Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 10:44 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

How high is COL in UK right now? Has it been rising for awhile, or just a recent issue due to the bottleneck created by Pandemic. Are you suffering same issues as US in regards to COL?

My YT feed keeps showing me news about high COL and people suffering. Anyone here from/in UK? I just want to get the real speel from people that are actually on the ground. Surely everywhere you go there will be lower income/poor people who feel the pinch more than most. But as Ukers or someone living there, do you see this getting out of hand?

Here are some examples of the news feeds I am getting. I dont know why I keep getting them. Maybe the YT algorithm calculates I enjoy hearing the suffering of others which is completely false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6_6qi1Q10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCStnIbKUHo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 02:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Also it looks like the nurses are going on strike because of pay. Pay disputes means workers feeling the pinch of COL. Otherwise nothing to really complain about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7uPTZwmXZc

Old 12-12-2022, 03:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Don't know what to say.
Where we are, our nurses and healthcare workers got a "Pandemic premium" of $5 per hour. Some provinces even offered a $5000 retention bonus.
And the current situation in Europe is dire, with the influx of refugees. More people freeze to death than die of heat.

Army are being trained ahead of winter strikes, minister says_6:29_Channel 4 News
Dec 4, 2022
The government minister Nadhim Zahawi has confirmed that troops are being trained to drive ambulances and fight fires - as the country braces for widespread public sector strikes in the run up to Christmas.
Mr Zahawi also hit out at unions, and stoked controversy by suggesting that workers going on strike to try and improve their pay during a cost of living crisis were playing into the hands of Vladimir Putin - an assessment described as 'ludicrous and insulting' by his political opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7dQLsmP__M

Old 12-13-2022, 01:36 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
The UK is suffering from the same market forces as the US or the EU! It's a global issue not a UK one.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:22 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The UK is suffering from the same market forces as the US or the EU! It's a global issue not a UK one.
Not quite. From what I know, the US isn't giving four star accommodation, and paying for it, to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants, nor do they have the communist principle of supplying state owned housing. No National Health to pay for, and I don't believe, a lifetime of benefits. The EU doesn't keep many migrants, they just pass them on.

All of this has a price, taken in taxes, which has no benefit whatsoever to the nation, and becomes a disincentive for any business.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Not quite. From what I know, the US isn't giving four star accommodation, and paying for it, to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants, nor do they have the communist principle of supplying state owned housing. No National Health to pay for, and I don't believe, a lifetime of benefits. The EU doesn't keep many migrants, they just pass them on.

All of this has a price, taken in taxes, which has no benefit whatsoever to the nation, and becomes a disincentive for any business.
We all know that the National Health is FAR better and cheaper than the US system!? Though I'm not too sure what that has to do with the global economy right now to be honest!!

Anyway back to the point of the thread there is this:-

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n?srnd=premium

Like I said initially, the economic situation is global and not just relevant to the UK. I don't know why the UK is being 'targeted' with these kind of threads but I'm guessing it has something to do with either a) Russian/Chinese bots b) the EU c) US rednecks or c) Remainers!

Old 12-13-2022, 06:05 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
prices always fluctuate, its probably got more to do with the time of year than anything else.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:01 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
We all know that the National Health is FAR better and cheaper than the US system!? Though I'm not too sure what that has to do with the global economy right now to be honest!!

Anyway back to the point of the thread there is this:-

Like I said initially, the economic situation is global and not just relevant to the UK. I don't know why the UK is being 'targeted' with these kind of threads but I'm guessing it has something to do with either a) Russian/Chinese bots b) the EU c) US rednecks or c) Remainers!

Yes, is there something odd going on with the subject matter of the threads on the UK forum.

Other nations may be shouting, but the screaming and crying will come for different reasons.

The NHS in failing, for starters, and needs continual propping up, which is a reflection of our nation's lack of well being.

The UK has been controlled too much, with the only considerations being related to big businesses, and to putting the workforce where needed, but this being given little thought while closing down manufacturing industries, then having a workforce where not needed, and with too little space each, to have any resilience to change.

I'm sure the rest of the world are feeling something, but judging by how well may are still funding armed forces, it can't quite be as bad as here.

There is too much to cover here, and a lecture, I'll not give. I will say though, that since there's no empire to prop up the economy, a different way of thinking is needed.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Yes, is there something odd going on with the subject matter of the threads on the UK forum.

Other nations may be shouting, but the screaming and crying will come for different reasons.

The NHS in failing, for starters, and needs continual propping up, which is a reflection of our nation's lack of well being.

The UK has been controlled too much, with the only considerations being related to big businesses, and to putting the workforce where needed, but this being given little thought while closing down manufacturing industries, then having a workforce where not needed, and with too little space each, to have any resilience to change.

I'm sure the rest of the world are feeling something, but judging by how well may are still funding armed forces, it can't quite be as bad as here.

There is too much to cover here, and a lecture, I'll not give. I will say though, that since there's no empire to prop up the economy, a different way of thinking is needed.
Britain hasn't had an Empire for 70 years or more!? As the links show the UK is NOT suffering any more than anywhere else in the first world, the NHS (though far from perfect) is not 'failing' it has had the same 'strains' placed on it at 'other' first world health services because of Covid. The UK spends the 5th highest amount on its armed forces (its a small country) so I'm not sure what you're saying there (only US, China, India & Russia (huge countries) are spending more)! - The UK has more jobs going than at any other time in its history and unemployment is low, the GLOBAL economic crisis has been driven by two things 1) Covid and 2) the war in Ukraine, the sky high energy costs have trickled down to the cost of everyday 'goods', recessions have happened before and they will happen again but they don't last forever. Britain has suffered through 'wokeism' but again its not the only first world country to do so, idiots that think we can simply suddenly 'drop' using fossil fuels and not get economically f**ked are living in cloud cuckoo land however there are plenty out there with this mindset.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:58 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
"wokeism" covers environmentalism now? That word is doing some heavy lifting in conservative circles, it seems to cover every situation and opinion now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom