Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,974 times

Advertisements

A friend who from London has a birthday coming up so I thought it would be cool to send her some things that we have here in the U.S. (particularly california) that you guys don't have over in the u.k. Any suggestions of favorites from those of you who have been to the U.S.? Keep in mind it has to be able to be shipped. Thanks!! By the way she is a vegetarian if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I don't know what they don't have in the UK, but maybe Vermont Maple Syrup and pancake mix, California wine, boston baked beans and brown bread, shrimp and grits mix, Moon Pies?
Can you find some reruns of the TV show that Paula Deen's sons had on the Food Network? They went to a lot of American regional food places and everyone on the show had a direct mail order.
There are probably restrictions on what you can ship, so you might check on that first.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,526 times
Maple syrup for sure. I don't think you can ship alcohol, but I may be wrong. Decent organic peanut butter might work.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,974 times
Do they not have real maple syrup in the UK? I actually just found out that no one eats waffles over there haha. thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Do they not have real maple syrup in the UK? I actually just found out that no one eats waffles over there haha. thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming!
Yes, we have maple syrup (our food store only carries one brand but it's still available and it's 100% maple syrup) and yes, we eat waffles. For starters, we have Belgium waffles which are sweeter than American waffles and ate for dessert rather than breakfast but they are very similar so it's easy to find waffle makers and if worse comes to worse, you can make the American mix from scratch. But secondly, some food stores supply American style waffles as well as some bisquick-like mixes. Also, some hotel restaurants offer American style waffles. I can't say American style waffles are very popular but they are possible to find/make.

The same goes for American style pancakes. Over here, "pancakes" are what Americans call crepes. But again, you can find American style pancakes at restaurants (more common than the waffles too) and as mixes at the food store.

There isn't a huge amount that you absolutely can't find in the UK. But one of the things I really miss is Tastykakes: Tastykake.com but last I knew, that was a very regional east coast thing so probably not even available in California.

Also nothing to do with CA but I once brought my MIL some Apple Butter because she'd never heard of it before.

My husband missed Crystal Light, can't get that here.

Although some of the food stores claim to supply it on their website, it is very difficult for me to find Cracklin' Oat Bran. Also, the Cheerios over here is the multigrain kind (or honey nut), not the traditional kind.

I swear the bacon over here is salted more than bacon in the US. So whenever I'm visiting home, I always make sure to have some bacon!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
How about grits? I'm pretty sure you can't buy those but then again, even if you could I'm pretty sure nobody would

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
How about grits? I'm pretty sure you can't buy those but then again, even if you could I'm pretty sure nobody would
That and scrapple. But isn't grits more of a dish you have to make? I don't think it would be easy to ship, lol.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
polent and grits are basically the same thing...sep for color of corn...white vs. yellow

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
Grape jelly !!

It's hard to find, certainly around my local area.

i got hooked on it in the US, and now i import it regularly.

Apart from that, maybe some chocolate, or confectionery.

We can't get things like Twinkies. For a while, it was hard to get Reese's peanut stuff, but a lot of places are carrying that now.

remember it's not allowed to send meat, or dairy products.
Although I'm not sure how that goes for tinned meat ??

Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,727 times
Pumpkin Butter is great and I haven't see it here, and our pumpkin pie mix is crap in comparison. Your stuffing is ten times better than ours so maybe that, and possibly some good old American crunchy peanut butter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom