Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 10:01 AM

2,964 posts, read 1,640,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
that of course is just one persons opinion, to which they are entitled.
which wont make one blind bit of difference to Camilla becoming Queen.
Fine, whatever y'all want.

And it's certainly no worse than having a demented president yelling at everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 11:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
She's not the Queen, she's a very naughty girl.
Since when did dropping one’s panties (or pants) dictate their royal title status?
Should she be addressed as Her Not-So-Royal Lowness?

These protocols can be very confusing to us outsiders.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:47 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Fine, whatever y'all want.

And it's certainly no worse than having a demented president yelling at everybody.
Dunno…. The last handful of cretins in the White House have really set a low bar.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Dunno…. The last handful of cretins in the White House have really set a low bar.
At least it's only eight years at most.

Britain's stuck with the royals for life.

But that's their issue to decide.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Goldschmidt family were German Jewish aristocracy, with the English branch of the family Anglicised their name to Goldsmith, starting with Frank Goldsmith (1878–1967), who was Jemima's grandfather. Whilst Jemima's father Sir James Goldsmith was a very wealthy financier, so they weren't exactly traditional British aristocracy.

Sir James Goldsmith's third wife, Lady Annabel Goldsmith had the famous and ver exclusive Annabel's private members club named after her.

In 1995, Jemima Goldsmith now Khan married Muslim Imran Khan, a retired cricketer (who would later go on to serve as the 22nd Prime Minister of Pakistan from 2018 to 2022), with whom she had two sons. The couple divorced in 2004.

Jemima Khan (Goldsmith) was a close friend of Diana, Princess of Wales, who visited her in Lahore in 1996.

I don't think an older Muslim man would have been the families ideal chose of partner for Jemima, whilst Diana's relationship with Muslim Dodi Fayed also raised eyebrows, and there were rumours regarding the announcement she was set to make, and the fact that she died before this announcement could be made.
BTW Jerima Goldsmith also had Anglo Irish aristocratic background. BTW it was not unusual for British autocracy to marry people of Jewish background just like the close member of the royal family Louis Mountbatten's wife had Jewish background. Plus Princess Anne Husband is Jewish background.

European Jewish nobility largely integrated into the host countries where they lived. Othan that included giving up their Jewish religion. Yet when anti-semitism became the country policy in the countries they lived, they fled from those countries. The UK for over 400 years has been country without state sanctioned anti anti-semitism and a viable place for Jews from the European continent to move to if there was persecution.

Yet arranged marriages have been a thing practiced within aristocratic families. Of course, these days it has become rare.

Princess Diana was emotionally unstable. Not just she was in a loveless marriage, but also had heart broken by a series of men such as James Hewitt and Hasnat Khan. Yet she was very photogenic and used that for her full advantage. However, she aired her dirty laundry and some things that should have been private matter such as as discussion with a psychologist was out there for the world to know. It is tragic that Prince Harry followed in her footsteps of airing the dirty laundry.

Camilla is certainly deserving of being the Queens consult. Sure, she messed up, and had an affair when Charles was already married, yet it happened such a long time ago and it long forgiven.

Last edited by herenow1; 03-06-2023 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-06-2023, 04:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
None of my business but the US media is obsessed with the British royals so I'll have a go.

IMO Charles is an idiot and always has been. Even his father knew that. Why he has such a fragile personality is a mystery. He's had every advantage life can offer. His mishandling of his first marriage is completely in character.

His compulsive concern about his current wife is slightly ridiculous. She is not a queen, she's not royal, she's a commoner. One would think Queen Consort would be enough for the silly woman.
I think Charles is a decent person. You've got it backwards about his dad and that he knew Charles was an idiot. Charles was simply not a rough and tough guy like Philip wanted him to be. Philip was kind of mean to him because Charles didn't live up to his impossible standards. Philip sent him to that Gordonstoun school which was a rough and tough type of place in which he hoped to toughen him up. If Philip had been a better father he would have let Charles be himself and go to a different school and develop his own strengths.

When Charles was first dating Camilia he was told to wait. I think it was his uncle, Lord Mountbatten who was more or less his mentor who told him to "sow your wild oats." So Charles waited and then it was too late. Rules said he had to marry such and such and all that was left was the inppropriate marriage to Diana.

I think he did try to make it work on some level. He did try but in the back of his mind he knew he would always love Camilla. I don't think he planned on cheating but in this arranged marriage with a mentally unstable young girl, there wasn't much to hold it together. He loved his kids and that was about the only glue that kept them together. I do remember one time when Charles balked at having to go to his office and work every day because he wanted to stay with the kids and give them their baths. He was told NO in no uncertain terms. He was a good dad and a good person--not his fault that he had to work.

Diana had almost nothing in common with him as she enjoyed shopping and fashion while he liked history and gardening and painting. She was a city girl; he was more of a country guy. Diana was a good mother but she was mentally flawed and Charles and the rest had no understanding of mental illness and how to help her. The whole thing was impossible and doomed from the start. No one was to blame except maybe some of the stupid rules that control their lives. The firm needs to loosen up, as they have, but it was too late and they never seem to get it right. It's always too little too late. They need to offer more support to the second in line but they don't. It happened to Margaret, it happened to Harry. Second in line feels like a nobody compared to the older sibling. Then they rebel.

Anyway I wish Charles a world of luck because the rf has turned into a chaotic hateful mess.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think Charles is a decent person. You've got it backwards about his dad and that he knew Charles was an idiot. Charles was simply not a rough and tough guy like Philip wanted him to be. Philip was kind of mean to him because Charles didn't live up to his impossible standards. Philip sent him to that Gordonstoun school which was a rough and tough type of place in which he hoped to toughen him up. If Philip had been a better father he would have let Charles be himself and go to a different school and develop his own strengths.

When Charles was first dating Camilia he was told to wait. I think it was his uncle, Lord Mountbatten who was more or less his mentor who told him to "sow your wild oats." So Charles waited and then it was too late. Rules said he had to marry such and such and all that was left was the inppropriate marriage to Diana.

I think he did try to make it work on some level. He did try but in the back of his mind he knew he would always love Camilla. I don't think he planned on cheating but in this arranged marriage with a mentally unstable young girl, there wasn't much to hold it together. He loved his kids and that was about the only glue that kept them together. I do remember one time when Charles balked at having to go to his office and work every day because he wanted to stay with the kids and give them their baths. He was told NO in no uncertain terms. He was a good dad and a good person--not his fault that he had to work.

Diana had almost nothing in common with him as she enjoyed shopping and fashion while he liked history and gardening and painting. She was a city girl; he was more of a country guy. Diana was a good mother but she was mentally flawed and Charles and the rest had no understanding of mental illness and how to help her. The whole thing was impossible and doomed from the start. No one was to blame except maybe some of the stupid rules that control their lives. The firm needs to loosen up, as they have, but it was too late and they never seem to get it right. It's always too little too late. They need to offer more support to the second in line but they don't. It happened to Margaret, it happened to Harry. Second in line feels like a nobody compared to the older sibling. Then they rebel.

Anyway I wish Charles a world of luck because the rf has turned into a chaotic hateful mess.
You got that right.

I wish Charles well too bc I love the country, it's my heritage as well.

Hopefully he'll rise to the occasion but his history is sketchy as his schooling showed. As his marriage showed.

His current marriage seems stable but once again he's making poor decisions and thinking first and foremost of himself and what he wants rather than what's best for the country.

Hopefully he'll be a figurehead king and his self-absorption won't affect the British people too much.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:16 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
At least it's only eight years at most.

Britain's stuck with the royals for life.

But that's their issue to decide.
You voted them in we didnt..

Old 03-07-2023, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You voted them in we didnt..
Yeah you're stuck with what you've got.

For life.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:53 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,598,275 times
Quote:
Yeah you're stuck with what you've got.

For life.
the monarchy dont make laws, your dementia riddled President does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom