Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

What a tragedy. Those poor parents. Now they have to carry that anger and guilt with them forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
John -- how many people DIED in the US last year due to no insurance or lack of insurance? I'd take the NHS over the US "for-profit" system any day, trust me on that.

Human life is more valuable than greedy $$$$.
Zero. it's against the law for any hospital in the United States to turn away patients, for any reason whatsoever. For some reason, this is a very little known fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergen...tive_Labor_Act

Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
I saw the Sixty Minutes show about Remote Area Medical, an outfit that provides medical care to third world countries.
This programme was about how RAM was treating people in knoxville Tennesee.
These people were not substance abusers they were the working poor who as they say on the show had no where else to go.
Google it for yourselves & then complain about the NHS.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Zero. it's against the law for any hospital in the United States to turn away patients, for any reason whatsoever. For some reason, this is a very little known fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act
This may be true for emergencies, but they can refuse anything non-emergency, which leads to many deaths. People here go to the ER as a last resort, waiting until what was a relatively minor problem becomes a major problem.

I saw an article a while ago, which concluded that over 20,000 people DIED in the US, due to lack of insurance. I'll see if I can find the article, but there are a ton of articles concerning deaths in individual states (just Google it).

The bottom line if you have a serious illness / condition such as cancer, diabetes or heart disease (for example), if you don't have a decent insurance policy or the $$$ to pay for something like chemotherapy (in the case of cancer), you'll die, unless you're extremely poor and possible eligible for Medicaid. There are literally tens of thousands of personal stories out there, highlighting the plight of the uninsured and the underinsured here.

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 01-11-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I am thankful that my country does not discriminate when it comes to health care, everyone despite nationality, race, gender, age should be entitled to a health service not how much money you have.

Not saying that the NHS is perfect but we're lucky, my fiance is American and receives the same standard of healthcare that i receive.

As a student nurse i don't mind working private or public either way, people get sick and deserve the proper care no matter what. It's a sad day when you have to have money up front before you get treated.

So what does that tell you.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I am thankful that my country does not discriminate when it comes to health care, everyone despite nationality, race, gender, age should be entitled to a health service not how much money you have.

Not saying that the NHS is perfect but we're lucky, my fiance is American and receives the same standard of healthcare that i receive.

As a student nurse i don't mind working private or public either way, people get sick and deserve the proper care no matter what. It's a sad day when you have to have money up front before you get treated.

So what does that tell you.
The system is broken, due to a combination of bad management, corporate bureaucracy and sheer greed, with a complete lack of government oversight, allowing insurance companies to get away with murder.

I don't have much faith that it'll be fixed anytime soon, even with the new Obama Administration. All they can really do is try to crack down on the abuses of power (and our hard earned cash) by insurance companies and perhaps try to extend the Medicaid scheme to cover a wider selection of the population who are struggling as it is.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
The system is broken, due to a combination of bad management, corporate bureaucracy and sheer greed, with a complete lack of government oversight, allowing insurance companies to get away with murder.

I don't have much faith that it'll be fixed anytime soon, even with the new Obama Administration. All they can really do is try to crack down on the abuses of power (and our hard earned cash) by insurance companies and perhaps try to extend the Medicaid scheme to cover a wider selection of the population who are struggling as it is.
Is medicaid any good?

Dont know much about the U.S system.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 AM

163 posts, read 320,795 times
Quote:

Do you really belive Government oversight will do any good????? It does'nt this side of the pond!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
This may be true for emergencies, but they can refuse anything non-emergency, which leads to many deaths. People here go to the ER as a last resort, waiting until what was a relatively minor problem becomes a major problem.

I saw an article a while ago, which concluded that over 20,000 people DIED in the US, due to lack of insurance. I'll see if I can find the article, but there are a ton of articles concerning deaths in individual states (just Google it).

The bottom line if you have a serious illness / condition such as cancer, diabetes or heart disease (for example), if you don't have a decent insurance policy or the $$$ to pay for something like chemotherapy (in the case of cancer), you'll die, unless you're extremely poor and possible eligible for Medicaid. There are literally tens of thousands of personal stories out there, highlighting the plight of the uninsured and the underinsured here.
I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it. I never had health insurance growing up (my dad just didn't believe it it). When I was 19 and on my own, I had to go to the hospital for what we thought was kidney stones. I had no cash or insurance. When I was discharged they sent me to the financial aid office and set up an interest free payment plan. I'm not special.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:40 PM

124 posts, read 509,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it. I never had health insurance growing up (my dad just didn't believe it it). When I was 19 and on my own, I had to go to the hospital for what we thought was kidney stones. I had no cash or insurance. When I was discharged they sent me to the financial aid office and set up an interest free payment plan. I'm not special.

Medicine is very expensive, sometimes people cannot continue their prescribed treatment once they have left the healthcare facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom