Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
Cheddar cheese, is like the beige or magnolia of the cheese world!! Interestingly there are more varieties of cheese in the UK than there are in France.

American cheese is not even cheese, even bacteria won't touch it.
There are some fantastic Cheddars. The brand I buy is aged five years and is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
You can find most American stuff in England. Send California Wine, but not Gallo, something like Opus or some very specific varietal. Wine from Oregon, they have a red wine from there (I don't recall the grape variety) that is delicious. I've never seen Jerkies and Pepto Bismol, you can send them together. Something weird, M.D.

In any local Seven Eleven you'll find lots of little items you don't find anywhere else on earth.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Do you all realize the advice asked was 4 years ago?

I have to point out that the cost of shipping anything between the US and UK is prohibitive! I tried to ship some British biscuits to a friend in PA and it was something like £30 for 4 boxes.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I live in a mid size town (about 200,000) in northeast Texas and finding fabulous cheeses is as easy as driving ten minutes to the grocery store. We have a cheese section that is absolutely fantastic along with very helpful and knowledgeable staff. They also have a variety of cheeses to taste on any given day. To top that off, they have a huge choice of crackers and breads and they pair wines (both domestic and international), sausages and fruits with the different cheeses, changing the displays several times a week. We can also buy a "sampler" with about five different cheeses and some nuts and/or sausages if we want to try new cheeses out. Oh, and on most weekends, there are wine tastings in that section as well.

In this section, we also have clotted cream and creme fraiche, and right next door in the adjoining section is a huge selection of deli meats from all over the world.

One of my favorite parts of this section of the store is that we also have fresh hummus options - about 8 of them usually - and we can taste them, as well as other spreads, to our heart's content - using little disposable spoons and cups. Then we can walk around the corner and taste a wide variety of fresh baked breads before making our choice. The breads are baked right there on a daily basis - multigrain, sourdough, herbs, cheeses, brioches, cornbreads, rolls, croissants, scones, coffee cakes, you name it. I love that we can pick out a loaf and have it sliced right there, while it's still warm from the oven.

"Right here in River City."

This is common in mid size towns across the US. Small towns, not so much, but larger towns and cities - no problem whatsoever finding great cheeses, meats, wines, fresh baked goods, etc.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live in a mid size town (about 200,000) in northeast Texas and finding fabulous cheeses is as easy as driving ten minutes to the grocery store. We have a cheese section that is absolutely fantastic along with very helpful and knowledgeable staff. They also have a variety of cheeses to taste on any given day. To top that off, they have a huge choice of crackers and breads and they pair wines (both domestic and international), sausages and fruits with the different cheeses, changing the displays several times a week. We can also buy a "sampler" with about five different cheeses and some nuts and/or sausages if we want to try new cheeses out. Oh, and on most weekends, there are wine tastings in that section as well.

In this section, we also have clotted cream and creme fraiche, and right next door in the adjoining section is a huge selection of deli meats from all over the world.

One of my favorite parts of this section of the store is that we also have fresh hummus options - about 8 of them usually - and we can taste them, as well as other spreads, to our heart's content - using little disposable spoons and cups. Then we can walk around the corner and taste a wide variety of fresh baked breads before making our choice. The breads are baked right there on a daily basis - multigrain, sourdough, herbs, cheeses, brioches, cornbreads, rolls, croissants, scones, coffee cakes, you name it. I love that we can pick out a loaf and have it sliced right there, while it's still warm from the oven.

This is common in mid size towns across the US. Small towns, not so much, but larger towns and cities - no problem whatsoever finding great cheeses, meats, wines, fresh baked goods, etc.
I never had any trouble finding good cheeses in the US. Not all cheese sold in the US is that processed rubbish.

Can't say I've ever found a croissant as good as in France or Belgium, or scones as good as in Scotland. I'm always baffled by those hard triangular things they call scones in Panera Bread and other places.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I never had any trouble finding good cheeses in the US. Not all cheese sold in the US is that processed rubbish.

Can't say I've ever found a croissant as good as in France or Belgium, or scones as good as in Scotland. I'm always baffled by those hard triangular things they call scones in Panera Bread and other places.
Panera's scones are definitely soft nowdays. I eat them once in a while. Definitely not as good as the ones in the UK though

Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I make my own scones most of the time - they're very easy to make. But the ones at my local grocery store are flaky on the outside but soft on the inside. They're delicious! I don't care for the ones you can buy at Panera Bread or Starbucks.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

It's much the same in Canada, however probably like Texas it depends on the grocery store. One store near me probably only has 60 types of cheese, another one over 200 types. This is not counting specialty cheese shops of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom