Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM

306 posts, read 1,162,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyo View Post
I haven't been to either, but Liverpool is european capital of culture. can't be too bad.
Only the river front has been done up. DH drives through Liverpool almost every week. Its not that nice. Some areas are down right horrific. I would go to both before you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
(something they learned from the Americans).

Please dont blame British high streets on America. Why is that the first thing that anyone does here, when they dont like it and have seen something similar in the US, is blame it on America? What has happend in the US has nothing to do with Liverpool, Manchester, London and every single high street in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,154 times
i would definatly pick liverpool,,
it is a warmer feeling to it the people are much friendlier one of the friendliest kind in the world. Manchester is living in the shadows of liverpool e.g the beatles/oasis, liverpool f.c/ manchester united f.c. it is cheaper also and it has a great night life witha more interesting history. it has a balance between modern art and historical art most of all the liverpool people are proud of who they are and where they are from. for me 100% liverpool. scousers know how to party and they remind me so much of new yorkers with their unique sense of humour which manchester doesn't posses.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,154 times
i <3 liverpool :P

Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Manchester by far. Far more vibrant culturally and to me far more interesting.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Grini View Post
Manchester is living in the shadows of liverpool e.g the beatles/oasis, liverpool f.c/ manchester united f.c. it is cheaper also and it has a great night life
You've got to be kidding me, lol. Sure, Liverpool has The Beatles but that's about it when it comes to good music and that was decades ago. Since then, Manchester has been KNOWN for it's music scene and night life and the amount of popular bands it has produced. The association of music with Manchester is far stronger than with Liverpool. The term "Madchester" didn't come from nowhere.
Madchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mind you, I'm not a football fan and my husband is a City fan but fact of the matter remains, MUFC is a WORLD famous football club. Liverpool is not. Even Americans who are not as interested in "soccer" as the rest of the world, have heard of MUFC - can't say the same for Liverpool!

Fair enough if you prefer living in Liverpool but some of your statements simply aren't true. I do find it interesting though that in your entire paragraph, you only used a capital letter once - and it was on Manchester... is your subconscious betraying you? lol

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You've got to be kidding me, lol. Sure, Liverpool has The Beatles but that's about it when it comes to good music and that was decades ago. Since then, Manchester has been KNOWN for it's music scene and night life and the amount of popular bands it has produced. The association of music with Manchester is far stronger than with Liverpool. The term "Madchester" didn't come from nowhere.
Madchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mind you, I'm not a football fan and my husband is a City fan but fact of the matter remains, MUFC is a WORLD famous football club. Liverpool is not. Even Americans who are not as interested in "soccer" as the rest of the world, have heard of MUFC - can't say the same for Liverpool!

Fair enough if you prefer living in Liverpool but some of your statements simply aren't true. I do find it interesting though that in your entire paragraph, you only used a capital letter once - and it was on Manchester... is your subconscious betraying you? lol

Geez, I don't know if that one will fly too far.

Each club has a record 18 league titles and multiple successes at the FA and European level.

I guess among younger folks Man U will have a greater recognition factor based on their more recent Premier League and Champion's League successes, but to folks who can remember back to the 80's, the Reds are well known world-wide for domination of the Premiership.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Geez, I don't know if that one will fly too far.

Each club has a record 18 league titles and multiple successes at the FA and European level.
I was talking about fame, not success.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
Just throwing it out there, I'm American, and I have heard of Liverpool.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Just throwing it out there, I'm American, and I have heard of Liverpool.
The city or the football club? I'm not saying no Americans will have heard of their football club - I'm saying most won't have. If you notice, I am also American myself and the only Americans I know who are familiar with Liverpool's football club is my brother and his wife. But they are unique because they've both been really interested in European football for several years now whereas most Americans aren't.

The moment most Americans back home hear I am living in Manchester, they ask "Have you seen a Manchester United game?!" Often, they ask where else I've been in England and when I mention Liverpool, no one ever asks if I went to a Liverpool game. Ask any American to name a famous football player and they'd probably say David Beckham, who once played for MUFC, not Liverpool. Heck, I live IN England and I couldn't name one person who plays for Liverpool but I could name at least a few from MUFC.

If you google "most famous football clubs in the world" - the 3rd website that comes up is MUFC's wikipedia entry. The 4th is an article about how MUFC may be the most famous club in the world but is no longer the richest. The last entry is also an article on MUFC. Liverpool isn't in the google title results at all. They are mentioned on the 6th link (some website called the-top-tens.com) BUT ranked lower than MUFC.

My point is not that Liverpool isn't famous but that clearly, MUFC is far more well known and famous. I've always been under the impression that this was just a known fact so I'm surprised I even have to come up with evidence to support it.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 21,043 times
so you couldn't name Steven Gerrard or Fernando Torres? says more about you than the level of LFC's fame, mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom