Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 11:47 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

There used to be another British poster here on CD and we would DM back and forth about various older UK Television programs. He was a big fan of The Two Ronnies and I loved that show too. So did my dad. Others that I caught back in the day Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and some really awful Brit sit coms. Nicholas Lyndhurst has been in some clunkers and some brilliant sitcoms. The same for the late Geoffrey Palmer. Yes Minister and the sequel were excellent political satires. I never could get into Are You Being Served. I'm a big fan of Patricia Rutledge going way back to her supporting role in To Sir, With Love. In the old days, it was hard to find British television shows in the US. Either they were on PBS or more obscure channels. In the 70s, NYC had a local channel, WOR, with a program director who loved English television. They would broadcast British television shows one a day week in the late afternoons. I would run home to watch them. This was way before PBS and Alistair Cooke.

Currently, I'm binge watching "Escape to the Country."

Pretty sure that the original Hawaii Five O was shown in the UK in the 1980s.

The US has always shown guns because we have westerns since the days of Gary Cooper and John Wayne.

I have watched way, way too many shows from Britain to name all of them and I have many favorites.

Sir Lew Grade tried to get Americans to watch British television shows during the 1960s. He had some success with The Persuaders, The Avengers, The Saint, The Prisoner, and a few others. These were made by Lew Grade's private company, not the BBC. When American Public Television stations began to import British shows, they developed a partnership with the BBC. Now, we can get a lot of more through Britbox and Acorn streaming services.

Last edited by Coney; 05-08-2023 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 11:51 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
We started watching Midsomer Murders during the pandemic.
Fun series very well done.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:46 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We started watching Midsomer Murders during the pandemic.
Fun series very well done.
strange I did too.. aye quite good series...

Old 05-08-2023, 02:59 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think the colour of the actors and or actresses is an issue but changing the story lines because they are not WOKE enough is a problem. Apparentely even Shakespeare is being re-written!! lol

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnis...g-shakespeare/

I can only imagine how WOKE idiots could ruin the greatest playwright of all time, but alarmingly they probably genuinely believe they are 'improving' it!
Changing the ethnicities of historical characters is an issue IMO. it's also a patronizing way of treating actors and actresses of colour.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Changing the ethnicities of historical characters is an issue IMO. it's also a patronizing way of treating actors and actresses of colour.
Yes perhaps you are right.

I am a white guy, my Mrs is black, my kids (well step kids to be honest, though I brought them both up from when one was a toddler, the other a baby) have darker skin than my Mrs (their biological dad was very dark skinned), I have been with them now for nearly a quarter of a century, and to be honest with you I don't really 'see' peoples skin colour anymore, I don't mind Anne Boleyn or James Bond being played by black people, or visa versa, I don't mind straight people playing gay people or gay people playing straight people, to me its not important. However personally I CANT STAND the BBC lecturing me about Britains past, I can't stand people trying to 'cancel' the past or 'cancel' anybody that has a different view. I can't stand being lectured on historical context, I can't stand being told I am privileged based on nothing more than my race, I can't stand historical people being judged by 21st Century standards, I can't stand the fact that for some reason its the British.............no actually just the English that are being used as a battering post for all the worlds ill's, I can't stand people deciding how other people (people they don't even know) must be told how they must think or act which means I can't stand people 'judging' other people without basis, or what is effectively the erosion of free speech.

Rant over!

Old 05-09-2023, 05:36 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:

I am a white guy, my Mrs is black, my kids (well step kids to be honest, though I brought them both up from when one was a toddler, the other a baby) have darker skin than my Mrs (their biological dad was very dark skinned), I have been with them now for nearly a quarter of a century, and to be honest with you I don't really 'see' peoples skin colour anymore, I don't mind Anne Boleyn or James Bond being played by black people, or visa versa, I don't mind straight people playing gay people or gay people playing straight people, to me its not important. However personally I CANT STAND the BBC lecturing me about Britains past, I can't stand people trying to 'cancel' the past or 'cancel' anybody that has a different view. I can't stand being lectured on historical context, I can't stand being told I am privileged based on nothing more than my race, I can't stand historical people being judged by 21st Century standards, I can't stand the fact that for some reason its the British.............no actually just the English that are being used as a battering post for all the worlds ill's, I can't stand people deciding how other people (people they don't even know) must be told how they must think or act which means I can't stand people 'judging' other people without basis, or what is effectively the erosion of free speech.

Rant over!
get off the fence and tell us what you really think

Old 05-09-2023, 10:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

Rant over!
It was a bloody good rant and I agree with every word of it!

Old 05-09-2023, 10:25 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Hey, I thought everything was our fault?

Old 05-09-2023, 07:46 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:

Rant over!
But this is what's going on everywhere. Tearing down statues of people who didntt measure up to our nuclear age standards is a form of canceling history.

Being taught critical race theory to the young at school is a form of brainwashing which is designed to make white kids feel a sense of guilt and worse yet divisive when kids these days are really colour blind when it comes to socializing with each other.

Sticking actors and actresses of color in historical white roles is like telling them "Ok you've been complaining long enough about the lack of inclusion so here we'll give you some work"

There is plenty of black history and culture to create real roles for minorities in the world of film and stage

Old 05-09-2023, 08:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:

Rant over!
When it comes to established characters, it’s best to just stick to the role. Bond has always been portrayed as a straight white male. That’s just how Ian Flemming wrote him. It’s integral to his character.

With other shows like Rings of Power, the ethnicity doesn’t bother me in the least, as they are largely portraying new characters, with a few established ones like Galadriel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom