U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,340,057 times

Advertisements

As part of my attempts to stay worldly in my views and knowledge, I browse the BBC for part of my daily dose of news. Recently there was a "Have Your Say" on the BBC website asking people if they thought that racism was no longer a concern of the people and that just because one is black or Asian doesn't necessarily mean you are disadvantaged any longer. I was curious what people thought, and I was shocked - the top 10 responses as nominated by readers was the assertion that ethnic British - and more generally whites - are now the disadvantaged.

What do you have to say about that? Is this representative of the majority's feelings in the UK? Or is this venting online?

Moderator cut: Use the Politics forum if you wish to discuss racism in the US

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-14-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,340,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As part of my attempts to stay worldly in my views and knowledge, I browse the BBC for part of my daily dose of news. Recently there was a "Have Your Say" on the BBC website asking people if they thought that racism was no longer a concern of the people and that just because one is black or Asian doesn't necessarily mean you are disadvantaged any longer. I was curious what people thought, and I was shocked - the top 10 responses as nominated by readers was the assertion that ethnic British - and more generally whites - are now the disadvantaged.

What do you have to say about that? Is this representative of the majority's feelings in the UK? Or is this venting online?

Moderator cut: Use the Politics forum if you wish to discuss racism in the US

Here is a link to the BBC Have Your Say poll:

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Are ethnic minorities still disadvantaged?

The basic gist of my post is that I seek comment on the BBC poll. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I'm not trying to troll and I"m not trying to stir up acrimonious debate, I'm simply seeking what others think.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,228 times
Yes I agree...white are now discriminated against in the Uk...like America we have become over sensitive to minorities at the sake of true Democracy

As a member of a minority group I had voted and agreed to a Democratic vote..now I am at a loss as I feel the Democracy is rigged to allow for minorities...so how can that be a Democracy. It is beginning to sound like something out of Animal farm..in order to make us equal some are more equal than others???

Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM

119 posts, read 239,314 times
I disagree. Firstly, always take those BBC forums with a pinch of salt, they are usually full of the same people, ranting on about the same things (regardless of either the reality or in fact the relevance of them posting anything at all). Some people just like to tell others their opinions.
Secondly, a large amount of legislation has been passed in this country, making it illegal to discriminate in the labour market on any grounds (race, sex etc.) other than ability. This was done to counter what was viewed as long term institutional racism (whereby despite a sizable portion of the population came from an ethnic background, very few judges, top policemen, politicians etc. were anything but white).
Along with this, scare stories often appear in the papers about Christmas being cancelled, or asylum seekers living in mansions (usually with absolutely no relation to the truth), which perpetrate the myth that political correctness has reached a point where all governmental bodies favour anyone but the 'indigenous' population (itself a ridiculous concept).
However, positive discrimination is illegal, so there is very little chance of employers getting away with selecting ethnic minorities over white people, and government bodies are strictly monitored to make sure that race is never a factor between candidates for a service. Furthermore, racism still exists in some areas of society, whether it be the sort we've seen in the past or new prejudices, such as Islamaphobia. Police stop-and-searches still inordinately stop more young black men than any other demographic, and white, upper class people still hold a disproportionate number of powerful jobs.
So no, I don't think that racism against whites is a particularly prevalent issue in the UK.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM

11,802 posts, read 8,191,828 times
Positive discrimination does exist, and seems to be legal. A friend of mine has been told that she can not have a change in housing, and guess why.
She is not the right colour. A relative of hers has been given everything she asks for due to her being of mixed race. Don’t you just love equality!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM

119 posts, read 239,314 times
Well it is illegal, so if your friend can prove that she has been denied anything on the basis of her colour she can take the council to court. If this is really the case, I urge you to get her to investigate and take the issue up.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM

361 posts, read 1,003,220 times
Both America and the UK should just say screw it and flee to Australia. I'm American and my grandmother is an (English) Rhodesian ex-pat living in Surrey. There is no doubt about it, both these countries are just flushing themselves down the toilet. I say let em, at least it'll wake some of these idiots up. Might as well just start over in a different location and only allow people that actually have their heads screwed on right to become citizens.

Of course, I am just joking, but racism works both ways, and we should not be forced to deal with legalized discrimination just because we were born a certain color. You should see the racial favoritism over here in the states, both politically and socially, when it comes to dealing with illegal immigration- but I'm not going to name any nationalities.

But I really do wonder where both these countries are going to end up 20-30 years from now, if they continue on this path.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 16,258,485 times
I don't think it is racism. But I do think that the attempt to implement multi-culturalism is leading to unintended consequences which upsets a lot of the more traditional white British.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,577,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't think it is racism. But I do think that the attempt to implement multi-culturalism is leading to unintended consequences which upsets a lot of the more traditional white British.
Jaggy, I have to agree with you there.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM

11,802 posts, read 8,191,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Well it is illegal, so if your friend can prove that she has been denied anything on the basis of her colour she can take the council to court. If this is really the case, I urge you to get her to investigate and take the issue up.
It is the case. She wasn’t recording the conversation though, so there is no proof, and even if she did have proof, she is scared that she will be attacked in some way for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom