it's the most common language because?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom