Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You have no idea how funny that comes across

Please share lol did i say something funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Isnt Scotland 98% Scottish people?
Scotland is a fairly small country with a reasonably high population density of approximately 64 people per a square kilometer. If you travel the country you will find that this is merely a statistical average since the population density increases and decreases in various parts of the country. The vast majority of people live in the Central Lowlands, which take the form of a broad, fertile valley and are the best suited to habitation. This is where you will find the country's major cities such as Stirling, Glasgow, Perth, Falkirk and Dundee. Glasgow has the highest population density in the country, while the Scottish Highlands have the lowest population density.

The total number of people living in Scotland was estimated to be 5 116 900 in 2006, which is currently growing at a rate of approximately 0.4%. A number of immigrants continue to make their way into the country at a steady rate. The infant mortality rate is low, with only 4.9 deaths taking place to every 1000 live births. However, the death rate is slightly higher than the birth rate and this is often attributed to murder instead of natural causes, though you can be sure that both play an equal role in the mortality rate. Healthcare systems are good and the average life expectancy at birth is 76.8 years, with woman living the longest. More males are born than females and there are more men in the country than woman. The average Scottish woman gives birth to 1.6 children.

Despite the fact that Scotland is seen as being a strongly European country, it has a surprising diversity of ethnic groups. White Scottish people make up the largest portion of the population at 88.09%. Following them, it is White British (7.38%), other Whites (1.54%), White Irish (0.98%), Pakistani (0.63%), Chinese (0.32%), Indian (0.30%), Mixed (0.25%), other South Asian (0.12%), African (0.10%), Bangladeshi (0.04%), Caribbean (0.04%) and Black Scottish or other Black (0.02%). The main languages in the country are English, Scottish and Gaelic. The literacy rate in Scotland is very high with 99% of the population over the age of 15 being able to read and write. This statistic is spread evenly over both male and female residents. The main religions in Scotland are Protestant, Roman Catholic, Muslim and Judaism.

There are alot of Europeans living in Scotland, i,e Italians, Spanish, Greek, Polish.

So yes i'd say we are multi-cultural especially in the lowlands. Even taking my university for example, there are Africans, Americans, Swedish you name it studying there.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM

250 posts, read 737,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
British culture belongs in it's own 'museum of antiquities'. 100 years from now, people can understand who you were. There could be dioramas with wax figures having tea and crumpets with recorded 'English' conversations.
You might be onto something there.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
There is always talk of this country's culture annd identity being eroded and a couple of weeks ago I heard a French caller on a talk show say it's because Brits have sold out. From American pop culture, Levi's, Halloween, Indian food to Asylum seekers, there's nothing left. I drove past a pub today that was a jumpin place back in the day, now it's a Sushi bar. Parts of Commercial street in Mild End looks like a large open air market in Bangladesh. What gives England? Even my favorite high street stores are closing down.
The whole world is influenced by American culture, not just England/Britain.

But I was under the impression that Indian Food has been a part of English culture for a long time, not just recently.

History of Indian Restaurants & Curry Houses

I always understood Indian food to have been adopted as a part of English culture, not a loss of English culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom