Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times

Advertisements

Are there any Brits that like American country music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Me, only because my fiance is from the South. But its ok i guess.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Define country Music, county music has morphed into more popular music nowadays.

Since I have been in the States I have seen.

Toby Keith
Brad Paisley
Rascall Flatts
Time McGraw

as the headliners

Seen a lot others as supporting acts.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Does Johnny Cash count?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
Just a thought but i would guess it would be more popular in Ireland,Wales,Scotland..
England is more urban and people in larger cities tend to not care for Country music.
Little off topic but i have heard its somewhat popular in Australia and Canada as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
I'm a MASSIVE fan, but unfortunately there isn't much of a scene here in the UK. Early last year or was it the year before, I discovered a digital UK country station that was based somewhere in Scotland, I couldn't pick it up here in London so I would listen occasionally on line. They also had a forum but the whole site shut down and the only thing I'm aware of is, what's his name....it escapes me, but he's had a country show every Wednesday evening on BBC radio 2 which I never listen to because of his selection, some of it is British home grown country, which has a little following here...not my taste.

We also don't get any of the big acts coming here, although I notice Kenny Rodgers sells out whenever he is here and I'm afraid that's what a lot of the British public still consider country. I have my favorite radio stations I listen to on line from cities I've lived in, my favorite being 99.5 The Wolf in Dallas as well as a less commercial station www.radiofreetexas.org

I like em all, from George Jones to relative Newbies like Emerson Drive.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Just a thought but i would guess it would be more popular in Ireland,Wales,Scotland..
England is more urban and people in larger cities tend to not care for Country music.
Little off topic but i have heard its somewhat popular in Australia and Canada as well.
It is. Back in '97 I was over here for a year and got to see Garth Brooks in Dublin. He toured Europe, but left out England. I also once came across a really cool country station when I was in Dublin.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Country music is MEGA-popular in Ireland.

I also recall a couple of actual "country" radio stations in Belfast when I was there a few years ago.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Actually, Country music has always been hugely popular in Australia. We even have our own home-grown artists, Festivals and Industry Awards.

Australian country music - Australia's Culture Portal (http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/music/country/ - broken link)
You Aussies have produced some good un's such as Keith Urban....he may be a cross over but I like some of his stuff. There is also a gal called Jamie O'Neil who had a hit with "There is no Arizona" ...unfortunately that's about the only song of her's I like.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=22tktN87ASk

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You Aussies have produced some good un's such as Keith Urban....he may be a cross over but I like some of his stuff. There is also a gal called Jamie O'Neil who had a hit with "There is no Arizona" ...unfortunately that's about the only song of her's I like.

YouTube - Jamie O'Neal - There Is No Arizona
Do'h, Sorry, I deleted my post!

I'm not a big fan of Keith Urban. I tend to like Slim Dusty, Smokey Dawson, Adam Brand, Lee kernaghan and Steve Ford.

YouTube - Spirit Of The Bush - Lee Kernaghan, Adam Brand & Steve Forde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom