Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 117,504 times

Advertisements

What Americans cities equal European cities public transportation?

Cities that come to mind
1.New York
2.San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
What Americans cities equal European cities public transportation?

Cities that come to mind
1.New York
2.San Francisco
Obviously, it depends which cities you are comparing. However:

New York
Washington DC
Boston
Chicago

From my experience.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Portland

Does Portland or Seattle compare to Europeans cities?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Obviously, it depends which cities you are comparing. However:

New York
Washington DC
Boston
Chicago

From my experience.
So only 4 cities out of 50 states are not car-dependent?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
So only 4 cities out of 50 states are not car-dependent?
That isn't what I said.

The cities I mentioned are ones where 1) I have been and 2) have excellent public transportation. There may well be others where I have not been that are comparable to European cities.

A great many US cities have public transportation. For example, LA has bus, train and subway. Phoenix has just invested heavily in light rail (tram) and also has bus. Philadelphia has trains, bus and a subway, etc, etc.. But do they compare to European cities?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That isn't what I said.

The cities I mentioned are ones where 1) I have been and 2) have excellent public transportation. There may well be others where I have not been that are comparable to European cities.

A great many US cities have public transportation. For example, LA has bus, train and subway. Phoenix has just invested heavily in light rail (tram) and also has bus. Philadelphia has trains, bus and a subway, etc, etc.. But do they compare to European cities?
I think maybe Philadelphia but not Los Angeles or Phoenix.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I think maybe Philadelphia but not Los Angeles or Phoenix.
Yes, I agree with you in terms of a comparison with European cities.

However, just because their public transportation infrastructure is not as developed as most European cities does not mean that they are devoid of public transport which was the point I was trying to make to Edu983.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Only New York City can match what is found in larger European cities. Places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Washington DC, Portland, and Philadelphia are decent enough to get around in without a car, but they are certainly behind large European cities. Other US cities beyond these have transit, but they are rather pathetic compared to Europe's cities.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Default American vs European

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Only New York City can match what is found in larger European cities. Places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Washington DC, Portland, and Philadelphia are decent enough to get around in without a car, but they are certainly behind large European cities. Other US cities beyond these have transit, but they are rather pathetic compared to Europe's cities.
What larger European cities you talking about?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Quote:
What larger European cities you talking about?
Well, I can only speak for the cities I have been to. I have used the transit systems of these cities in Europe:

Madrid
Barcelona
Prague
Vienna
Munich
Nuremberg

I do know that comparable transit to these can be found in just about all large cities in Europe. London, Paris, Berlin and other top tier cities of course have top-notch transit systems. I live in Chicago without a car, so I know what it's like from the perspective of someone who lives in one of the best American cities for transit. Chicago's system is not up to par with the cities I have visited in Europe, except for maybe Nuremberg which is much smaller than Chicago. Actually most of those are smaller than Chicago, but trump it anyway.

If you want to include Canada, Montreal and Toronto have pretty good transit systems. Still not up to much of Europe's or NYC standards, but really good for North American.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 06-09-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning