Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM

161 posts, read 684,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an undergrad from the States looking to study abroad for semester. One of the choices I get (and the one I'm looking at most) is Leicester University.

Can anyone tell me about the college (good or bad, dorm conditions, etc.) and the city itself? Is it nice? Do I need a bike? How is the general reputation of the college?

I'm just looking for firsthand knowledge and/or experience with the unversity and its surroundings.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM

50 posts, read 183,101 times
One of the daily newspapers, The Independent, has a lot of information on UK universities. This is one article but there will be others if you search their website.

Leicester, University of - A-Z Unis & Colleges , Getting Into University - The Independent

Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 103,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream138 View Post
Hello,

I'm an undergrad from the States looking to study abroad for semester. One of the choices I get (and the one I'm looking at most) is Leicester University.

Can anyone tell me about the college (good or bad, dorm conditions, etc.) and the city itself? Is it nice? Do I need a bike? How is the general reputation of the college?

I'm just looking for firsthand knowledge and/or experience with the unversity and its surroundings.

Thanks!
What are your other UK Choices.

Leicester is okay, very multi-cultural, however there are better cities in terms of nightlife and there are also much more picturesque University towns.

It all depend what you want.

Nottingham University is probably a better choice, as are the so called Green Wellie/ Plate Glass Universities such as Bristol, Exeter, Durham, St Andrews, East Anglia, Warwick, York and Bath.

The Russell Group of Universities includes most of the UK's Research Intensive Universities and includes many Civic and Redbrick Victorian Universities.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell...f_Universities

1994 Group- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group

Golden Triangle Universities - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...K_universities)

Ancient Universities (British Isles) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_universities

Redbrick Universities (UK) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brick_universities

Plate Glass Universities (UK) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_glass_universities

New Universities (UK) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Universities

Leicester University - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Leicester

Hope the links are of some help - All the Best.

Last edited by Chatter; 08-18-2008 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 04:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Nottingham University is probably a better choice, as are the so called Green Wellie/ Plate Glass Universities such as Bristol, Exeter, Durham, St Andrews, East Anglia, Warwick, York and Bath.
"Green wellie" I get but "plate glass"?!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,930 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
You can do better IMHO and the town is rubbish. The university does not have a good reputation.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
"Green wellie" I get but "plate glass"?!
They were built in the '60s; plate glass is a reference to the architecture (much as "red brick" is for the Victorian universities).

Look at the campuses at York, Sussex, East Anglia and you'll see what I mean. VERY '60s.

Leicester is 1994 Group, which is "smaller research universities"--notch below Russell Group overall but often have particular standout departments.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
What are your other UK Choices.

Leicester is okay, very multi-cultural, however there are better cities in terms of nightlife and there are also much more picturesque University towns.

It all depend what you want.

The Russell Group of Universities includes most of the UK's Research Intensive Universities and includes many Civic and Redbrick Victorian Universities.

Russell Group: Home

Russell Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1994 Group- 1994 Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Golden Triangle Universities - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Triangle_(UK_universities)

Ancient Universities (British Isles) - Ancient university - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Redbrick Universities (UK) - Red brick universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plate Glass Universities (UK) - Plate glass university - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Universities (UK) - New Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leicester University - University of Leicester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope the links are of some help - All the Best.
Thank you! My choices are Leicester, Oxford Brookes, Keele and Essex

Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
You can do better IMHO and the town is rubbish. The university does not have a good reputation.
Really? My school's study abroad guy said that if all else fails, I can always do a "Leicester Semester." haha.

To be honest, he made the dorms sound not cute (i.e. bathrooms are gross), but I guess thats every college.

My choices of schools include Oxford Brookes, Leicester, Essex and Keele. Oxford Brookes doesn't offer the English classes I will be needing at that point in time and Keele is too far for my liking. I've been focusing in on Leicester but can you elaborate on the reputation? Is it academically speaking or socially? I haven't researched Essex yet. I'm trying to get a feel for the school one at a time.

Thanks, btw!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Thank you! My choices are Leicester, Oxford Brookes, Keele and Essex
OH! I went to Oxford Brookes! It was a great place to be a student and the school has a very good reputation. And being in Oxford is just fantastic: lots to see and do in town and around it and close to London. But it is an expensive city to live in.

My best friend went to Essex for one semester and didn't like it at all. She said the campus is kinda in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't anything to do around there. But that was quite a few years ago. I have to admit I always thought of Leicester as being a fairly uninteresting city as nothing ever seems to happen there. Or maybe that's a good thing? I'm afraid I don't know anything about Keele.

I'm curious as to why those 4 were your choices? What is it you're looking for at a UK college? Does your current school have links with those 4?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,930 times
Quote:
Really? My school's study abroad guy said that if all else fails, I can always do a "Leicester Semester." haha.

To be honest, he made the dorms sound not cute (i.e. bathrooms are gross), but I guess thats every college.

My choices of schools include Oxford Brookes, Leicester, Essex and Keele. Oxford Brookes doesn't offer the English classes I will be needing at that point in time and Keele is too far for my liking. I've been focusing in on Leicester but can you elaborate on the reputation? Is it academically speaking or socially? I haven't researched Essex yet. I'm trying to get a feel for the school one at a time.

Thanks, btw!
Its reputation is not good academically and its considered a lower tier university within the UK. The town is also not great IMHO. I would choose any of the other 3 before Leicister. If you can go and visit all towns and universities first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom