Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 PM

465 posts, read 1,418,263 times

Advertisements

Here is a thread were it can be discussed.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-20-2008 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
You all can shoot me

From a Scottish point of view from living in this part of Scotland for 22 years (giving away my age now!)

I've never seen violent crime in my area. People are different. You will get some crime in Glasgow obviously as its a city with a population of around 500,000 but no gun crime. You will get fights in a saturday nights. Theres a big nightlife scene in the city which contributes to alot of alcohol related crime. Assaults etc.

I've never felt unsafe in the city, my fiance is American and feels the same.

That's about it really.

Last edited by Scotslass; 11-20-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 AM

318 posts, read 934,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You all can shoot me

From a Scottish point of view from living in this part of Scotland for 22 years (giving away my age now!)

I've never seen violent crime in my area. People are different. You will get some crime in Glasgow obviously as its a city with a population of around 500,000 but no gun crime. You will get fights in a saturday nights. Theres a big nightlife scene in the city which contributes to alot of alcohol related crime. Assaults etc.

I've never felt unsafe in the city, my fiance is American and feels the same.

That's about it really.
Why do think Glasgow never had gun crime? it wasn't far behind London when I lived in Glasgow gun crime was big, gangs are a big problem within the city of Glasgow and for the size of the city it was quite shocking. Glasgow is known as the most violent city in Europe and it will take a while to shake that off I will be curious to see if the crime falls this yr. The city of Glasgow can be compared to many US cities for crime but maybe it should take a look at New York to see how to bring crime down and shake the image of a violent city away.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
but maybe it should take a look at New York to see how to bring crime down and shake the image of a violent city away.
You've never been to New York have you LOL.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
You've never been to New York have you LOL.
I have been to New York yea, I bet you havent been to Glasgow have you.

New York was known as a city that was crime ridden back in the 80's and 90's but crime has fell dramatically that cant be denied for a city the size it is compare it to London and NY has less violent crime. Violent crime per capita is higher in Glasgow than NY city. Lessons can be learnt from how New York has transfomed itself

http://www.reform.co.uk/crimeinglasg...thanny_131.php

Last edited by UK2theUS; 11-20-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,933 times
Quote:
I have been to New York yea, I bet you havent been to Glasgow have you.

New York was known as a city that was crime ridden back in the 80's and 90's but crime has fell dramatically that cant be denied for a city the size it is compare it to London and NY has less violent crime. Violent crime per capita is higher in Glasgow than NY city. Lessons can be learnt from how New York has transfomed itself

http://www.reform.co.uk/crimeinglasg...thanny_131.php

Actually I'm originally from Scotland and yes I have lived around Glasgow, so your arguement is lost there. I have lived (not just visited) on both sides of the pond.

You've never actually lived in or around the New York area and you probably visited as a tourist right? So you have no real experience of crime in New York!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
Actually I'm originally from Scotland and yes I have lived around Glasgow, so your arguement is lost there. I have lived (not just visited) on both sides of the pond.

You've never actually lived in or around the New York area and you probably visited as a tourist right? So you have no real experience of crime in New York!
I have lived in Glasgow myself and I have also lived on both sides of the pond and not just visited, no I have not lived in NY I lived in LA but why would I need experience of crime I have never experienced any violent crime ever so does that mean it doesn't exist . Did you look at the link I posted?

Last edited by UK2theUS; 11-20-2008 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
New York is still crime filled, it's just also a police state now.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
New York is still crime filled, it's just also a police state now.
The crime is nothing compared to what it was so it has gone in the right direction why is it crime filled im currious?

You may find this interesting http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_3_ny_cops.html

Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
I have lived in Glasgow myself and I have also lived on both sides of the pond and not just visited, no I have not lived in NY I lived in LA but why would I need experience of crime I have never experienced any violent crime ever so does that mean it doesn't exist . Did you look at the link I posted?
Actually Glasgow is one of the better UK cities, its really cleaned up its image, lots of money pumped into it new buildings its transformed and very nice. Crime rate of Scotland is going down so we're making progress. Glasgow is better than any US city i've visited. It's friendly, walkable, has awesome shops and restaurants and not to mention what the US lacks, classy pubs.

However NYC was my favourite city out of all of them. But no one can condemn Glasgow now, when was the last time you visited? I was there today and we love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom