U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM

7,438 posts, read 13,313,851 times

Advertisements

Lets face it the USA has pitiful public transit. I believe the lack of is intentional and not just by the politicians themself. Many Americans are responsible for the lack of also. They don't want it because it is beneath them, and so are the people that ride it. I don't know where this mindset began, but it sure as hell exists in much of America. Now I don't feel that way. I absolutely believe in public transit at least in major cities and metro's.

One would think that all Americans have tons of money for car payments, insurance, car maintenance and yes lets not forget all that gas for those precious vehicles. Unfortunately many Americans cannot afford that vehicle and what goes with it, but are just about forced to. own one. Unless they can swing the biggest cities to live in where there is transit. Its a rather sad scenario in the US and a rather selfish way of life, to force on the many Americans that understand the importance of public transit.

I'm spending the year in the Phoenix area right now. I have been here 5 weeks. Nice area in many ways, but this is the perfect example of America at its worst for public transit. The 5th largest Metro well on its way to be 4th, and the tranist is so pathetic one must have a vehicle to survive in most of the region. It has to be a vehicle in good condtion at all times, because breaking down in this heat could prove to be deadly. Phoenix for years refused any type of efficient transit and only has had a mediocre bus system at best. The bus system does not even service some large suburbs at all. I think some buses in much of the system barely comes once an hour and not on weekends. Now there is a 1 line light rail but it doesn't make a dent in the transit needs here. So think what you want but the population here as well as the politicians are to blame, because they don't care about transit. Again its beneath them, to expensive and Arizonan's drive cars not take the bus. God forbid that. Very sad and I'll be honest. I have to really bite my tongue with many people in the US, that continually gripe about the price of gas. Yet they would not walk to a bus or even a train stop, should there be one to take them where they need to go. I mean I really really have to bite my tongue. When I visit family in Ireland or have been in other parts of Europe where gas is more than double the cost here. I have heard people complain about the cost of fuel, but nothing on the levels as in this country. Yet many Europeans must drive miles at least in the country areas just like Americans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM

12,438 posts, read 11,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Lets face it the USA has pitiful public transit. I believe the lack of is intentional and not just by the politicians themself. Many Americans are responsible for the lack of also. They don't want it because it is beneath them, and so are the people that ride it. I don't know where this mindset began, but it sure as hell exists in much of America. Now I don't feel that way. I absolutely believe in public transit at least in major cities and metro's.

One would think that all Americans have tons of money for car payments, insurance, car maintenance and yes lets not forget all that gas for those precious vehicles. Unfortunately many Americans cannot afford that vehicle and what goes with it, but are just about forced to. own one. Unless they can swing the biggest cities to live in where there is transit. Its a rather sad scenario in the US and a rather selfish way of life, to force on the many Americans that understand the importance of public transit.

I'm spending the year in the Phoenix area right now. I have been here 5 weeks. Nice area in many ways, but this is the perfect example of America at its worst for public transit. The 5th largest Metro well on its way to be 4th, and the tranist is so pathetic one must have a vehicle to survive in most of the region. It has to be a vehicle in good condtion at all times, because breaking down in this heat could prove to be deadly. Phoenix for years refused any type of efficient transit and only has had a mediocre bus system at best. The bus system does not even service some large suburbs at all. I think some buses in much of the system barely comes once an hour and not on weekends. Now there is a 1 line light rail but it doesn't make a dent in the transit needs here. So think what you want but the population here as well as the politicians are to blame, because they don't care about transit. Again its beneath them, to expensive and Arizonan's drive cars not take the bus. God forbid that. Very sad and I'll be honest. I have to really bite my tongue with many people in the US, that continually gripe about the price of gas. Yet they would not walk to a bus or even a train stop, should there be one to take them where they need to go. I mean I really really have to bite my tongue. When I visit family in Ireland or have been in other parts of Europe where gas is more than double the cost here. I have heard people complain about the cost of fuel, but nothing on the levels as in this country. Yet many Europeans must drive miles at least in the country areas just like Americans.
You hit the nail on the head. The reason the US lacks decent public transport in the big cities, is because those further afield from the city will not back the taxes needed to build and maintain such systems. Americans are selfish, plain and simple. The whole mindset here is "I've got mine, now get lost". Americans despise taxes of any sort and would prefer there to be zero tax. America is on a path to failure, and this selfishness which causes a hatred of taxes is one of the prime reasons.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,208,528 times
^ The American idea of individualism, as opposed to the collectivist culture of say Asian countries, plays a pretty key role here. It isn't just selfish, people believe they shouldn't have to pay for something that they don't use, values are totally different...

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM

4,822 posts, read 3,990,600 times
Philadelphia's transit system is excellent it's just that some lines, especially the Market Street subway can have some iffy clientele. Also, the trolley-streetcars running on tracks connected to the overhead wire is very European looking as well. Philly's transit gets a bum rap.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,776,382 times
Lol, we're getting there. too many thousand lane freeways

Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,310,223 times
Philadelphia has a really interesting mish-mosh of transit options: commuter rail, subway, trolley/light rail, trackless trolley, and buses. I think we have the last suburban streetcar routes anywhere in the country as well. I did well for four years without a car and rarely even needed to take a bus. I got by using either the subway or the trolley/light rail system, as well as the commuter trains. The city is largely built around its old transit network, so most things are within walking distance of a transit link. It was never completed though. The subway system was supposed to be a lot more comprehensive, but I think that's the same story in most US cities. There's few examples of US cities that were dense enough, or urban oriented enough, to build up significant non-auto transit infrastructure in the post WWII period. Most cities are still getting by with their legacy infrastructure.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 AM

287 posts, read 288,890 times
Philadelphia's public transportation overall is better than New York.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,087,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
Does Portland or Seattle compare to Europeans cities?
Probably a small European somewhere has as low ridership.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM

11,956 posts, read 11,099,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Philadelphia's public transportation overall is better than New York.
Lol, go back to being Anti-Philly.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM

1,966 posts, read 3,060,844 times
Chicago and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or