U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 PM

1,974 posts, read 4,696,360 times

Advertisements

Do the Brits and Irish still have bad blood towards each other, or is it fading away with the younger generation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM

7,567 posts, read 16,627,070 times
What bad blood are you talking about ?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM

650 posts, read 1,124,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
What bad blood are you talking about ?

Anyhow...to the OP: it depends.

I think most people will say, 'Live and let live'. And the younger set in the cities want to look chic and detach themselves from 'the bad old days' of poverty and general backwardness that was Ireland before the Celtic Tiger, so if Granda is going on about "dem aul' bahstids 'em Brits" after his seventh Guinness, then they'll roll their eyes and pretend they don't know what he's on about...then go shopping for a few hours in Marks and Spencers or some other UK chain.

But if you're in the North and missing a member of your family -- your Dad or brother or granny, whomever, thanks to a British soldier and the Troubles, then yes there's blad blood of course.

We live out in the west, and there are an extraordinary number (it seems to us anyhow!) of English immigrants locally. A few of them are very arrrogant and sneering toward the rest of us (one freak phoned me last night at midnight to lecture me over something really not her business) so, when we're talking about them it's always said "whatta true class of Brit " which probably isn't quite fair, but they do fit a stereotype we have of British people who seem to think the Empire still rules the world and we, dirty colonials, aren't respectful enough...ARGH. I wish a few of them would go home again.... but my best friend , who is NOT AT ALL like that, was born in England!!

My sister moved to York and loves it. But my husband refuses to ever EVER set foot on English soil, on principle.

So it just depends on the person really. If you have any doubts about there being SOME bad blood still around, drop in on a football or rugby match when we play each other.

I mean, !

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

521 posts, read 1,359,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post

Anyhow...to the OP: it depends.

I think most people will say, 'Live and let live'. And the younger set in the cities want to look chic and detach themselves from 'the bad old days' of poverty and general backwardness that was Ireland before the Celtic Tiger, so if Granda is going on about "dem aul' bahstids 'em Brits" after his seventh Guinness, then they'll roll their eyes and pretend they don't know what he's on about...then go shopping for a few hours in Marks and Spencers or some other UK chain.

But if you're in the North and missing a member of your family -- your Dad or brother or granny, whomever, thanks to a British soldier and the Troubles, then yes there's blad blood of course.

We live out in the west, and there are an extraordinary number (it seems to us anyhow!) of English immigrants locally. A few of them are very arrrogant and sneering toward the rest of us (one freak phoned me last night at midnight to lecture me over something really not her business) so, when we're talking about them it's always said "whatta true class of Brit " which probably isn't quite fair, but they do fit a stereotype we have of British people who seem to think the Empire still rules the world and we, dirty colonials, aren't respectful enough...ARGH. I wish a few of them would go home again.... but my best friend , who is NOT AT ALL like that, was born in England!!

My sister moved to York and loves it. But my husband refuses to ever EVER set foot on English soil, on principle.

So it just depends on the person really. If you have any doubts about there being SOME bad blood still around, drop in on a football or rugby match when we play each other.

I mean, !
Of course, the only people missing loved ones are those who are the victims of British soldiers. Also, Ireland was part of the United Kingdom and therefore the Irish people were not colonials.

It would seem that the bad blood is all one way then because on this side of the Irish sea all things Irish are pretty chic at the moment and you can't watch t.v. without hearing (does that make sense?) Irish accents in every type of programme. I can honestly say that I don't know of anybody who has 'bad blood' towards the Irish.

Finally, whilst reading this please imagine that I'm writing it in a sneering and arrogant way because, obviously, I'm British. Hey ho.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM

650 posts, read 1,124,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Of course, the only people missing loved ones are those who are the victims of British soldiers.
Oh for heaven's sake YB---YOU've said that, not I. If you're going to reply to my post, great, I'm open to listen, but please don't completely twist my words that way...and I never said anything like that. Obviously British families and soldiers suffered in the Troubles too, and plenty of others were busy killing: I was speaking about one small segment of a population, and looking back at it I think it was clear.

And I know Irish history too; I said that a FEW a FEW a FEW of our English neighbours treat the natives here like 'dirty colonials', certainly not saying that we WERE such -- and honestly, those people really do come over that way, they're just like Jack Dee's British passport piece (which sorry, I find hilarious). My point in bringing them up was, that UNFORTUNATELY it gives their Irish neighbours an excuse to fall back on an ugly British stereotype which isn't fair to anyone, particularly our NICE British or English neighbours, who are numerous. Still, after your post, I'm willing to think that maybe it's not a 'British v. Irish' thing, and come to their defense next time. Maybe we're just too poor or rural or ugly or something-else-again for them. Tell you what, I'll ask them . But anyhow, in our area, I have to be honest and say I've seen a fair bit of racism coming from both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Finally, whilst reading this please imagine that I'm writing it in a sneering and arrogant way because, obviously, I'm British. Hey ho.

I refuse to imagine that actually, because most British people I know aren't like that, and I suspect you aren't either. I said A FEW were sneering and arrogant, who are HERE. And they ARE. And the ones they offend worst are our English friends, one of whom tells me she's completely embarassed by them. (She does a wonderfully funny impression however, after a few.)

I'm glad you haven't experienced bad feelings toward the Irish (for obvious reasons)...but I'm sure some of the families victimised by the IRA bombing campaign a few decades back, might feel differently toward some part of our population at least, if not the whole. Our two countries have hurt each other for years, generations, centuries: of course there's bad blood in some of us, at least sometimes, no matter how tempting it is to pretend we've all grown up and moved on. I think it's sad, but I also see around me that it's true. I don't say that to offend you! I'm only offering my own experience to the OP in answer to the original question.

I think it's more an issue in rural areas BTW, than cities. Rural areas tend to get stuck in the past longer, and change more slowly than urban areas.

On another topic, sorry about using English and British interchangeably in this post although geographically I do know the difference....but I have two friends who are English and prefer saying that, to being called British, and another friend who introduces herself as British and doesn't know "what their problem is". I just try to remember who's what, to keep them happy. What's up with that? Is it just individual preference?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 PM

521 posts, read 1,359,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
Oh for heaven's sake YB---YOU've said that, not I. If you're going to reply to my post, great, I'm open to listen, but please don't completely twist my words that way...and I never said anything like that. Obviously British families and soldiers suffered in the Troubles too, and plenty of others were busy killing: I was speaking about one small segment of a population, and looking back at it I think it was clear.

And I know Irish history too; I said that a FEW a FEW a FEW of our English neighbours treat the natives here like 'dirty colonials', certainly not saying that we WERE such -- and honestly, those people really do come over that way, they're just like Jack Dee's British passport piece (which sorry, I find hilarious). My point in bringing them up was, that UNFORTUNATELY it gives their Irish neighbours an excuse to fall back on an ugly British stereotype which isn't fair to anyone, particularly our NICE British or English neighbours, who are numerous. Still, after your post, I'm willing to think that maybe it's not a 'British v. Irish' thing, and come to their defense next time. Maybe we're just too poor or rural or ugly or something-else-again for them. Tell you what, I'll ask them . But anyhow, in our area, I have to be honest and say I've seen a fair bit of racism coming from both sides.
Fair enough Lily I don't want to fight; lets just put it down to a difference in writing styles. I didn't feel I was twisting your words because if I was making the point that people who were the victims of violence might feel there was an issue, I'd have been careful not to single out one side over the other - especially where the 'troubles' are concerned.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,214,141 times
Myself and a few guys used to go fishing in county Clare. We went there for about six years on the trot and loved it.
We stayed at the same pub fished in the same spots, and had a great time, then one night someone came into the pub and after hearing our accents started to cause trouble, the landlord threw him out and the locals apologised for him, but it was never the same after that.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 AM

9,175 posts, read 14,129,236 times
Don't worry Lily, I think most people understand you were only talking about a minority.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,973,751 times
If there is bad blood, why do so many thousands of Irish still choose to live here?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:36 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,389,095 times
I was in Dublin for a week and the people couldn't have been more friendlier. I don't know why people would think theres bad blood?

I find the Irish very friendly and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom